Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

@beachy I've had my usual appetite since the beginning. I usually have no appetite after surgery, and end up losing some weight. This time my appetite has been normal for me so I haven't lost any weight. I haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :snork:
 
@Mollymax Thanks. I am having a good recovery compared to my past recoveries, but it's still not easy. The biggest reason it's a good recovery I think is I am being really careful to stay out of the ODIC since I have no way to handle the pain that would ensue. I ice and elevate a lot and am following the BS activity progression chart very closely. As a result, my pain has stayed down overall, my swelling has mostly been minor, although there is a lot of swelling inside my knee, which is normal. I don't have a lot of flexion, but am not a bit worried about it as I know it will come as my knee recovers. I still have the challenges that come with a TKR, but I am handling them as they come. My biggest problem has been the boredom that comes with not being able to be active; it's annoying at best and downright miserable at worst. I know it's better to be bored than in pain or ill from the side effects of narcotics, but that doesn't make the boredom any easier to deal with. But I know it'll pass eventually, and I am planning on getting my life back as my knee recovers. :happydance::dancy::spin::egypdance:
 
I had planned to take my morning mocha to my deck, but as per usual we TKR students make plans and then have to change those plans. I forgot to change the ice bottles on my ice machine before I went to sleep, and as a result, they ran out of cold around 4 this morning. I took the wrap off but was too sleepy to go get frozen ones from the kitchen, and didn't want to wake my hubby as he has to work, so just went back to sleep. Hubby would have been more than happy to do it, but I didn't want to disturb his sleep too. As a result, my knee is a bit grumpy this morning and wants it's ice and wants it right now! (can you see the toddler in my knee stamping it's foot and hollering at me? :heehee: ) Oh well, there's always tomorrow...........
 
You’re being smart, Kim! The boredom was huge for me, especially because I had a 2nd surgery just whto n things should’ve been getting easier. You’re right, it does get better eveventually, you just need patience.
 
I took my planned first stroll into my garden this morning. I carried my phone in my pocket so, as my husband says, I can call him in case "I've fallen and can't get up" :heehee:. He wasn't especially thrilled to hear I went to the garage a couple of times and didn't take my phone, so I made sure to take it this time. I did pretty well over the bumpy ground, and walked around a bit; I even picked a couple of tomatoes. More steps toward "normalcy".

Here's what I saw as I went to my garden this morning. I noticed it's suffering a little in the heat, and it's also suffering a little from the lack of care that I can't give it this year. I can't wait until my husband gets the ground around the garden framed in and covered with bark or pea gravel and also gets our new lawn planted. After the drought here, our front and back lawns are dead as doorknobs and look awful, but hopefully we'll soon get them re-done.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    garden1.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 354
The first time I took a walk out from under the watchful eyes of my husband (he wasn’t home!) a stray cat came over to greet me and walk with me a bit. You know how cats zig zag and get close to you. I was constantly checking to see where the cat was. I thought, don’t trip me or I’ll never be allowed out by myself again!
 
@beachy That's a nice healthy looking basil plant! I'll bet you have some wonderful meals using it.

I didn't post the picture to make anyone feel inferior, so please don't. We've had gardens every single year of our 43 year marriage, so we've had a lot of experience. Some years it does better than other years, and this year it's struggling a bit. But, it's been hot as :censored: during the day lately (it'll be 104 again today!) and many nights it hasn't cooled down as it usually does. We get a really nice delta breeze most summer nights that cools us down, but this month it's been pretty evasive. Our garden usually has a hissy fit every August, what with the heat and our absence for two or three weeks, but that hissy fit has started to come early this year. Unfortunately, we won't be able to take our vacation in a few weeks as we usually do. But I plan to make up for it next summer!
 
I haven't been out for an unescorted walk round the garden yet but I've really been enjoying the supervised ones. The very slow pace I walk at enabled me to really examine the various plants and shrubs we have. We live in a flat and the block is surrounded by a large beautiful garden lovingly tended by our caretaker and various green fingered residents. We are amazingly lucky!
 
@Jockette I'm glad you didn't have to deal with a trip and fall from a cat along with everything else! My neighbor has a couple of cats that like to hang out in the shade of our trees and plants in both the front and back, so I always have to watch out and shoo them away when they get too close. One of them practically laughs at me as it sits there and doesn't run away when I shoo it. I didn't even think about them being in my yard today since I didn't see them. Thank goodness neither was in sight as I walked!
 
@Spex10 I'm glad you have a beautiful garden to walk in and enjoy. And the best part is someone else tends to it and you still get to enjoy it! This was my first walk by myself, other than the boring circles I walk in my house. It was certainly a nice change from that tediousness. The weather has been too hot for me to be outdoors, unless I walk early in the morning as I did today. But I'm not a morning person so I had to make the effort to get going early to beat the heat. And so far my knee is behaving itself and not hollering at me for daring to take it on a bumpy walk which included going up and down three separate sets of stairs twice. (From my house down into the garage is the first set, from the garage up to the deck is another set and from the deck down into the garden is the third) Granted the stairs are few in number, but have no handrails so it is still a challenge.
 
2 summers ago I bought 1 tomato plant. I had it in a big pot on my sunny deck. I enjoyed my one plant and those tomatoes tasted amazing!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom