Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

he was kind of hard to follow as he has a fairly severe stuttering problem.
Ask medical records for a copy of his visit notes, that might help clarify what he said, and he should see a speech therapist.
You are right you should not be getting worse. I agree you plan for pain free PT is a good idea.

Linda,
Sorry to hear you are still having problems, wish the snapping of fingers or a magic wand would fix everything.
 
@VancouverUSAgal Your knee sounds a lot like mine. My bone scan came out "hot', but the other OS says it's not reliable at this early stage-usually he doesn't do them until a year and a half, I think is what he said. All I know is most people at this stage have little to no swelling and are getting back to living life. I was at that place, but then it got worse and now I'm totally frustrated. So, we shall see.............I hope you heal soon and can get to living!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pumpkln It's okay, if I really need to know what he said I can e-mail him or my OS. I really wasn't impressed with him, not because of the stuttering, but overall. First impression of him was he's a 70's hippie with messy hair halfway down his back and needs a haircut! But he came to his 'diagnosis' after a minute total-he asked me to describe the pain, spent 20 seconds moving my knee a bit, then said the knee was 'normal'. Not impressed, even if he turns out to be right about my knee. Plus, hubby was with me and I hate when male doctors face the husband most of the time when supposedly talking to the female patient! It's a pet peeve of mine.
 
Kim,
How are you getting along? I hope the PT went well, and that they treated you well.
I helped put the outdoor Christmas lights up, first time in years I was able to help.
I also don't understand why the Dr's talk to the DH, when you are the patient.
DH knows nothing about cars, at the mechanics they talk to him, I answer the questions.:heehee:
 
@Pumpkln I postponed PT-between all the rain (which I avoid going out in right now as I seem to slip fairly easily these days) Christmas and the kitchen re-model, I really don't have any time right now. I plan to go after the first of the year. I am about to go start putting cabinets together-yes even this late at night.......Yahoo on you for helping with the lights! I know nothing about fixing cars so hubby handles that area, but when we buy a new car it's all me:)
 
Between getting my Christmas sewing done, plus all the usual Christmas stuff, on top of getting my new kitchen in, my knee is horrible. I need to rest it but just can't right now. Luckily I don't have any cooking to do this year...my daughter told me to come for Christmas and they will feed me! The first time in nearly 40 years I won't have to cook Christmas dinner! The first year we were married, I took over all the responsibility for cooking all the meals on all the holidays so my MIL could retire-I am now ready to retire and let my kids take it over-I hope they decide to do so.
 
Enjoy your first Christmas being a guest, sounds wonderful. :chris-win:
We have the pot roast marinating in the refrigerator for Christmas dinner.
Sorry to hear your knee is horrible, wish I could wave a magic wand and make it better.
:reindeer::re-snowman:
 
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Wishing you a healing for your knee,
Chris
 
At almost 10 months now. I still have an unbelievable amount of swelling which is keeping me from riding my bicycle. I could ride it a lot except the swelling won't allow me to bend it enough on the upswing to ride. I still have more pain than I'd expect at this point. Hubby says sometimes I limp just as badly as I did before the surgery. I am due to have another bone scan in April to see if the knee is still "hot" or if it's settled down by then. I am still wondering if it's possible I am having a reaction to the metal in the implant since I have a severe reaction to nickel earrings. I know the implant's not nickel, but if I have that bad a reaction to it, then I wonder if I am reacting to the metal in the implant, considering all the swelling I still have. It hasn't really ever gone down any more since the initial surgery swelling lessened some, and I am sick of it. I also still have a ton of pain upon rising from bed or a chair, etc.; I hope that lessens with time. The other day we were sitting at a table for an hour or so and when I tried to stand and walk, I almost couldn't and had to have hubby's help. I don't know how much pain is normal at this point, and if my pain is normal or abnormal. I'm not sure if I'm just healing at an extraordinarily slow pace, or if I'm having problems that will eventually show themselves and get resolved one way or another. I was doing a lot better last August/September and have gone downhill in some ways since then. And I also have a couple of keloids on the scar, which itch and also burn and hurt when I bend my knee. Doc says nothing to do there, but I wonder if anyone here has any ideas to help the keloid shrink or at least not itch, hurt and burn. I tried those scar away pad things, but they didn't help.
 
@lovetocookandsew
I couldn't believe I was reading this when I opened my IPad. I didn't even know who had posted this but the 10 months just jumped out at me.
This is so similar to what is going on with me! I am almost to the day in the same time frame as you. (Mine was April 10th). I have pain with stairs especially going downstairs, pain standing. A lot of pain if I sit a long time. I still need a nearby chair to put my leg on intermittantly while sitting. Someone suggested a pain clinic. Are you kidding me after going through a TKR? A knee brace? That's why I had this surgery, to NOT need those things.
When I walk any distance, I still have to ice to get it to feel better. I also am getting more pins and needles and numbness on the outside (which I know is normal) but it goes down my leg some when it gets fired up.
I was just talking to someone 2 days ago who said his brother has just found out he has a nickel allergy. He had a TKR awhile back and it progressively got worse.
Appt. With my Orthopod next Monday.
I guess at this point I am hi jacking your thread. Sorry!
Similarities are just striking.
I hope for healing for you.
hopefaith
 
I am still wondering if it's possible I am having a reaction to the metal in the implant since I have a severe reaction to nickel earrings.
Kim,
Sad to hear you are still having problems with your knee and mobility.
It is possible metal allergy is a problem for you. Most implants have nickel in them. With nickel allergies a good choice is the Smith and Nephew Oxinium knees which are ceramic coated. Do you know who mfg. your knee? Here are a couple of articles in the library about metal allergy. There is a link to a lab in Chicago that does comprehensive metal allergy testing in the first article.
Metal allergies and knee replacements
Metal allergy in joint replacement

@1ELISEA , is familiar with metal allergies and can provide more information for you.

For your keloids call your local hospital wound care clinic and ask if they treat keloid scars. They may have some more approaches for you to relieve you burning and itching.
Good Luck!
 
Hi @lovetocookandsew

Checking out about the nickel allergy makes sense to me. My daughter gets a crazy rash on her stomach where her jeans belt buckle touches her tummy, she can't wear cheap earrings, or nickel backed watches. The doctor diagnose her with a nickel allergy too x

Good luck. Btw I've enjoyed the limericks tonight but now I have to get some sleep. It's 2.40 am and I've hospital gym physio at 11am x x x

Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
Kim,
How is it going with your keloids and possible allergies?
My knee is slowly healing. I received some gait training last week that helped quite a bit, I am no longer stressing my knee as much with each step.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom