Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

It sounds like you already have everything in place and are all ready for your revision!
 
The wheels can be place inside the walker, instead of outside the walker. That makes the walker “more narrow” I hope this suggestion can help you.
Great tip! I did not know that!
 
@Mutti3 Thanks for the info. My walker has wheels at the end of the front legs-not inside nor outside. It fits in my hallway, it was just hard to maneuver the carpeting, especially in a narrow space such as my hall. I loved my ice machine-I would still be using it occasionally, but the motor died. I'd buy a new one but since I'll be getting one after my surgery next month, it makes no sense for me to have two.
 
@sistersinhim I'm far from ready-I am just at the beginning of getting ready. I've thought about the meal prep, but haven't started on it yet. I also think I'll have someone come in before the revision to do a deep clean of my house. I can't get up and down easily anymore, nor climb, so there are areas I've not really been able to clean well for a while. Just vacuuming and mopping the wood floors today sent me to elevate my sore knee after, so I really need to have someone do some deep cleaning. My husband keeps telling me to hire someone to come in regularly to clean what I can't anymore, but the thought of someone else cleaning my house doesn't sit well with me.

I plan to make enough meals for about a month after the surgery. With my original TKR I didn't do too much ahead of time so we ate fast food and pre-made meals from the store, etc. That didn't impress either of us, so before my washout and spacer replacement I made a month's worth of meals for the freezer. That worked much better.
 
My husband keeps telling me to hire someone to come in regularly to clean what I can't anymore, but the thought of someone else cleaning my house doesn't sit well with me.
I would love one but I’m sure my husband wouldn’t want to pay for one. It hurts both our backs and knees to do hardly any cleaning.
 
I know what you mean about having someone come in and clean. After my breaks, I went to Angie's List and found someone I was wanting to come give me an estimate, but I never scheduled it. It's embarrassing to have someone clean my house. I've done it for years and now I need someone to do it for me. Many of my friends have maids come every few weeks but I just can't do it yet!

I bought a lot of TV type dinners before my tkr, but couldn't stomach them. I existed on protein drinks, mixed nuts and dark chocolate kisses for about a month. But, it was just me, so that suited me just fine! I ate those frozen dinners a few months later.
 
@sistersinhim I'm not embarrassed; rather the thought of someone cleaning my house while I sit bothers me. I wouldn't feel right leaving them here alone, but would have a hard time watching a stranger clean my home. If my daughter still lived nearby, she'd love to come in and clean from top to bottom for me and I'd happily pay her for doing so; even though she wouldn't want me to pay her I'd insist. I suppose I could sew while they clean, at least until they need to clean that room, but I can't sew for hours at a time like I used to, so at some point would have to just sit with my knee up. I've always cleaned my own home, so the transition will be very hard. I'm hoping this revision works and I can take my life back.
 
Have to chime in on the cleaning issue: I have had someone come in once a month for the past several years. They do a thorough clean and then I can just keep it up between visits. I felt awkward about it at first, but with fibromyalgia, and then knees, and living alone, I finally gave in. Now it doesn't bother me at all. Before I moved I had a cleaning service that was recommended to me - and they brought all their cleaning supplies and equipment. My place was small, so with two of them going at it, they were there for only an hour, and I would run a couple of errands and they'd be gone by the time I got back. The service was bonded, and I never felt nervous about leaving them there alone.

Also, nowadays there are these food delivery services that are fantastic. I used Von's delivery, and the prices for the food were very similar to what you find at the store. They only extravagant part was the delivery charge - around $16. However every now and then there'd be a special with free delivery.

Just thought I'd chime in with my experience - both those services, the cleaners and the grocery delivery were key to my being able to function, as I live alone. The third service that my kids set up for me after surgery was a laundry service that came and picked up the dirties and returned everything fresh and folded. As I was living in an apartment I didn't have a washer and dryer, so that was crucial for me to function as well.

I understand feeling private and not wanting strangers to clean and do laundry etc. However, spending a week in skilled nursing after my knee surgery cured me of any shyness or need for privacy. Surgery is the great leveler I think. And I'm eating some delicious chocolate right now as I write this - lol.
 
Your chocolate sound wonderful.

I have had a housekeeper 1x a month for over 10 years. Spending one Saturday cleaning my house convinced me to hire a housekeeper.
I have better things to do with my time. In between we clean up as needed.
 
@Pumpkln If I worked outside the home as you do, I'd likely have had a housekeeper also, but as I'm home full time, I never needed one until my knee issues cropped up.

@mlwreader Don't you know you have to share your chocolate if you're going to tease us with it? I know the housekeepers are bonded, and I know they do a wonderful job; I just have to steel myself to allow them to come in and clean. It's not that I'm a private person per se, just that I really prefer to clean my own home, but also know I need to bend in some areas.

My hubby can keep up the laundry while I'm unable to do it-I have managed to train him on how to wash my clothes, even though I've never been able to teach him to cook.....:heehee:. We did have some food delivered after my TKR and weren't impressed. We were happy with the pre-made freezer foods I made for my 2016 surgery though. Shopping isn't an issue as hubby will have no problem there-he just doesn't cook edible food other than pancakes and eggs-and I HATE eggs! :eeeuw: If I lived alone I'd very likely do some things differently, but my husband does a great job of taking care of me after surgeries. I just have to ignore his "advice" about the CPM machine if I have one again :snork:. We were planning on my daughter coming up to take care of me after, but she recently decided to work part time as she's bored out of her gourd, I think, being home all day with not enough to do as she hasn't been able to have a baby to date. So hubby will either take time off again, or we'll hire someone to help during the day if needed.

I messaged my OS about the knee class and he said I don't need to take it....yay! I told him I'd save the other (zillion) questions I have for him for my pre-op app't.........poor guy. :rotfl:
 
I have better things to do with my time.
I love it!

My mother in law was a cleanaholic and while not into it like she was, I kept the house clean and nice, yet it was never good enough. As a result I now despise cleaning.
 
My husband keeps telling me to hire someone to come in regularly to clean what I can't anymore, but the thought of someone else cleaning my house doesn't sit well with me.

While I on the other hand would love to have someone do my floors, bathrooms, and deep cleaning. :dubious: I really think it’s a great idea to have someone come in before your surgery and do that deep cleaning. You’ll be happy to come home to a house that’s clean and ready for you. Your sweet husband sounds like a wonderful and supportive man.
 
Lounge doctor question.... I'm thinking about buying a lounge doctor this time around instead of trying to deal with pillows that constantly move around. For those who have used them, are they worth it, or are there better brands out there? Also, I see there are single and double width versions; does the single version throw your other leg and back off or is it the better option?
 
I have debated getting one of these also, so I look forward to the responses.

If I did get one, I’d get the wider one because I have come to really like sleeping with both legs elevated. I currently have a single wedge that has a cut out for one leg. Putting a second leg on it is putting stress on it and it’s starting to come apart.

Interestingly, I have an adjustable bed but my leg does not like the angle of raising up the foot part of the bed. :bawl:Maybe(hopefully) in time that will change.
 
I have one. My deciding factor in buying one was if it would fit on my recliner. The other brand, (can't remember name), was too wide for my recliner and it was extremely difficult to set up. I used that in my bed. I used the Lounge Doctor on my recliner. I loved it and feel it was worth it. Trying to elevate on pillows if a pain. Not so with a leg elevator.
 
My mother in law was a cleanaholic and while not into it like she was, I kept the house clean and nice, yet it was never good enough. As a result I now despise cleaning.
My mother in law was like that , too. I could spend days cleaning our house in preparation for a visit from her and within 5 minutes of entering our house she would find the one place I had missed cleaning.
I eventually cured her of that, by thanking her effusively, telling her it was so nice of her to offer to help, and showing her where I kept my cleaning things.

When I was working full-time, with three young children, I did have someone come in to clean once a week. I gave that up in the end, because I found I would spend the day prior to her visit, cleaning and tidying the house, because I didn't want her to think I was a sloppy housekeeper.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom