Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

@Pumpkln Thanks for the reminder! I actually have one I bought a little over a year ago but it doesn't even come close to fitting now. I can barely get it on my shin; forget the knee and thigh. (Just for fun I tried it on my left leg-it easily slides right on up and is actually a little loose) My knee measurement above the kneecap where they all tell you to measure is 22"-24" depending on where the different ones have you measure. It's not just the knee area that's swollen though-my entire leg is swollen from my upper thigh to my feet and toes. Some days my feet and toes are just a little swollen, other days they are noticeably puffy. It's more swollen than it was before the surgery so I need to find a new one. (I expected it to be more swollen, but not this much almost four months in) There's a 2 1/2"-3" difference in the circumference of my legs.

I'm also wondering if the compression will help with all the swelling as it only compresses the knee area. I can picture the shape of my leg if it were to help with the swelling just where the sleeve is and left the fluid sitting above and below it.....:rotfl: I can easily find larger ones-but I need one that breathes well so it doesn't make my knee hotter than it already is, and doesn't keep slipping as some do. I have bought, and thrown out, more than a few knee sleeves over the years. Thanks, I plan to have a nice mini-vacation as we'll only be gone 5 days this time.
 
I am officially UN-endorsing the DonJoy Iceman machine. It's a good machine, WHEN IT WORKS, but they just don't last. I've gone through five of them with two surgeries, one of which I only needed for a short while. The motor on every one of them has failed, plus one of the connectors on a machine failed also. Even the one my OS had has died-he told me he took it out to use recently and it wouldn't turn on, which is the same problem I had with my first one after storing it away according to the DonJoy instructions. My husband even took two of the dead machines and combined the good parts to make a working machine-the motor on that one has also failed. It's still under warranty but I'm not going through the hassle of another failed one from that company. Instead, I will be buying one myself from a different company. My insurance covers the machines, and the company would send me another one under the warranty, but I refuse to deal with another machine that fails. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I really need one at this point, but if I do decide I need one still, will buy one.
 
There are enough good, reliable machines on the market that you can ditch this brand. Sorry to hear you’ve had so many problems. :sorry: Recovery has enough annoying aspects without a cranky machine to deal with. Thanks for sharing your experience about the DonJoy Iceman. It helps other members avoid having the same issues. Good that your surgeon knows too!
 
As much as the Don Joy costs, you'd think they'd be a better quality machine! What a shame. I know you're sick of it!
 
We're flying out for our trip tomorrow. Hopefully all goes smoothly with my knee and the airport/plane. I realized that we are flying out of the new giant terminal instead of the old smaller one, so not thrilled about that. I plan to spend most of my time at the pool or hanging out at the river, if I can navigate the beach to get to the river. I'm expecting to have a relaxing week with no knee problems, and will come home with a nice happy knee. :)
 
My knee came through the flight a bit tired, but mostly okay. The upper post tip area is a different story altogether. It has been a meanie all day and has stopped me in my tracks more than once. I am having a very difficult time walking and at times it has felt like it's giving on me when the pain hits, startling me when it felt like I was going to fall. The pain from it is a solid 8 and it hits whenever and wherever with no warning. I will be walking along, thinking it's feeling better and settling down, when whammo! the sharp pain hits as I step and stays with me for a while before settling down again. I finally gave up and went back to the hotel room as I don't feel like dealing with it anymore today. I'm hoping it'll settle down overnight and let me have some fun tomorrow. I've noticed that this particular pain hits at home when I get up from sitting on the sofa, toilet or chair, and with certain movements. I don't think my leg liked being confined to a tight sitting position on the plane, nor the sitting and waiting before boarding, as I had a hard time walking off the plane to the car rental place. I'm so tired of this pain and am hoping it settles down for good soon. My OS said it takes 6-12 months for the post pain to get better and I'm hoping to be on the 6 month side of that equation.
 
Tight airplane seating is the worst. It gets worse by the year and on my last trip my knees actually bumped the seat in front of me the whole trip. I’m long-legged. Regional jets are flying sardine tins. So your poor knee was in the worst possible situation for comfort: bent and in an airplane seat with barely any room at all for stretching, etc.. Small wonder it was cranky for walking off the plane.

It’s an airplane thing, though, not a you thing. You did all you could. I guess the trouble is that the stem, once annoyed, doesn’t settle down quickly and continues to strike out at unpredictable time. I hope you have less trouble for the rest of your trip. :fingersx: Keep up those good spirits!
 
You have described to a T the pain I have when I go to stand from sitting in all circumstances. It’s horrendous. My sympathies. Josephine thinks it’s an IT band issue and sent me lots of links for this. I got a roller ball massager and I use it during the day. Occasionally the pain is quiet but mostly it’s screaming. Hope you enjoy your trip and can relegate the pain to a back burner. :wave:
 
I have been thinking of you @lovetocookandsew because 2 nights ago I had without a doubt pain in the upper thigh from the stem post! It took me all of yesterday and some of this morning to get it calmed down. It's a different type of pain: sharp, piercing sore, ache that lingers. Mine was triggered by resting in a recliner in the back part of our house. This is the only recliner our doggie likes to sleep in when I am in it. Unfortunately, she nestles on the left side where my TKR/revision was done. We were both sleeping and she stretches out her front legs and pushed right on THE spot where I am sure the stem tip is!!! WOW did it hurt!!! What goes on here..is it the implant stem tip pressing on the bone marrow/nerves? I feel your pain. I think mine has calmed down but feels like it bruised that whole area.
 
Thanks guys. It seems to have settled down this morning. We shall see. We're about to go eat so I shall see if walking is easier and the stem really did settle down. My doctor explained to me about the stem pain....bone is soft and moves a bit whereas the rods are metal and don't move, so until the bone fills in there it can be painful. It may be a bit more involved, but that was the easy explanation I suspect, or it may be as simple as that.
 
I decided not to get another ice machine. My OS and I discussed it and decided it wouldn't help much at this point, as the swelling is not just in my knee, but in my entire leg, and I really don't have pain in my knee other than if I do too much. But that's easily fixed by getting off it for a bit.

I had a really miserable mini-vacation as my post pain was out in full force 24/7 and ruined my enjoyment of the trip. I spoke to my OS who a week ago prescribed Indomethacin three times a day. It's an NSAID, which I know aren't favored here, but they work for me, whereas acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc) does zip, zero, nada, nothing. I was using Motrin, but it wasn't helping with the post pain. While I can't guarantee the new med is the reason, I've had a great week without much post pain. It still stabs me if I turn certain ways and when I stand up, but basically it has lessened to anywhere from no pain at all to just an ache.

I'm walking much better; I don't even know right now where I stuck my cane as I haven't needed it all week, but I did have to use it on our trip or I wouldn't have been able to walk at all. Even with the cane I was struggling through every step, and had to give in to a wheelchair at the airport. Today I ran some errands without using my cane, or an electric cart, or even thinking about my knee, and had no problems other than getting out of my car. That's still difficult due to the continued swelling. (getting in is easy, but getting out is hard)

We are getting ready to sell our house and buy one that has more space inside and less land outside, and I have been helping as much as possible. Yesterday I even cut down an involuntary tree that over the summer had grown taller than the house. I hated that thing and hubby hadn't got around to getting rid of it so I decided to do it. I didn't cut the trunk down as it's too thick for the power saw I used and needs the chain saw, which I prefer not to use. But, I was easily able to get all the branches cut off and cut into manageable lengths for disposal. I'm back to my normal daily routine and, other than having to take breaks and get my knee up on a regular basis, I'm doing well.

I think I'm now at the point where most people seem to be at around three months, but I'm happy with my progress at 4 1/2 months, especially considering all the setbacks and other issues I've had. I've been told more than once by my OS to expect a very slow recovery due to all my knee has been through over the years and all he had to do in this last surgery, so I'm good with where I am. Granted, two weeks ago I was very unhappy, but the post has been made to behave better, which in turn has made me much happier.
 
Kim,
Sounds like you have turned the corner with your knee. Given time the swelling will go down in your leg, keep it elevated as much as you can to give it a better chance to go down.
Happy to hear about how much more you can do with your new gold knee.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom