TKR 13 Months Out and Sore<

Hello Bonesmart friends,
Just an update from me. I ended up realising that after doubling the codeine as prescribed my body really didn't like it and then read that Tramadol has a seratonin component so as I had had a bad adverse reaction to SSRI's I decided not to take that too. I have an oversensitivity to some things - drub, preservatives etc.,

As I mentioned before we only do home PT as suggested by our surgeons here in NZ. No forced and big PT unless required and paid for by ourselves.

So I get by on panadol (tylenol) and gabapentin at night for the very bad zinger electric nerve pain.

I like others at this stage are teary and frustrated and have added to the mix a big dose of plantar fasciitis.
I am hobbling. It's making me miserable. I think it is to do with the change in gait, biomechanics, my calf muscles (knotty), needing a RTKR too, and going barefoot since surgery around the house. (summertime here :SUNsmile:) My leg tendons are tight and sore too.

So I have been icing my whole body!!!:ice: foot, legs, knee and thigh. I have an appointment at PT on Monday and am wanting to be quite clear that I am only there for soft work with my muscles and tendons not the knee.

I am awaiting an appointment with the Podiatrist and have tried every single pair of shoes I have and since reading some other posts am only wearing new shoes.

Oh boy! it is really one step forward and five back on this journey. I know you all understand. Thanks for listening,
best wishes,
Kathryn
 
Hi Kathryn! Great to hear from you! It is a journey, isn't it? I, like you do not tolerate Tramadol, really don't super well on hydrocodone either but I only take one if I wake up in the middle of the night with pain, which of course I do as I'm only two weeks out. I have all kinds of things I use to combat pain. I hope your plantar fasciitis gets better quickly, that is miserable too. REST and keep the positive thoughts going!!
 
Hi Josephine,
Both, though the left with the new knee is worstest!!!
I had the shin splint thing/pain in the first weeks. Thank you I will checkout the reading you mention. It's to do with a new knee, now slightly longer leg, new way of walking, and bone on bone in the right leg. I have a knot in my muscle back in the calf.
My littlest granddaughter 2yrs does a skippy hop run thing - I do a slide hobble creep thingy. lol We look the picture together. She of course out runs and outsmarts me most times.:old:
Kathryn

Great article/reading Josephine, you are a darling. :heehee: Everything in that I have experienced. I am working on the stretches NOW!:wowspring:
Kathryn
 
Hi Katherine
I can’t believe I just read your post. I am 7 months out from rtkr and now have developed Planter Faciitis. I am in such terrible pain. Between the knee and my foot I am going crazy. I am afraid to go to podiatrist because I don’t want to get a shot and risk infection because of knee. I took an oxycodone and still have no relief. I am thinking I got it from ankle pumps and exercise. I hope you heal quickly. I will be praying for us both
 
Hi Arlene,
It is very bad pain - especially as I thought I was getting over the big tar painfulness and need for meds.

Yes I think its from trying to use muscles tendons etc that have not been used correctly for a very long time.

The article Josephine shared was great and gives hope for exercising and stretching. I also get relief from ice too.
I won't have steroid injection at this stage either.

Checkout your shoes too! they could be leaning the old ways.
fingers crossed for stretching and a speedy recovery.
Kathryn
 
I am afraid to go to podiatrist because I don’t want to get a shot and risk infection because of knee.
This is not going to be a risk. a) because the needles used are sterile and b) because even IF you got an infection in the injection site, it's not going to 'go' to the knee. Just doesn't happen.
I took an oxycodone and still have no relief.
Well oxy won't help it - at all! You be much better trying Tylenol (but 1,000mgs at a time) and/or ice. Read the article I left Xmasknee.
I am thinking I got it from ankle pumps and exercise.
Absolutely not! That's a very passive and mild activity. PF is more often a neurological issue. Read the article.
 
Ankle pumps are what was recommended by my podiatrist for my Planter Fasciitis. Hope you find relief soon
 
strange that I too have developed a really painful underfoot, hard to put any weight on it and really feel sore and it too is on the new OP knee side , I do guess it because I'm walking differently:old: and this to because of extreme pain in other knee in which I'm too waiting for OP, but with all my other problems with my new knee I having to bare it all, hope you find the answer to yours and get " running " soon:fingersx:
 
Josephine?
You mention above that “PF is more often a neurological issue”. I don’t read that in the article. Can you recommend further reading or info?

Many thanks
Kathryn
 
hello Friends,
I am coming up 6 months since my LTKR in early December. I had most of the challenges as expected with this one. I am not sure what ROM etc as only had PT post surgery as they do here and then some massage for sore ligaments tendons and heels.
Number is booked for July 2nd. I bought myself a new robe to take to hospital and felt panic rising within me. This anxiety is something that sits with me though I mostly manage it by putting it off to the back of my mind. I know more this time which is helpful or not.

I have a list of things I’ll do differently this time around and some goals.
Such as, more ❄️❄️ice. More elevation. Not come off big pain killers too quickly etc., etc, more chocolate and not so much nausea and less vomiting Lol and to keep my sense of humour with grace and serenity as much as I can muster. . Less

Which leads me to a question; what would you do differently next time?

Best wishes,
Kathryn
 
I had a LTKR February 19, 2018 and I'm having a RTKR June 4, 2018. I never really elevated the first time around, but I did keep my leg at hip level and extended. I bought a Lounge Doctor for elevation for knee #2. Also, for the first 7 weeks with my LTKR, I only slept about 3 hours per day. I wasn't in severe pain; I just couldn't sleep. I mentioned that to my primary care physician and he told me he'd give me something to help me sleep if that happens again. I can't take the ingredient that's in all the over-the-counter sleep aids, and didn't like the sound of the side effects of some of the prescription stuff. I've been seeing my PCP for 25 years so he knows the odd effects medicines have on me. He said there's a sleep aid he thinks I'll be able to handle. I'll definitely give it a try this time. I'll be eager to see what others say. What will you do differently?
 
@Xmasknee56 I'm with you on the panic, but I call it kangaroos jumping in my stomach........lol. I know so much this time around that it is more difficult. I'm trying to keep overly busy so I don't think too much, but we all know bad knees mean we have to get off our feet often, and then the thoughts come raging back.

I'm not doing any PT this time around, other than help with walking. Last time I did PT which was pretty mild compared to some here, but I've decided to totally forgo actual formal exercises this time. I plan to whine less here, and am hoping that plan comes to fruition. But I know myself and know that's not likely to happen. :heehee:
 
@Xmasknee56 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary
 
Last time I did PT which was pretty mild compared to some here, but I've decided to totally forgo actual formal exercises this time.
Same here, my PT last time was not as bad as many others, but I’m another one who won’t go up PT next time, and no one is going to force bend my knee!
 
I posted this before I realized your PF post was in February! Hope you are doing better now!

@Xmasknee56 I had horrible plantar fasciitis that was resistant to everything the podiatrist and I tried. 18 months with no relief and crying at night from pain, when a friend recommended Chung Shi shoes. I got them and had relief literally within a few hours. Within a few weeks I was able to be on my feet for a long time with little pain. In five months I was able to go to New York city and walk 8-10 miles a day and keep up with my teenager and her friends. They were a miracle for me. I no longer wear them and do better barefoot but I still have them in case I have another flare. They are cheaper on eBay than their website.
 
@Xmasknee56, @Jockette , @lovetocookandsew , @HoneyB , I also scheduled my other knee today. What I will do differently:
-I will have a pain management contract in place and not allow myself to be forced into coming in for an office visit at 1.5 weeks because I have "too much pain." (This was instigated by the office nurse who I hope to avoid as much as possible this time.)
-I will not do any PT.
-I will stay on top of the pain and not worry about what others think.
-I now have all the gear I should have had to begin with so I will start out better. I have a leg lifter and a wedge pillow and a pocket thingie for my walker and a lap desk.
-I will elevate and ice more often.
-I will have more meals frozen.
-I will try to come to a better understanding with my family on what I can and can't do.
-Best change: I'm having this one done in August instead of January of one of the coldest and snowiest winters on record!
 
Thank you. The list grows. I have ordered a lounge doctor and a raised toilet seat.
No family wedding or Christmas this time. And it’s winter here. I’ll be by the fire.
Kathryn.
 
You are going to be really happy to have that raised toilet seat. Hope you enjoy the Lounge Doctor; I loved having mine for elevating. And winter is a good time to be laid up. You'll be up and ready to go when the good weather comes around again!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom