Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I agree. The reading list is essential. When in the hospital good reading material can be scarce!

Glad to hear you're doing well, Kim!
 
Yay! I took a short walk down the hallway today! First walk. I can feel just enough to feel the floor through the fuzzy numbness. It was a pain with all the tubes, wires and catheter that are attached to me, but I did it! Still have the epidural so between that and the surgery my entire leg is still numb.
 
I was up using the commode this am, and somehow managed to fall off it and hit the floor. It took three people to get me up and back in the bed. They took x-rays of my knee and ankle and no harm or breaks. But now I'm not being let up to go to the toilet or walk.....grrrrrrrr.
 
Thanks guys. It was very scary, but I also feel like an idiot. I mean, who falls off a commode? Now that the x-rays officially came back fine they're letting me up, twice a shift only, to use the commode, but no more walking for the day. We'll see what they decide for tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
Talk about “who does that”, my niece fell out of bed, from the top bunk, early in her freshman year of college. She said the same thing, who does that! (She’s fine now, not even any noticeable scars on her face, which required some surgery.)

I’m glad your ok! Another TKR memory. :console2:
 
I just had my epidural removed after they did a nerve block. It's not the On-Q one which will likely be put in tomorrow due to all the pain I'm already having despite the nerve block. I'm also out of the ICU and into my regular room. One of the many things I love here is almost all the rooms are singles (I think my OS said there are 2 shared rooms, the rest are singles) and I always have a private room. I never want to share a hospital room in life, so it's nice to not have to. When you share a room you are not only forced to endure the visitors, noise, snoring, etc, of the other patient(s), but the potential for catching a bug goes up due to all the outside people who visit.

I took a short walk with the PT and could barely do it due to the pain that rose with each step. I honestly don't know how I'm going to manage at home with OTC pain meds only and am scared witless at the thought. But I get to get up as much as I want, with help, instead of the 2 times per shift they stuck me with after falling.
My ICU nurse told me today that the "whole world" has heard about my fall. Plus the first thing my OS said as he walked through the doorway this morning was "I heard about the incident yesterday". Usually he says hello and asks how I'm doing first, but not today.:thud: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
 
I had the nerve block with mine and was told it helps with the incision pain not so much with the bone and soft tissue pain so it makes sense to me that you are not getting noticable relief from just that at this point.
When I had my hysterectomy I had the ON-Q and that was all I needed for pain. It made the area numb but I had full function of my body. Hope you get some relief soon.
 
Maybe the hospital could install seatbelts on the commode? Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope you smiled.
Thank the Lord you weren't injured.
I feel so bad for what you've had to endure. Hope your pain level becomes manageable soon.
You have really been through it!
 
Glad you got the single. Hospital noises and trying to sleep is bad enough with having moamers and guests next door. It does seem formidable to try and manage the pain. Can you even manage Tramadol?
 
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry you had your little fall. If nothing else, it'll make the nurses be more aware that this type of thing can happen and will be more careful with other patients because of you!

Hopefully, you can find some pain relief that you can tolerate.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom