Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I'm not doing any PT this time around, other than help with walking. Last time I did PT which was pretty mild compared to some here, but I've decided to totally forgo actual formal exercises this time. I plan to whine less here, and am hoping that plan comes to fruition. But I know myself and know that's not likely to happen. :heehee:
Is your surgeon in agreement with this or are you defying him?

I won’t be going to PT next time either, but I would really prefer to find a surgeon who agrees with that!
 
@Jockette I plan to ask him what he thinks in regards to PT after a revision at my pre-op appointment with him. I suspect he'll agree with me as after my last surgery in 2016 he told me I didn't need PT as I knew what I needed to do. But even if he thinks I need PT this time, it's still my knee and my decision as to how much or how little, etc. But he's a really good guy, not one of those arrogant types who act like they're God. I'm going to let him know my beliefs and see what he thinks.
 
I don’t know anything about your surgeon but what you’ve written and I like him! My surgeon is also a nice guy and though he wasn’t sold on my “less PT” approach to recovery, he was supportive of my desire to be charge of the recovery. PT is just a tool, after all, and we are the ones who use it or don’t. I’m also interested in what your surgeon thinks about PT after a revision. Is it different than what he would do for a primary TKR?
 
Why would PT after a revision be any different from primary?
 
@Jockette I doubt that there's any difference. I just mentioned the revision since this doctor didn't do my original TKR, and I don't know what he thinks about me and PT after the upcoming surgery. I only know what he thought about it in regards to my washout and spacer replacement recovery.
 
My surgeon's instructions after my revision were just the same as his instructions after a primary TKR - no formal PT for a month, to allow the knee to start healing, and then formal PT once every 2 weeks, to be shown a few additional exercises and be assessed.

I followed that after my revision. When I had a TKR on my other knee 2 years later, I didn't go to PT at all. I just let my ADLs be my exercise.
I told him that after the fact, and he said "Well, you knew what to do anyway. I don't suppose it matters."
I got good results with both my knees.
 
I had my perioperative app't today. I can already see how my nerves will be...my blood pressure was high (for me that is) and those darn stomach kangaroos were jumping. It's really strange how many things have changed in four years.......They gave me a form with my risk factors for different complications and all mine were less than 1% and many were 0%, except for the risk of being sent to a rehab facility-that one was at a 12.4% chance, which is still below average. I was chuckling as it says my risk of readmission is at 0.8%. I told the periop doc they have it wrong. My risk of going to a rehab is 0.0% and my risk of going to the ER and/or being readmitted is at 100% if I end up needing opioids for pain. Those of you who've been here since my TKR and/or read my thread know the hell I went through at the rehab place before and there's ZERO chance I'm going there again.....lol.

They also now send most TKR's home the same day.......I think that's crazy. Those who want to go home the same day should be able to, but IMHO, most people need more time to get everything under control before going home. I know I'll be in for a few days or so-I won't know approx. how long I'll be there until I see my OS in a week. Oh, and it says my chance of death is 0.0%.....nice to know that one.....lol.

Good news-I don't have to drink that carb drink...I was planning on asking my OS about it but now I don't need to. :yay: I would have just upchucked it anyway. It's beginning to get real again....darn it all.
 
I saw my OS for my pre-op appointment today. We discussed a ton of stuff so now I have a pretty good idea of what he's planning. I'll be in the hospital for a while but he doesn't know exactly how long that will be. He's doing everything he can to avoid giving me oral narcotics, so the amount of time will depend on how much pain I'm having. Not thrilled about the length of stay, but it's a necessary evil to get me through this alive and kicking. He said I don't need any formal PT; I know what to do and as long as I make sure to be moving around and doing what I know I need to do, I'm good. I will have a little help with walking properly again, but as soon as that's good, I will "dismiss" PT. He's putting in the Aesculap gold knee, and we are hoping and praying this fixes the issues. My ROM today is 85/15 so I'm hoping to see that greatly improved a year from now (I forgot to have him check it, so used my goniometer and checked it-I won't guarantee it's exact but it's pretty close if it's off at all).
He also told me he had them schedule me last for that day so he has the time to get everything set exactly how he wants it before, and will have time to adjust things after if needed.

My husband was very concerned about my pain relief after what happened last time, so the OS gave him his number just in case we have a similar problem again. We shouldn't since he's detailed everything all over my chart, plus he'll be speaking to his PA's in case they need to see me in the hospital when he's not there, etc. But, as he said, he can't speak to every single person, so my husband can reach him directly at any time if necessary. I won't have any staples (YAY!), and won't need blood thinner shots (double YAY!); aspirin is all I'll need. I asked about a CPM machine and he asked me what I prefer. I told him I'd rather not use one, and he agreed. My insurance still covers the ice machine so I'll get one again while in the hospital and then take it home.

Those darn kangaroos are still jumping but I'm a little less stressed now (my blood pressure was so high at my app't today the nurse had to make me relax and go to my "happy place" to get it back down.....lol. ). I'm pretty much ready, except for my hair app't tomorrow, my dental cleaning Wednesday, and packing my suitcase. The bad thing about that is I've been busy getting everything done, and won't be busy next week so will likely drive myself nuts thinking too much.......
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    extension.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
I received my Lounge Doctor a couple of days ago and finally had a chance to take it out of the box and try it out last night. I absolutely love it. I bought the regular width and it comfortably fits both my legs if I want to elevate both. It's a great height for me and, since it works so well right now, I'm sure will be wonderful after the surgery. I'm glad I didn't get the wider one as this one is plenty wide and the other would be too wide for my sofa, etc.
 
Good to hear you’re liking it already! I also have the regular width and use it for both legs. They’re resting on it now while I’m in the recliner. I also use it on the couch and in bed every night. Keep it under those legs night and day after your surgery. I’m. Pretty sure it has made a difference in the swelling for me as compared to last year when I didn’t have it. Love the LD:dancy:
 
I will mostly use it while in bed, but may occasionally take it to the living room or patio and use it there. It will have a permanent place in my bed for a long time I'm sure.
 
My Lounge Doctor was a godsend. I have the regular width, too, and both legs fit just fine. Like Dzina I’m quite sure using it as much as I did (if I wasn’t on my feet, my legs were up on it) kept down my swelling and pain and contributed to my good recovery. Hope you enjoy yours just as much!

Sounds like you’ve covered all the bases for your upcoming surgery. I hope the pain control goes smoothly. Aspirin works well as a blood-thinner; my OS ordered two baby aspirins a day. That made me happy because, well, I understand aspirin!
 
@Pumpkln Here's what I see when I look down at my knees. Granted, neither knee/leg is skinny or great looking, but the right one is obviously swollen. I plan to compare these pictures to new ones in the future to see where my knee was and where I hope it is then.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    knee 6-16-18.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 353
  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    knee 6-16.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 301
Four days to go...............the nerves are kicking in more each day. I'm almost totally ready, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. I'm trying to fill my time so spent all morning cleaning out my basically clean and organized kitchen drawers and cabinets....lol. I did find a few spots that actually needed cleaning, but it never hurts to take them apart and wipe them out. I will say my under-the-sink cabinet needs wiping out but am leaving that one for hubby since I can't kneel to clean it. When we re-did our kitchen, I opted for almost all drawer storage instead of cabinets on the bottom cabinets since kneeling is no longer possible, and am sooooooo glad I did.

Now I need to find other ways to fill the time before surgery. I've been spring cleaning gradually over the last weeks so I really have very little that needs cleaning, except things I can't do anymore and hubby will do. I do need to do a little laundry, pack my bag on Thursday, have a tiny filling replaced tomorrow as the dental hygienist noticed it had fallen out when she did my cleaning the other day....grr.....stop by the library on the way home, and then do some dusting. That's it and I know I'm going to go a little nuts the rest of the time before Friday. I did make my granddaughter a new dress for summer since I won't be sewing any more this summer, but totally cleaned my sewing room after and don't want to mess it up again. So this is me now:bored::bored::bored::bored::bored::bored::bored::bored:and thinking about Friday way too much.
 
Good luck to you. You seem to take this very well. I went through all the revision stuff.
I didn't have this site until later. So I had to learn the hard way about PT. , icing and elevation.
The pain was a major problem. I began my knee journey when they were handing them out to me
like it was candy. So after many tears they figured out it was wrong so they cut everyone's Meds down.
Hardest thing I ever did. That was a long, long road. Still is...
I was in a few different SNF and some were better than others. I liked the nice people, it made me
thankful for what I had, and I like that they would give me medication.
Good luck to you , your really a veteran.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom