Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Right back at you, @Pumpkln. I am actually having a nice weekend. I had to switch my pain meds as the dilaudid was lasting barely 2 hours, and it was making me a bit nauseated, plus it wasn't lasting all night. I don't take any pain meds on a regular basis anymore-just if needed. I found myself waking a lot at night though, due to turning and leaving my knee in uncomfortable positions. So, my OS switched me to a longer lasting med, and I take it at night if I get awakened by pain. The only problem is it makes me sleep for 10-12 hours, so I will only take it if I really need it. I also need some when I'm exercising or if I do too much and make my knee ache. So, I try to rotate between chores and icing/elevating to not overdo it. Otherwise I'm really doing well finally. My stamina and strength are slowly coming back, but I'm not 100% yet. How about you?
 
What med is that?? 10-12 hours! I want it! To sleep straight through would be nirvana (not the rock band!)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Doing OK, big wind storm here has my knee in a tizzy today, no consoling it, oh for tomorrow and calmer weather!
What long lasting med? I want it.
Figure I will be 100%, when it happens and not a moment sooner.
I am stronger and have better endurance, taking less naps.
I do Ice all night, helps with sleeping.
 
Yeah. . Here's to not communicating all night because we can't sleep!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
It won't make a normal person sleep that long-just me 'cause meds do strange things to my body. It's a normal pain med you all likely take-Tramadol. I have weird reactions to meds-some make me vomit violently, some do zip for me, others conk me out forever....etc. I ice at night, but have no desire to wake when the ice warms and change to another, so it lasts a few hours then is done. Sorry the wind is killing your knee, @Pumpkln. Warm and sunny here-not blistering hot thank goodness, as it was previously. Glad your endurance is getting better.
 
Tramadol made me nervous and sleep deprived so I'm glad I'm off that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Tramadol makes me sleepy, go figure. Must be why they have a 1000 side effects we are all so different.
 
@pumpkin - and the bad thing is you never know how it will affect you until after you've taken it and it's too late...like my unfortunate rash due to the Percocet. I wish they had some way of predicting how a med will affect you PRIOR to taking it. The person who comes up with a way to do that will be a gazillionaire!
 
Life is starting to get busier and more normal. Today I cleaned my bathroom, made some more bread, made dinner, then went grocery shopping. Tomorrow I need to make blueberry muffins with blueberries from our garden-hubby requested them and after all he's done for me these past couple of months, I am happy to make them. I also plan to make a couple of mini apple pies with apples from our garden. I also have a ham to bake for dinner, then some laundry to wash. I actually made my menu for the rest of the month-I do it every month for the whole month, but have skipped it since my surgery. It feels nice to be starting to get back to normal routines. My knee pain is better; it still feels fat and stiff, but I am doing more and more without my cane. I still limp, so I look forward to the day when I hardly notice my knee. But that is likely to be a while yet. I'm taking one pain pill before bed as I do need to sleep through and moving in my sleep left my knee bent, etc, causing pain that kept waking me. I take Motrin in the daytime, it does help just a bit when I have pain. I'd rather take a stronger pill at those times, but the Tramadol makes me way too sleepy. The horrible sharp pain to the left of the kneecap is not quite as bad and doesn't hit as much as it had been, but still takes me by surprise at times-no fun when that happens. It's still tiring to do things so I do rest, ice and elevate often, but I am doing more and more each day. I am deciding which sewing project to start back with; when I decide, I'll be back at my machine. I'm thinking about embroidering red roses down the side of my jeans and maybe one on each pocket too. That's an easy project to start back with, all I need to do is rip out the inner leg of the jeans, program it into my machine, position the jeans in the hoop, then hit start...easy peasy. Then I'll make a top that goes with the jeans and roses, I think. I still have a long way to go, but every day that passes brings me closer to my ultimate goal of a knee without pain that functions well.
 
It's really good to read your report, above! :yay::happydance:

After a rough start and being so ill, you have come a long way. Well done!
 
I'm so glad you're coming into your own. Look at all the stuff you're doing! Just like a regular human! Is that outside of the knee pain IT Band related?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
@Pumpkln, thanks for the info-it could be that. The link for the exercises isn't good anymore, so I googled it and I'm going to try the ice massage directly on the area and see if that helps. I'm also going to do some more easy stretches to help it. I'll let you know if it helps or not. Thanks, Kim
 
@JustJeff , it's on the inside of my (right) knee-to the left of the kneecap. I don't know what's causing it, it just hurts. Thanks.
ohh.. that could be the cut quad then. . get it checked out but do the normal mantra stuff until then. I'll do what I can to take your attention off it. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Hope you get to the bottom of what it is, the ice massage should help it feel better.
 
I made an apple pie today-turned out yummy, but I sure was beat after it went into the oven. I had to go lie down, take a pain pill as my knee was aching, then ice and elevate. I'm still tired tonight......maybe I'll get to sleep early for a change. It still surprises me how little stamina I have and how much energy drain there is when doing things that a few months ago didn't bother me at all. I could go full blast all day and never give it a second thought, now I have to not only take it easy, I have to rest a lot in between things. But, this too shall pass.
 
It still surprises me how little stamina I have and how much energy drain there is when doing things that a few months ago didn't bother me at all
I could not agree more, do one thing and done. We were able to make one stop (ice cream) on the way home from OS today, 6 weeks ago that would have been impossible. We are making progress, it just does not seem like it.
 
Oh, I am so glad to hear all this. Sorry your knee is still hurting but so glad to hear that you are sewing. I went out today and found heat. I am feeling better today also. Had a good nap. Keep up the sewing and cooking. take care. Tashia
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom