Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Kim,
Just checking in to see how you are doing?
Still having ups and downs, but seeing a general upward trend in my recovery.
 
Are you ok? I had to really look for your post. How is that stomach doing? This road at times can be very ruff and hard at times. I did read that you are now driving yourself around, that is so great. I'm afriad I took 2 steps backwards and now trying to get over a bladder infection. this heat is really something. take care. Tashia
 
Three month update. I am doing very well. I have almost zero pain, and the little pain I do have is from overdoing it without taking a break in between activities. The only problem I have is after sitting or lying down for a short time or a long time, I have a hard time walking for the first few minutes until my knee works itself back to walking. I don't know why this is as I'd expect it to be more difficult the more I walk, but I guess I'm just contrary in the way my body does everything. I am back to doing all my usual activities except for those that require kneeling-I can't quite manage that yet. I've been busy making refrigerator pickles out of all the cucumbers in our garden and I've been making my usual breads and dinners. My knee is a little shy of being totally straight and although I don't know my ROM, I do know it's better than it was early on when it was measured at 120. I have almost no limp anymore-I only really limp when I forget to walk heel-toe and revert to the way I walked when my knee was so bad before the TKR. I do get more tired than previously, but I sleep for around eight straight hours every night. It's so nice not to be wakened all night from pain! When I tire, I just take a break, hit my computer or if needed, I ice and elevate a bit before returning to my tasks. Today I ran a bunch of errands early before the heat hit, did some supplemental watering in the garden (hubby has everything in the garden on soakers that are timed, but he's a water miser and so I water the few plants occasionally that never seem to get enough time), pulled out a few plants that were past their prime and picked some tomatoes, peppers, etc, for dinner tonight. Then I cooked a whole chicken for chicken salad sandwiches for dinner (using the hoagie rolls I made for this purpose yesterday), ran another errand, then came home and started cutting up the chicken and making the salad. I am resting right now for a bit before finishing the salad and making some fresh peach salsa from our peaches and tomatoes, also for dinner. Then we'll eat dinner, I'll clean the kitchen and who knows what after that........Phew-I'm getting tired just reading this........lol. But this shows how much I've recovered and how thankful I am to almost be back my old (emphasis on old...lol...j/k) self. And I am also very thankful for all the bonesmarties here who've cheered me up, let me whine and just been there anytime I needed you all. Thank-you all for all you care, concern and support! Kim
 
I am excited about something I can now do that I haven't been able to do for years. I have been unable to go up and down stairs for years like an adult-rather I had to go up and down like a two year old. We don't have stairs so yesterday we were running errands and there was a staircase there. I went up it without even thinking or realizing I was climbing stairs until I got to the top. Lightbulb moment! I just went up stairs! After we ran our errand I decided to see if I could go down also as I've only been able to go down like a two year old for years. I went down like a normal human without any pain or hesitation! Hurray for TKRs!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
Congrats, @lovetocookandsew, another great milestone on recovery road!
 
That's just wonderful!!! I know this opens a whole new fun world for you.
 
Its so good to hear this. Hows the driving? and the sewing? Tashia
 
@tashia, I am driving as per usual these days-no problems there. I have some sewing from my daughters to do that they brought by late last week, but since my a/c went on the fritz Saturday afternoon when it was 104, I haven't done anything due to the hot house. They fixed it late this afternoon and now I am nice and cool again, so will soon get that done. I'm actually doing well, except my extension seems to have gone backwards a bit, I don't know about my flexion as I haven't had it measured, but it seems about the same or a little better. I am pretty much back to my regular activities except for kneeling-haven't tried that yet and may not for a long, long time. How are you doing? Kim
 
I am doing pretty well, but this heat is really getting me. Are you eating better. My stomach is so much better also. I think I am now toward the end. Not the finish yet but getting there. If I hadn't had so many I would be there. Talk to you soon. Tashia
 
Hi all! I'm now at 4 months post TKR. I'm doing very well, I actually forget I even had surgery some days. I do have some ugly keloids forming, and hate those. I also have a bunch of swelling still, but it doesn't cause any pain, just some stiffness that will go away as the swelling goes down over time. I'm riding my little peddler bike like a crazy person - it's way past time to get on my real bike, but it's been so hot out I haven't wanted to ride yet.

I feel great, and other than a little stiffness at first when I get up in the morning, which works itself out in a couple of minutes, I'm thrilled and glad I had the surgery. It was a terribly rough road at first, but it's been pretty smooth sailing lately. I'm basically on my feet all day every day as I was in the past, and although I still ice and elevate at night sometimes, I don't have any problems resulting from my normal daytime activities. I still haven't scrubbed a tub on my knee or done any gardening that requires kneeling, and maybe I never will again ... who knows, but I am raring to go!

I'm uploading a couple of pictures of my knee-one is the scarring (keloids) and the other shows the swelling. If anyone has any suggestions to help the keloids go away, I'd love to hear them. It's not only ugly, it's red and itchy!

[Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
 
Great report!
You best as your Dr. about the keloids, he may send you to PT, or recommend some sort of topical application.
My best guess on the swelling is you are overdoing and standing too much. I have about the same amount of swelling, it just may go with being 4 months out.
'm uploading a couple of pictures of my knee-one is the scarring (keloids) and the other shows the swelling. If anyone has any suggestions to help the keloids go away, I'd love to hear them. It's not only ugly, it's red and itchy!
@Josephine may be able to offer suggestions about your keloids.
 
@Pumpkln, I showed my OS the keloids and swelling, here's what he said, "Normal amount of swelling at this point. I agree looks like a keloid. You can try scar massage with some Vit. E but I think just time and it will contract to some extent. The scar continues to mature over the course of a year." Normal swelling I agree with but not a lot of help with keloid advice...lol. If it continues to worsen, I may contact my plastic surgeon for advice, or if Josephine has ideas, I'd love to hear them. I seem to develop keloids sometimes, and ignore them, but on my knee I can't ignore as I can't hide it.
 
Did you message the scar as it was healing? My foot doctor told me at a month to start very lightly message the scar. I don't know if would help but if done lightly I don't think it would hurt. I am so glad that you are feelling good. I agree with Pumkin, you might be overdoing some and thats whats causes the swelling. It does sound like you are but that is my opion. Take care and do keep up the good work. It does feel good to be free again doesn't it. Tashia
 
@tashia, I did massage it and used a scar cream, but I have a tendency to get keloids no matter what. Not on every scar, just on some for some reason. I may be overdoing it a bit, but I am just doing normal stuff, nothing too major. I hate sitting around so don't do that too much...lol.
@Pumpkln, I will def. contact my plastic surgeon if this isn't better at 9 mos or so. Thanks, guys.
 
Dear Abby is all about scars today, 18 Aug 2014, there are several different ideas in the column today.
Check it out.
 
Keloids have a mind of their own. They are not caused by or limited by anything we do. They just happen. They are a aberration of collagen. The only way to be rid of them is to get a plastic surgeon to excise them but there is always a risk of them reforming on that scar. But your surgeon is right - in time they will contract and fade on their own.
 
Back
Top Bottom