Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Thanks for updating, @Josephine and I'm glad you're back and well!
I don't need the scarf pictured, I just like it better as it looks looks like it's cotton and the others look like silk or similar, which I think would be too slippery and hot. I can find the items I need but thought it'd be nice to use a Bonesmart link.
 
I love my Lounge Doctor. I’m bought mine from Amazon. I use it while in my recliner, which is were I sit exclusively. It’s great for icing and elevating. I could never get the pillows quite right.

Also, about cleaning from an outside maid service, my two cents. Not trying to convert anyone but ever since I started having serious knee issues and I knew I couldn’t clean as well as I’d like, nor did I trust my husband to do so, I hired someone to clean. I found that having a clean house improved my mood. My husband and I had weekends free to do what we wanted. I also did not stress when the grands or family came to visit because I knew my house would be spotless again. Plus I feel like I’m helping the community by giving someone a job. Added bonus is that my cleaning lady has become my friend. I keep a pretty tidy house so when she comes she doesn’t have to make our beds or do dishes. We do that. I also give the toilets a quick once over. I don’t want her to be grossed out. She only has to do bathrooms, kitchen surfaces, and floors. So to me it is definitely worth it.
 
I would love someone to just vacuum and wash my floors! It hurts my back to do so.
Plus I feel like I’m helping the community by giving someone a job. Added bonus is that my cleaning lady has become my friend.
 
@Babushelen You expressed how I feel about a monthly clean precisely. It just takes the pressure off. And its easy to swipe down the bathroom bowl or sink in between cleanings. Makes life easier to navigate. However, when my knees were bad and post surgery it was a necessity!

@Jockette Why not go for the whole enchilada? Think about getting down on that knee to scrub out the tub. I vote give a housecleaner a try and see how you like it. When I found my cleaning service, it was through a friend's referral. :)
 
I’ve had a cleaning service for a while now for all of the reasons others have mentioned. The bending was just too much. Mine comes in monthly so I do try and keep things tidy in between and there’s the inevitable cleaning before the maid comes.
 
there’s the inevitable cleaning before the maid comes.

True @celynda but that has to be done anyway - and for me its not really cleaning, its straightening, going through mail, filing stuff, going through the fridge throwing out anything spoiled, picking up clothes and putting them away. Like that. I've got to find someone here in Denver, but want to get my stuff unpacked first.
 
Have you thought about hiring someone to help with the unpacking? Even if they just emptied a box and put things in the right room? The last time I moved, my goal was to unpack 1-2 boxes a day. Takes longer but also lessens the stress and risk of overdoing it.
 
The last time I moved, my goal was to unpack 1-2 boxes a day. Takes longer but also lessens the stress and risk of overdoing it.

I agree @celynda - I've been doing a box a day. I only have six more, and three of them are books, so I'm in pretty good shape. Can't understand how I am running out of room when I have moved to a bigger place with more closets and more storage. How can this be?????? Very mysterious - lol
 
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My OS's scheduler just called and postponed my surgery! Apparently my OS is out on an "unexpected leave" until at least June, so they have to cancel all his surgeries. Naturally they won't say what's wrong, if he's okay, etc, so I hope he's okay and I also hope he is able to do my surgery when he comes back. I'd hate to have to change doctors after all these years.
 
@SusieShoes I've actually just started reading your recovery thread, was actually reading it when the scheduler called, took a break to change my signature, post about the postponement, etc. I got to the part about your elevating pillow, which I was interested in seeing as I'm currently vacillating between the Lounge Doctor and the Milliard. But the picture or link is missing in your thread post. Which one did you choose and why?

I've surprised myself with being disappointed to the point of tears about having it postponed. I'd have thought I'd be thrilled to put it off, but instead am sad. I'll never understand my emotions..............
 
Your emotions were ready to get this over with and now you have to wait. It’s very understandable. You are also uncomfortable enough to warrant a revision and that has been put on hold, so there no timeframe at the moment to move on towards feeling better. If course you’re upset. :console2:
 
Just wondering....who on earth invented those ridiculous LOW toilets?!!!! We were out of town this weekend, and the toilets in the women's restroom at the hotel were almost to the floor. Either I never noticed them before and my knee has gotten worse so as to have them now cause me problems, or they changed to them recently, which is unlikely, so I'm guessing it's my knee that has changed. My toilet at home is a tall one and easy to get on and off. The ones in the hotel restrooms are not only low, but they have no place anywhere to grab onto as you sit and stand back up. I fell onto the toilet on the way down and almost couldn't get back up. I had my cane with me but had hung it on the door hook so couldn't reach it. For the rest of the trip, I had to get past my stubbornness and relegate myself to using the handicapped stall. The toilet in my hotel room was also low; not as low as the public restrooms, but still lower than mine at home. I actually think their low height is dangerous and will resign myself to the handicapped stalls now.....:censored::tantrum2:
 
I'm currently vacillating between the Lounge Doctor and the Milliard. But the picture or link is missing in your thread post. Which one did you choose and why?

I have the Lounge Doctor and loved it. I used it every day/night for four months. I chose it because I liked the shape. It has a shapely "dip" and looks like the one in this BoneSmart article. Do's and Don't of Elevation. I totally used BoneSmart as a pre-op resource. I've heard good things about the Milliard also.

We were out of town this weekend, and the toilets in the women's restroom at the hotel were almost to the floor.

Low toilets are the bane of joint replacement. Like you, I learned to keep my cane close and my wits about me whenever approaching a new toilet situation. I've encountered low toilets in the houses of family and friends, at fast food and fine restaurants, at the theater, the Liberty Bell, and at service plazas along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Sometimes I think the best argument for developing strong quads is not ROM, but so a body can squat just enough to perform nature's call rather than be forced to sit on something so low. Getting up again becomes an exercise in advanced physics, maybe even more so for bilaterals like me. Yes, I too developed a heretofore uncultivated appreciation for Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. For someone with a TKR, seeing a handicapped stall in a restroom is a comfort.
 
@SusieShoes As I'm reading through your recovery thread, I keep coming to things that either remind me of myself, or nudge my thoughts. I just read about you and onions and lurching around the kitchen trying to find paper towels to wipe your eyes. I still can't trust my knee not to buckle with fast movements, especially side-wise movement which causes me sharp pain and buckling, so that would be terrible for me. But, since I have major problems with onions; my eyes not only tear up and pour tears, they will swell almost shut with the fumes; I bought onion goggles years ago. Fashionable? Not even close, but I don't care-I can chop, slice and dice onions all day with no problem when wearing them, or if I put them in my handy-dandy chopper, they still won't give me fits! According to my Amazon account, I bought this pair back on April 29, 2009, and they work as well today as they did the day I bought them! You might want to try them even though your knee is almost a year old, stumbling around blindly with onion eyes can't be good anytime.

Amazon product ASIN B000NQ63V6
 
@SusieShoes I read the post about elevating before my original TKR, after it, and again a few days ago, several times in fact, to help me decide on which one. But reading reports from people about both kinds has me undecided...lol.
I hate low toilets anywhere, but these particular ones seemed to be even lower than the lowest I've encountered anywhere. I avoid public restrooms like the plague for many reasons, but sometimes you just gotta go. We were at the Grand Sierra Casino in Reno, and I always go before I leave my room, but sometimes nature calls and answer we must. I usually will just go back up to my own room when that happens, but the long walk was beyond me at that moment and I gave in. I am really finding it challenging to walk very far these days, so ended up using that restroom several times this trip.
 
@Jockette Thanks for your insight and for sharing it. I am, surprisingly upset and sad. I've been so scared to death knowing what's coming, that I really am surprised at feeling this way instead of elation at the reprieve. Plus, I'm also very worried my OS may not be back from whatever is causing him to be gone. I'm hoping he's okay, not only for my own needs, but for his well being, and I'm scared because after over a decade as my OS, he knows me quite well, has personally seen how I react to meds and knows what he needs to do to keep me alive after the surgery. No other doctor would know me as well and know what needs to be done to get me through it all; heck, another doctor may just think I'm over stating my problems and ignore my concerns. So, I've been going through a gamut of emotions since I received that call.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom