TKR Lounge Dr and mini peddlers

My posterior knee pain may be totally disimilar to your problem but a bit of background on mine.

I sailed through my op with little pain [huge discomfort though], no bruising and very little swelling [I thought it very swollen but my physio said very little]. My physio made sure me prehab went well and years of gym routines meant my leg was in good as shape as poss ready for the op. My left hamstring had an accident years ago and it's been a bit temperamental since so the odd dull ache every now and then which I stretch out.

I did most of my exercises [not all, left any attempt at a leg raise till at least two months post op ] and then after a week with the help of my wonderful physio, I started real rehab.
The pain in the back of my knee started about ten days post op. At first it was thought to be purely tight hamstring.

I managed a full rotation on the gym bike around three weeks after the op but with the seat raised so high it was uncomfortable peddling but as it was only for a minute or two initially, I could cope. It did get easier.

But, the knife pain has increased to the point I now can't rotate on the bike until I've had a warm up session in the gym first. It's quite bizarre. From no rotation possible to a full fifteen mins without pain after the rest of my gym session, so I have just turned my session round, bike last instead of first.

The pain has no effect on my daily life other than wincing when trying to come down stairs 'properly' and having to put the seat back in the car before I drive off. Oh and pushing up from a lowish chair. I walk, sleep OK

I was all ready to go back and see my consultant but my physio said give it another month. She reckons it's a popliteus/hamstring problem so I'm following a stretching/resting and strengthening programme.

One thing it's not, is an actual problem of the new joint so I am thankful for that. :)
 
Thanks @Scaredycat10 for your reply. For sure we may be experiencing pain for different reasons…. Definitely I had no years of athletic prowess of any type:loll:
I didn’t have this back of pain knee with the first TKR. I find it aggravating especially because it affects my ability to elevate my leg properly, so maybe it is a tight hamstring.
Thanks :flwrysmile:
 
@Mom2Lucy, like you I had significant back-of-the-knee pain after my TKR. (The first night I was home it was definitely the worst of my pain!) Icing helped, so I bought a 5-pack of gel-filled circles from Amazon and put them all in the freezer (where they take up almost no room). I tuck one at the back of my knee (secured by the Velcro straps that keep my Polar Cube pad around my knee) whenever I ice. (And because I am somewhat obsessive, I numbered the circles to use in order so I would always be using the coldest one.) I also do stretches every morning and gently massage that area. Even after five months I occasionally have some slight discomfort there but it is has improved a lot. Good luck with your recovery!
 
Last edited:
I will need something other than Tramadol, as in addition to the insomnia, it has now given me an upset stomach as well

I had the same problem with the Tramadol. Made me so queasy that I didn't want to eat. The hospital gave me a stomach protector to take with it, but it really didn't help. I switched to the 2 tabs of extra strength Tylenol (500mg) 3x a day. You might want to ask your doctor if there is something else he can prescribe. Since you've been down this road before, you know that dealing with pain is important to your recovery, the this article is a good reminder: The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
 
Thanks @benne68 and @CamGram …. I have added in tylenol as per the dosage chart here on Bonesmart. Hoping I get more relief. Tomorrow I will call my surgeon ’s office to try and get more Oxycodone ….although getting a refill is next to impossible.:sorry: I know there is great concern amongst the medical field re: addiction, but I have never had that issue.

Thanks:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @Scaredycat10 for your reply. For sure we may be experiencing pain for different reasons…. Definitely I had no years of athletic prowess of any type:loll:
I didn’t have this back of pain knee with the first TKR. I find it aggravating especially because it affects my ability to elevate my leg properly, so maybe it is a tight hamstring.
Thanks :flwrysmile:
Ha, that's the first time anyone has used the word athletic when responding to me, for years. :loll: I used to be, hence my new knee.

Good luck with the pain. It all adds to keeping us on our toes, figurately speaking of course. :)

[glad to smlilies are back on my feed]
 
Hi everyone, well I survived staple removal yesterday! I just dreaded that appointment, but the nurse I had kept up a conversation with me for distraction. After she was finished, the physiotherapist came in to check my range of motion, and my walking ability.
My numbers were 83 and -6. She seemed very pleased.
As was I, because I have not tortured myself with the assigned exercises. Regular ADL’s work!
 
Hi everyone, today the pain has decided to hang out at the front and inner side of my knee. That’s made bending and even walking worse, but the positive is that I have finally been able to use my lounge doctor! :)

And my surgeon kindly refilled my rx for oxycodone, although I am taking them very sparingly. That might be contributing to the increased pain at the front of my knee, but I am trying to make this bottle last as long as possible.

Heavy snowfall warning where I live, so I’m thinking the weather change is affecting me today, too.

Hope you’re all having a good weekend!
 
Oh yes, weather has a lot to do with our knees' reactions. As they heal they will react less and less, but you will be a weather forecaster for about 6 months or so. I'm 5 years out and my TKR will fuss a little with a big change in the barometric pressure whether up or down, but especially down. It's nothing like it used to be when I first had it done. Then it really hurt! Now it's just a little twinge.
 
@Mom2Lucy I can relate! We're having snow & wind here in my area today. and my knees are talking to me, too! :groan:
 
I seem to have had a setback , the knee has become so tight and sore on the outer left side…..bending is even tougher than it was before. I’m finding it so difficult to do a heel slide, etc. Nothing happened to cause this, so I am hoping it’s “just a phase” and will end soon. This Tuesday the 22nd will be 3 weeks since the surgery. I am just on here venting a little as I feel frustrated tonight at how unyielding this leg is. :gaah:
 
It sounds like your swelling has increased. Ice and elevate, and don’t try too hard with the heel slides, you just need some very gentle bending motions from time to time. :console2:
 
@Jockette , I think the swelling has increased , maybe more so internally. I was trying to do 2000 steps a day the last couple of days , not sure if that was a very good idea on my part. I think maybe I tried too soon.

I wasn’t able to exercise much prior to the surgery, due to severe nerve pain in my right leg...working full time was about all I could handle. (I have a job that keeps me on my feet, and up and down from my chair every few minutes, so lots of motion.)

Frankly, I was really glad to be off work for awhile, not just for this left knee replacement, but also to give the right leg a chance to rest, too.

Now I guess I am a little impatient, lol. I want everything to feel better fast! Even though I know better.
 
Mom2Lucy
You are around two weeks ahead of me for your LTKR and you've had another three weeks ago. I am still concentrating on getting my single TKR 'right' and can't even contemplate how I'd be able to have my other one done for at least another year, if ever.
I don't count steps so have no idea what 2000 involve, assuming it's just around the house. If it is, maybe rest up more. If it's actual 'walking', do you take your crutches with you for support? I still take one with me in the gym, primarily to warn 'others' but also it's there on a just in case basis. When the storms here cease, I'm going to buy a pole so I look less obviously iffy on my feet.
 
I was trying to do 2000 steps a day the last couple of days

Don't worry too much about the number of steps -- you are barely 3 weeks into your LTKR recovery plus are still healing from the first one in October! While it's important to move, you don't want to do anything that increases your pain and swelling.

Although I'm sure you've seen this before, this article is a good reminder about the affects of swelling on that baby knee: Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Don't compare yourself to anyone else -- and don't compare this knee to the other one. Every person is different and each knee is different.

We are here for you to vent any time you need! :hugzz: :hugzz:
 
Thanks @benne68 , I am trying to be more patient instead of frustrated, lol.

By the way, my first TKR was October, but 2018. I do have an old thread somewhere from back then , but I haven’t found it. Is there a way you could find my old one and link it to this year’s ?

Thanks:):flwrysmile:
 
@Scaredycat10 , Hi, I am using my walker, I hate crutches, lol. My walking has been within my apartment and occasional walks in my building’s hallways. I haven’t ventured out except for the day I had my staples removed. I have a set of walking poles , but I like the walker since it has a tray to help carry things, etc.

I should clarify my RTKR was back in October 04, 2018, the LTKR was February 01/2022. :flwrysmile:
 
@Scaredycat10 , Hi, I am using my walker, I hate crutches, lol. My walking has been within my apartment and occasional walks in my building’s hallways. I haven’t ventured out except for the day I had my staples removed. I have a set of walking poles , but I like the walker since it has a tray to help carry things, etc.

I should clarify my RTKR was back in October 04, 2018, the LTKR was February 01/2022. :flwrysmile:
Sorry. I have no idea why I thought your RTKR was Oct'21.
 
By the way, my first TKR was October, but 2018. I do have an old thread somewhere from back then , but I haven’t found it. Is there a way you could find my old one and link it to this year’s ?

Thanks:):flwrysmile:

and for future reference:

 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom