TKR Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brithael, is the game called Everlasting or something like that? My sister-in-law has played online for years and has many"friends". She goes on around 6p.m. Because she plays with people all over the world. What rang the bell was when you said " guild". I have heard her say " my guild". She and Herron used to go to a convention in California every year. She just moved to N.C. Last year so I do not know if she will attend this year.
 
Jean, I had PT today I told the therapist about the visit with the OS yesterday. He said Dr. Colquhoun was right about the exercise where you put foot under the chair and lean forward. He said it was an excellent exercise to improve the bend and to help break up scar tissue. So my reward for opening my big mouth was to do five of those! They really turned the heat up today and I was sore when I limped out of there! Came home and hubby wrapped with ice, gave me a pain pill, and propped my foot up. Gonna miss my favorite "nurse" come Monday!
 
I think she'll have a good time. In a way I wish it were sooner. She needs a little mini-vacation right now. I'll have to ask her and my husband if they know of your guild. Wouldn't it be funny if they were in yours??
 
Carolina girl, I'll bet that's the convention my daughter is going to in November!

So that exercise really helps, huh? Wouldn't you know it! All we need to do is five? I've been doing 10! If it works, I guess we have to do them.....

My "nurse" went back to work yesterday. He was only home for a week, but a girl can get used to that extra attention!
 
Carolina - the game you're talking about is Everquest. I've never played it, although I've heard of it. The game my family (and all my family plays it children, grandchildren, husband) plays is World of Warcraft. It's a fun fantasy game.

I haven't been given that exercise you talked about, but it sounds nasty. I don't think I want to try it.
 
As a divorced person (was married 9 yrs, got divorced 12 yrs ago), I'm just chiming in with a note of support for your daughter. "Damaged goods" not at all!!! Rather, someone who had the courage to change a bad or dead-end situation. Not sure how old she is, but there are a whole lot of us divorced people out there, and we are not "damaged goods." I haven't seen a mention of whether she has children, but if not, she has all the benefits of being single on her side now. Indeed I always describe myself as "single" as opposed to "divorced." She is smart to stay busy now.

And congratulations to you on having both TKR's behind you! Did I see somewhere that you teach or do other work in a school or for a school district? Same here! Best wishes to you and your daughter.
 
Thanks for the encouraging words. It truly broke my heart to hear her say that. She will turn 29 in two weeks, so she is very young. Thankfully, there were no children. I think she sees her old friends now having kids and she feels like this is what she should be doing now. I will tell her about saying "single" instead of "divorced."

I do indeed work as a paraeducator in a middle school. We start back next Monday! Monday and Tuesday are in-service days and then the kids come on Wednesday. Are you a teacher, too?? Since it will only be two weeks since my latest TKR when we go back, I know there will be challenges. I'm lucky that my principal and the teachers I work with all know the situation and seem very supportive. I think I should be ready...yesterday my flexion was 110 and my extension was 3. Much better at six days out than my first knee in late June.
 
Bless you paras, you do SUCH hard work for such poor pay in most areas. I'm a teacher and am very grateful to have two more weeks of recuperation. I went to a meeting today, first time at school since my TKR. I managed the 18-minute commute fine but left the meeting after an hour and 15 min., just couldn't sit comfortably any longer. Truthfully, I was using today as a test to see how I would make out. We have three workshop days the 27th-29th, then the kids come on Sept. 3. We start later around here than most of the rest of the U.S. does. I very much doubt that I'm going to be ready to go back full-time and am just going to cross that bridge when I come to it.

Yes. 29 is young, so young that she will absolutely move on from this and it will just be a closed chapter in her life. And yes, thankfully no children, so she will have no ties to the guy. As for having kids being what she "should" be doing now, one of the best pieces of advice I got was "don't 'should' on yourself." :wink:

Good luck Monday! You really are jumping back in fast! - especially with those high-energy middle school kids! Take care and let us know how you make out! - Diane in Maine
 
Thank you for saying that! We are currently in the middle of contact negotiations and I'm on the negotiations team. We are going back without a contract. We didn't think an 11 cent raise for our newer paras was acceptable.

I'm lucky in that I spend part of my day in the office and another part in the Media Center. I can sit in those places. My principal's mother had TKR last year. She lives with him, so he gets it. The teachers I work with will let me sit if I need to. They also know I'll be bringing ice packs and will be resting in the nurse's office twice a day. I work with sixth graders and for the first week or so, they walk around with the " deer in the headlights" look on their faces. I'll mostly be helping them with lockers and letting them know where the bathrooms are!

I'm going to try driving on Sunday to see if I can do it. I have several co-workers who have offered rides. With the knee I did in June I was driving in two weeks. This latest is my driving leg, but I hope I can do it!
 
Hi Lovestoread- so glad you are doing well and grateful to be able to follow the progress of a Dr. Berger pt. who had both knees done. I had my pre-op
class today, blood donation etc. You are so right about the nurses. I couldn't be more impressed and almost fell off my chair when they said that you go home after surgery with all of their cell phone #'s- including Dr. Berger's! Keep up the good work. You're my inspiration!
 
I can't sing his praises enough! I'm almost embarrassed to say I have very little pain. Of course I take all the meds I was prescribed! At my home therapy session on Monday, my flexion was 110 and my extension was 3 . She laughed and said the out-patient therapist wouldn't have anything to do. I have had to call the nurses several times for various things and they have all called back within the hour, called my pharmacy, etc.

I thought the class was great. My only complaint is that you sure have a lot of walking to do, and we're the folks who are having trouble walking! I also think it's great that they give you that wonderful ice machine....couldn't get by without it. You bring it back to the hospital for your second knee.

I was leery about having an epidural. Never having had one, it made me nervous. They do give you the ""happy juice" so it's not bad at all. I don't remember a thing from either surgery. The last thing I wanted was to wake up during the procedure!

Good luck to you! Let me know if you think of any questions!
 
Wow Jean! Dr. Berger needs to put you on his web page as a success story! I really believe not having staples makes a huge difference! When I got mine out at two weeks I could only get 84 flex but extension was -1. I am still amazed how your OS is able to do all he has to do through such a small incision!
 
Oh, you're funny! But I do think you might be right about the staples. Having just the glue certainly must make a difference. Although both knees were done the same way, this second one does seem to be progressing more quickly. Then again, the first knee was the worst knee, so I guess it makes sense that it would be a little tougher.

My home therapy for the first knee wasn't really all that great. I didn't know of any places, so the doctor's office set it up. When I started out-patient, the therapist would ask if I had done various things, and the answer was always no. Didn't make much progress until out-patient started. This time around, for my home therapy I have the same therapist I had for out-patient, so I know a little more about what to do. I'm just trying not to over-do and have a setback.

I'm amazed at the size of the incision too! At my pre-op class I held the knee they put in and it amazes me that it fit. They must really use those retractors to stretch things out. I do want to say that the small size of the incision was not the reason I went with the doctor I did. What made me choose him was the faster recovery. Granted, I still have the same amount of physical therapy everyone has, but those first few weeks are quite a bit easier.

It sounds to me like you are really coming along yourself! Isn't it great to be able to do "normal" things again and talk about our knee replacements in the past tense?
 
What middle school do you work at?? Glad you are doing so well; whenever I read your posts I get less nervous. And yes, there is always something to worry with our kids, no matter what the age. She is probably not ready yet for a relationship, but tell her to try on-line dating;after dating many, many people, I tried it and that is where I met my husband. I personally know of a lot of people who got married this way. But,. I do give her a lot of credit for not moping around the house and getting out and about. Keep the good work!!!
 
Another question; are you saying that Dr. Bergr uses glue instead of staples of stiches?
 
Another question; are you saying that Dr. Bergr uses glue instead of staples of stiches?

Yes, he uses glue...no staples, but for some odd reason there is one stitch at each end of the incision. When I went for my post op, he took those out.
 
Absolutely gorgeous day today! Hubby drove us to a local park where I did a little bit of walking (only 10-15 minutes). Sure felt good to be outside! It's only about 3 miles from home, but thought I'd give driving a try. Was going to wait until tomorrow to see if I could do it. I drove home with no problem! I start back to school on Monday and have several people on standby as drivers. Guess I won't need them! (It's less than four miles to school and there's virtually no traffic, so I should be ok.)
 
Good for you! I was wondering about you driving to work with your latest knee being your right. I'm hoping that maybe I'll get cleared for driving this Wednesday. Yesterday, I only had 1/2 Norco all day, and today haven't had any, so pretty much off the strong stuff!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom