Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

in the ICU now. pain isn't controlled totally yet but they're working on it. Dr spoke to husband and everything went well. having tourniquet pain. never had that before that I remember. I opted for a spinal and epidural with deep sleep and never woke. as a result I am more awake than usual. still shaking like a leaf-probably from the pain. ice machine is on but don't feel it a lot due to bandages.

Good to see you are OK lovetocookandsew. I hope they get your pain under control soon. Hope the shaking stops soon and you feel better.

My pain is under control now and I'm not shaking anymore. I even ate a little dinner. The good thing about the ICU is my nurse only has two patients and the other one apparently takes very little care so she has been in here almost constantly helping me. And her response time when she's not in here is about two seconds. But I can't walk at all due to the epidural making my legs numb. I was told I'll be in the ICU 4-5 days then they'll do some other pain block for 3 days then see where I am. My Os told me in the pre op area he decided no opioids at all as it's just not worth it for me. I don't know what will happen when I go home though.

That's good to hear its under control and you are being well looked after. You must feel strange not being able to walk. I trust you have a bad reaction then to opiods that you aren't being given them?

Glad to hear that the dreaded surgery is in your past and you're on the way to feeling better! I hope they keep your pain under control and you're soon on the way home. Best wishes to you!

Glad it didn't hurt you and has stayed good. I still hope they won't put it in my hand as requested. Guess I will find out next week.

Kim,
Happy to see you here so quickly after your surgery, sounds like with all the challenges things are going as planned.
One advantage of the ICU, fast response, and they are glad to have someone who is awake and alert.
:friends:

It's really weird to be this awake and alert after surgery. Usually I have pain meds that not only keep me conked out but give me so many issues that I'm not alert. Down side is I'm not sleeping much and have a headache that won't go away. They've tried different meds but won't let me have motrin for some reason. I'm going to talk to the doctor about it when he comes in today.

I just got the Motrin the doctor ordered when he came in today, so hopefully my headache will at least lessen, if not go away totally.
Hubby also brought in my laptop, so no more trying to type in the app on my tablet or phone.

You seem to be doing well, Kim. I'm glad you finally got the Motrim and I hope your headache is gone.

My husband was in the ICU for 4 days back in April, after surgery on a main artery. Not being able to sleep was one of his chief complaints. He said it was noisy there and the lights were kept on all night. He had to lie flat all the time and he had a drips, tubes and leads all over his body, it seemed.

@Celle they seem to be aware of the noise at night here and keep it way down. When they came into my room all night they were very quiet and didn't turn on any lights. But I sleep lightly in the hospital so woke up every time. They gave me a night time comfort list of things I'd like at night also. So its a really nice place but still a hospital. PT has been here twice today and I didn't allow him to touch my knee.. But he did have to lift it when he had me sit on the side of the bed. Due to the epidural I still have numbness so can't lift it nor move it myself yet
They're planning on lowering the epidural today and tomorrow to get a good balance between pain relief and little numbness so I can walk. Right now I have no pain but told them I can stand a little pain so I can walk a bit soon.

How did the PT react when you told him not to touch your leg, except to move it for you?

He just said he wouldn't touch it. But he also said some PTs push on knees to avoid a manipulation. I told him I'd be fine and not need one ever. He also wanted me to do the rolled up towels under the ankle exercise and I told him I wasn't doing it at least for the foreseeable future and maybe not ever. I noticed at his next session he didn't mention it... Lol. Overall he's listened to me. I agreed to PT while I'm here a bit to help me move around as I'm not able to do much myself yet.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads