Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Ugh, I’m sorry you’re still left with questions and pain. I also have a pocket on the inner side just below my knee placement. When my OS did the infection surgery there was a smaller pocket which he said was filled with dead fat (?) and removed it during the infection surgery. While I was in the immbolizer the pocket/lump seemed to disappear, but as soon as I began using my knee the pocket returned bigger than before. It doesn’t hurt now and the OS nor the ID are concerned. But it does bother me so I understand a bit how you’re feeling.
 
@KarriB Thanks! My OS said mine is filled with fluid; I'm guessing it's the same type that's all around my knee. It's an area on my leg-it's not a lump, rather an area filled with fluid that feels kind of like a water balloon when you press on it. It doesn't hurt, it just bulges a little. It's an area about 5" tall by 4" wide.
 
I am so sorry that you didn't get a better result! I have been wondering how you are doing. My revision isn't doing as well as I had hoped either. Apparently I am allergic to it so here we go again. Your pain and swelling really concerns me. Did your doctor check for infection? I imagine he did. It seems to me that either you are allergic to the zirconium or you have an infection or both. We had high hopes of improving things. It is so discouraging when we don't get the result we want. Hang in there. I guess in this instance we have no choice but to be patient. I will keep you in my prayers that the doctor will figure out what to do now. At least he didn't abandon you when things didn't go well. Mine did. He even hid the fact that he blew a hole in my bone and deposited bone cement in my leg tissues. The op report says perfect surgery. No mishaps. All I have to say to that is balogna!
 
Thanks, ucsbgal. I am hoping for good things for you, also. An infection is very unlikely, as is an allergy. I was tested for metal allergies and all were fine except nickel; zirconium was totally non-reactive.
 
It's not a lump per se, more an area holding on to fluid. Whenever he's operated on me, the fluid is all gone (I'm thinking he does a washout of the area or something-not a surgeon so not sure), and my leg looks almost normal. Then, as time goes on, it begins to swell again and there's more and more fluid being retained, which slowly spreads down my leg. I'll attach some pictures-the first was 17 days after my revision, the other one is one I just took, which is in a similar position as the one I took at 17 days. If you look on the left side just below where you would see my kneecap (if it weren't hiding under the swelling), you can see how it bulges out. That's the area that's filled with fluid.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    July 9, 2018.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 358
  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    today.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
That is good that you aren't allergic to the zirconium. I am for sure. Your body is reacting negatively to something though. Could it be the bone cement? I hope your doc figures it out soon and I hope the allergy testing is accurate. I was within normal limits for zirconium on the two tests I had prior to the surgeries but after the zirconium implant was put in my numbers went sky high and I have a large red spot around my kneecap that itches like no tomorrow. Go figure.
 
My, you have been through it, haven't you Kim! I hope they solve this mystery for you soon! Looking at the photos and your report of the recurrent swelling, I wonder if some sessions of lymphatic massage would be helpful, where they work to get the swelling down and get normal fluid circulation back. Like you, not a doc, but just wondering....
 
@ucsbgal1971 I hope you get your knee sorted out so you can forget about it and just live your life. You've been through enough, it's time for that knee to behave!

@NightQuilter Thank-you! I don't know about the massage; I think someone mentioned it, or something similar, in the past but I forgot about it so never asked my OS. I'll ask him what he thinks about it next time I email or see him.
 
That happens with my lump. During infection surgery the OS cleaned it out (the lump was there but not big) and while I was in the immbolizer it didn’t return. My leg looked skinny! But as soon as I started working my leg and walking more, the lump seemed to grow. It did hurt a bit at first but not really now. I’ve lost weight recently, but the lump (not sure what else to call it) stays exactly the same.
 
Just catching up on your thread Kim! I too wonder if our/my knee will ever feel "normal" again. My revision knee and my good knee/leg are both aching these days. I don't sleep well at night because both my legs ache now. Not sure what is going on and really do not want to see the OS yet.
 
Yeah, mine looked like that for a long time too. I don't remember quite when I noticed the staple marks had gone away. My scar on my first knee is more visible than the other but not bad. Of course I usually don't wear shorts or anything so I don't mind. :)
 
I think since the staple marks on mine are five years old now, they're here to stay. The scar itself is at one year though, so there's hope that it will still improve. I wear walking shorts sometimes, which almost cover the entire thing, but I'm not really that self-conscious about it. I'm more self-conscious about the obvious swelling compared to my other knee, so that makes me cover it up.....lol.
 
I've been having a strange sharp pain on or under my left kneecap that comes and goes. When it comes, it only hurts when I put weight on it, but then it hurts like the dickens and I almost can't walk. I just had x-rays of my right knee and he checked the left knee at the same time. My left knee is perfect-no sign at all of any arthritis or problems. I was thinking it's because I still walk wonky with my right knee, but it keeps happening. I actually had a quick thought today when it happened again, that it seemed like my kneecap was stuck-but I don't think that's possible so dismissed the idea almost as fast as it came. Has anyone had a similar problem?
 
:bow:@lovetocookandsew I don't like my swollen knee either. Can't even see a knee cap. Just a big hangy ball, disgusting I try not to dwell on it and def no shorts.
 
I only ever wear pants if I absolutely have to. It’s shorts as much as possible. I don’t have visible swelling and I don’t care if the scar shows.

I have a weird nerve issue since surgery and pants drive me crazy. :bawl:
 
I'm overly sensitive, form over function, I know. I want a defined knee cap.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom