Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I'm with Spex10 from Scotland and it's shoes and socks outside and slippers inside.
 
Or if you have nerve damage in your foot and socks and shoes literally hurt your foot. Delaware winters are not as bad as more northern states, I lived in Ohio for 7 years before moving to Delaware 3 years ago, but winter is very difficult for me (plus my knee and the pants issue!)

I’m in sandals outside and barefoot inside as much as possible!
 
One month today! My steri-strips are finally beginning to fall off, slooooooooowly but surely. I'm not liking the looks of the scar, naturally, but am hopeful it'll fade away into a thin, pale white line. It never has before, but hey, this has been such a different and miraculous recovery that it could happen.......................:)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    one month.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 182
Glad your steri strips are starting to peel off. I don't like the look of my scar either. Like you I am hoping it will fade away to just a thin line. Hope everything is going well for you.
 
Thanks, @Mollymax I'm doing really well! I attribute a lot of that to the hours and hours of icing and elevating I do every day, and the refusal to do formal PT or those exercises they try torture us with. I'm still far from ready for prime time, and haven't yet gone anywhere but the hospital a couple of weeks ago. I see my OS Wednesday and, if that goes well, I plan to take my hubby out for a quick dinner next weekend. He's been wanting me to go with him somewhere, but knows I'm not ready yet. But I will surprise him next weekend if I feel ready. I'm also going to begin driving to the grocery store two blocks away in a week or so if I feel ready. It's all baby steps, but each baby step leads to bigger steps and eventually to normal steps.
 
I'm often barefoot in the house, but rarely outside. There are too many fire ants along the south Alabama Gulf Coast. I would constantly be looking down at my feet for fire ants.
 
@HoneyB Ugh, I've never seen fire ants in person but I hate them anyway! I think I'd be wearing socks, shoes and long pants, plus carrying bug spray in small spray bottles safely in my purse or on my key chain like some people carry mace!
 
I had my tkr in June '16, but will all the icing was cold all the time so I wore thick socks, but no shoes except when I went out. Wearing different shoes will have a different affect on your knees. I had to experiment to see which ones my baby knee would tolerate better. I don't know if it 'growing up' without wearing shoes was bad for the knee or not, but when I wore shoes it was more achy. It took a while for it to get used to shoes.
 
I'm often barefoot in the house, but rarely outside. There are too many fire ants along the south Alabama Gulf Coast. I would constantly be looking down at my feet for fire ants.
When I read these things it reminds me of the advantages of harsh winters. :heehee:
 
I made our dinner tonight by myself as a nice surprise for my hubby. His face lit up when he walked in from work and saw dinner made and ready to eat! His first comment with that lit face was, "You made dinner"! :) It was nothing fancy nor difficult; a cantaloupe from our garden, one of the dinner plates I made before the surgery, and parmesan zucchini from our garden that I actually did make. He's been waiting for that zucchini dish all summer so was a happy camper to finally get it. Another small step taken..........:yes!:
 
Oh no, that was a large step! Cooking a whole meal is a big deal! Don't do it again for a while, if it hurt you later on.
 
Thanks @sistersinhim It actually wasn't a big deal as all I had to do was cut one cantaloupe in half, warm two already cooked plates in the microwave and make a small zucchini dish which really didn't take any more time or effort than making a sandwich. (It's a simple dish where you cut the zucchini in half, put it in a baking dish with a little olive oil in the bottom, sprinkle it with salt, pepper, Italian herbs and freshly grated parmesan cheese, then bake it for 10 minutes. It only takes a few minutes to prepare, and I am easily able to do that now) I prepared it in the late afternoon so all I had to do was pop it in the oven, and put the plates in the microwave for two minutes at dinnertime. My husband doesn't cook, so handling dinner is not his thing, and doing it every night for over a month is hard for him, even with all the meals already made. So, to come home to dinner ready to eat without having to think about it himself was a nice treat. That's why I made all those meals ahead of time-that and living on pancakes and fast food for 6 weeks is so not my thing!:heehee:
 
Last edited:
My whine for the day............. I really hate it when I've gotten dressed for the day, gotten my ice bottles for the ice machine changed, have attached my knee to the wrap and pump, got myself settled on the Lounge Doctor, my pillows are plumped and positioned just right, I've turned on the TV and have started to watch a program, and then WHAM! The doorbell rings and and I know it's the delivery guy from Amazon so I have to answer it, or I need to use the restroom even though I went right before I did all the above, etc. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......................
 
Last edited:
I know my UPS, Fedex and USPS deliverers, so I just left the door unlocked and yelled for them to put it inside the door. I have cameras set up so I can see who's there. It made it so much easier.

Your meal sounds like a big deal to me at only 4 weeks! I don't think I had the brain to organize a meal like you did at 4 weeks! My meals were mainly power drinks, Nutrisystem and mixed nuts! No brain work at all!
 
@sistersinhim It's easy to think when you're not on drugs! :rotfl::heehee::loll::heehee::rotfl::heehee::loll::heehee:

We keep vacillating between getting the camera system with the phone app for this house, or not. But we are planning to sell and move in the not-too-distant-future so have pretty much decided to skip it for now and get it for the new house.
 
You can always take the camera system with you. I bought a big monitor for mine since broadband is not available out here. I'm sure there are some receivers that are bluetooth or wifi that would hook to my phone. But, I bet there are really expensive. I have the monitor set up when I can see if anywhere in the den.

You amaze me going through this recovery without pain meds. What an inspiration you are! Just goes to show you that a person can do what they have to do! God bless you!
 
@sistersinhim :thankyou: I'd much rather be able to use pain meds at times, but have no choice, as you know. So, I spend a lot of time on ice, and with my knee up in the air, which does help. And I am very careful to stay out of the ODIC too. :snork:

We also thought about taking any system with us, but the one we would get is attached to the house, would have to then be removed, and would leave holes in the brick and stucco on our house. I don't know a ton about the system but it would be in both the front and back, and the cameras would go to our phones wherever were are and allow us to not only see whoever is there, but hear and speak to them. So, if we're on vacation, or at the grocery store, we would be alerted whenever anyone rang the doorbell or was on our property, and we'd be able to see, hear and speak to them no matter where we are. I think it also has the door lock where you can send anyone a one time code to enter if needed. We plan to do it on our next house since we'll likely be travelling a lot, but decided not to get it here yet.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom