TKR Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to be doing OK with Tylenol pm. Still have the hot/cold thing at night though - drives me crazy. I'm going my primary care Weds after my 6 week OS visit. I'm going to see if there is something I can do for these temperature swings.
 
Are the temperature changes from the Norco? I haven't had any problems like that....thankfully.
 
Should I be worried?? Yesterday I decided to shave my legs....going to out-patient P/T today, thought I'd "freshen up." Later I noticed a slight rash on my knee and just above it. It's almost not noticeable, but it's there...and a little itchy. I do have very sensitive skin and this is not something that hasn't happened many times before. The P/T noticed it as well. I'm thinking I should call the doctor's office in the morning if it's still there tomorrow. Should I put cortisone cream on it?? I don't have it anywhere else on my leg.
 
How's going back to work? How's your rash? Hope all is well.
 
Work hasn't been too bad other than Monday and Tuesday I sat in meetings all day which killed my lower back! I was almost in tears on Monday. My knee is doing pretty well...I do keep it on ice on and off throughout the day and that works pretty well so far.

The good news is at therapy today I was at 115! The therapist was very impressed. Unfortunately, just like with the first knee, my extension stinks....7. I know it's only been two weeks, but still. She doesn't want to work on it too much until the back feels better, though.

Rash is still there, which is not unusual. It can take a week or so to go away. I did call the doctor's office and the said as long as it's not affecting the incision, which it isn't, just to keep putting cortizone cream on it.

Thanks for checking on me! Hope all is well with you, too!
 
Did you ever get that TENS unit? If so, use it on your back - it did wonders for mine! If you don't have it, make sure you've got a wedgie type pillow for your lower back and elevate your feet on a stool or a stack of books. Anything that helps straighten the spine. WOW 115 at what two weeks! WTG!

My extension is the worst part too. My OS told me why my IT band hurts so much today. My leg was crooked before surgery, and it had shortened. Now that it's straight, the IT band is not a happy camper. Just got to keep on stretching!
 
I did get one and have been using it every day. She used one at therapy today, too. It feels great when I'm using it, but quickly wears off. I'm actually using a wedge pillow right now! Sadly, it's when I elevate my legs that more pressure is put on my lower spine and starts the pain cycle. So frustrating, but I'm going to keep working it! The pain is starting to radiate to my lower legs now, so that's not good either. I need prednisone or cortisone, but they are no-nos for six months.....so maybe February?? ;(

The therapist said my extension has probably been bad for years due to the arthritis and will probably take time. I know it will come in time.
 
So sorry about the leg elevation. That always helped me with my back, but then backs (as knees) are all different. Glad the TENS unit does help. I've been lucky with mine, I've only used it on my back about three times since I got it. I've already used in on my hamstring twice!
 
Ok Bonesmarties, I need your help! This was the first week I've been without my TED hose. I almost wish I was still wearing them! When I had my first knee done in June, I wore shorts around the house after three weeks of wearing the TED's. I'm back to work now and was so excited to wear capris the other day. Can you say, "ouch"??? They rubbed both incisions all day. The last few days I've been digging through the closet finding skirts and sun-dresses. I don't have very many and don't really want to buy a new wardrobe. Any suggestions on what to do to be a little more comfortable wearing pants or capris??
 
Hi, I know where you're coming from. OUCH and ARGGGG.....I bought some micropore tape and placed a thin layer of tissue under to make a kind of band aid. I bend my knees and then put this over the scars. It's comfortable and not bulky. Don't make it thick as it may press on the scar and that will be most uncomfortable.
Hope this works
Wanda
 
Thanks Wanda! I'll give it a try tomorrow. I plan on wearing shorts all weekend, but can't wear them to work!
 
Hi ... I don't know where you are in the U.S. but I know that for a very long time after my surgery I wore shorts. I got 3 pairs of them a size or two larger than I usually wore, so they'd be easier to get on. It worked well for me, and maybe it would work for you, too.
abby
 
Thanks Amberpep and Recycled.....the problem is I'm back to work and shorts aren't appropriate work attire. As soon as I get home, believe you me, I put shorts on. I'll be wearing shorts to therapy today as well as all weekend.
 
I am having the same problem with trousers and sportswear - even sheets sometimes

What I find works is something that puts consistant pressure on the knee rather than flapping against now and again (sort of like TED without the really hard pressure) - I find that leggings or tights work well with a long shirt/tunic or dress. This is what I did for the wedding I attended last weekend

Hope you find something comfy
 
Lovestoread .... do you have some skirts or dresses you could wear?
abby

That's what I've been wearing, but like I said, don't have lots of skirts, etc. I don't want to have to buy all new clothes. Wondering how long this lasts??
 
I am having the same problem with trousers and sportswear - even sheets sometimes

What I find works is something that puts consistant pressure on the knee rather than flapping against now and again (sort of like TED without the really hard pressure) - I find that leggings or tights work well with a long shirt/tunic or dress. This is what I did for the wedding I attended last weekend

Hope you find something comfy

I know what you mean....I almost want to put the TED hose back on! It's going to be 96 degrees today, though and the thought of those hose or tights with long pants over them just kills me. Hopefully the weather will cool down soon!
 
I am starting back to work next week and beginning to think about this. I've got a few t-shirt cotton summer dresses, but like you not much else that is work appropriate. I wore tights one day and that worked, but will try the idea with the tape and tissue. Any one know how long till it's realistic to think about slacks...fall and winter will be on the way all to soon?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom