That's not true! You just have to be very assertive to get what you need sometimes! If the worst comes to the worst, you will have to write to you MP and complain!
Thank you - my GP claims there are new guidelines and despite the physio report and xrays I didn't qualify. Mind you, didn't say lack of bend and pain had anything to do with it!
And yes I am going to get pushy. My current OS is Mr. Choudry at Hinchingbrooke Hospital although I have never actually met him as Mr. Vaughan-Lane did my surgery but has since retired! I would like the opinion of Mr. Dennis Edwards at Addenbrookes as I believe he just does knees and has good reports.
Hi @Josephine do you know of either of the surgeons?
TKRS in 2012
Mr. Choudry - 35
Mr. Vaughan-Lane - 142 Mr. Dennis Edwards at Addenbrookes - 136
I'm not familiar with any of these chaps but Edwards looks pretty good. Check out his profile!
As for your scar, you just have a a small area that opened out flatter than the rest. Did you get a little bit of infection in there? If not, probably the surgeon got a skin edge folded into the stitching and when the stitches came out, it just stretched open. It happens and it's pretty permanent but will fade in time. I have one just like it on my arm which was done about 40 years ago!
Thank you again interesting about surgeons I hope it will add to my argument of second opinion.
're my scar - I had thought in the week's post op it was fairly consistent along scar - my original post op pics are on page 7 of the pics thread. No infection known Of - didn't know if it could be an indicator that scaring on inside cold be worse too and that my problems could be due to arthrofibrosis?
Am I glad I had it done? mmmmmmm sort of! It is probably obvious from my previous posts things are far from perfect, I am guessing that I may need more surgery of some sort and at the moment if someone asks me how my knee is I reply "rubbish!". It is always painful with lack of bend, I can't 'do' stairs or ride a bike and it keeps me awake at night BUT it is a different pain than before TKR and whilst it is not mended from an arthritic knee I am hoping I am on a journey to a better knee it's just I am taking the more scenic route thank others!
Don't really know what else to think at the moment just a bit meh! With it! But one thing I do know is that without BoneSmart the journey I'm on would have been complete hell! So thank you all for all of your support over the last year!
Happy akneeversary Shortie, I hope the coming year will see the improvements you hope for in the knee department. Good luck with your review appointment, I hope you get good and considered answers to your questions,
Hugs, Toothfairy x
Shortie one of the special aspects of this Forum is that it does provide those about to have joint surgery a very good insight into the diversity of experiences shared by members. Your story and mine are so different .... you show such endurance and perseverance as you have encountered a much more difficult recovery post op than I ever had to handle and I really want to applaud your courage . I pray that the right people will come into your life and this year sees you reaching that goal of moving freely, pain free.
Thank you @Toothfairy and @gami it is odd to think it is a year sometimes it seems only a couple of months ago and other times it seems to have gone on forever!
@gami you are right the forum really does have such a range of experiences and tales to tell and while I am not having the perfect recovery it is really useful for me to see other peoples journeys and that although things haven't gone to plan it's not the end of the road, it isn't just a failure and it is from this BoneSmart community is where I get my strength and understanding that all is not lost and there is still great hope for a good outcome eventually.
Hi Shortie,
How are you doing? I hope you have a list of questions ready for your appointment on the 6th. I hope you get some helpful answers. Please let us know how you get on,
Hugs Toothfairy x
Hi @Toothfairy how lovely for you to think about me - it really means a lot. How are you?
Firstly I am a total muppet I realised yesterday that I had posted that I have had my TKR a year but I was a month early - how rubbish am I!! lol
I do have some questions for my appointment which I am just finalising and will probably post here tomorrow or the next day - I will have to write them down before I go because I am useless when I get in to see anyone I start well, then miss most of what I want to say and then realise what I haven't said on the way home!
My knee is still rubbish (<90 bend and painful most of the time) so I WANT answers AND a referral for second opinion before I leave on Thursday. I will definitely post the outcome I just hope it is positive.
OK so I have spent some time compiling what is wrong with my knee and the questions (or at least starter questions) I am going to ask tomorrow.
I have also phoned my OS's secretary to confirm that he will actually be in clinic so I will see him and not one of his registrars or other team members. She has even put a note on my appointment for me to see him only! I will keep my fingers crossed!
So here is what I am taking with me tomorrow -
Status of knee at the moment. Extension - good
Flexion – best ever got is 95 (with physio ‘helping’ it!) but is now less than that on a daily basis mostly 80 ish haven’t managed 90 for some time. Pain +++++ when bending. Excruciating pain if for example I catch my foot and it is forcible bent.
Mobility – can’t walk down stairs, can’t ride a bike, cannot physically run, unable to stabilise myself quickly when needed, can’t sleep due to pain. Limping. Have to concentrate on walking otherwise wander to left. Walking ALWAYS very painful. Difficulty sitting with legs down. Only 2 sleeping positions which are bearable for knee. Painful to move in bed.
Pain - Pain all the time even if rested for days, pain increases with activity. Pain across top of knee all the time and also medially moving towards lateral below knee. Bony pain / feels really bruised still on palpation medially ?at site of tibial implant. Pain ‘inside’ knee and across top and bottom of knee on walking, knee bending, also pain anteriorly and pain down shin on bending. Deep severe pain at night. Pain above knee.
Ring /line of swelling approx. 2-3cm deep horizontally at top of shin which gets worse when I have done anything. Knee swells generally after activity.
Analgesia – taking regular naproxen and paracetamol not strong enough when working but nothing else works which doesn’t have side effects suitable to have when working. Oxynorm needed after work or if not driving!
Physio - many, many exercises over the last few months including VMO exercises and also intensive 2 – 3 times per week physio mobilisation (very painful but worth a go) all did not make any difference – Physio discharged me back to OS as physiotherapy hasn’t worked.
Life – Rubbish! Reduced hours at work to 11.5 hours per week – physically cannot manage to work two shifts in a row. Unable to take part in sports, have been to the gym post op (no high impact exercise at all) was going well but now knee is too painful to keep going to do any weight bearing exercise. Have to plan shopping trips or days with the family around my knee. Unable to take part in activities with my children. Difficulty in sitting in audiences where not much leg room. Questions. Why is the flexion so bad?
Why do I have so much pain?
Why do I have loss of function?
Are all the components correct size?
Are all the components in the right place (no rotation, movement etc.)?
Is there a chance that there is any loosening?
Is there a chance that there is an infection?
Is there a chance that I have arthrofibrosis?
Patella – should it have had a button at time of TKR?
Patella – does it have any problems – has it moved since TKR (e.g. pulled down due to arthrofibrosis) is it complete, does it need replacing?
What tests could be done to see what is going on? Bone scan? MRI? Anything else?
What can be done?
Do you have experience of these problems?
Can you refer me for a second opinion?
So I will see what happens - sorry to be such a pest but could I ask you @Josephine if there is any glaring omissions from my questions - thank you x
So fingers crossed - I am hoping to get something positive from tomorrow.
Thank you very very much - I am useless when is see doctors for me - for other people I am great at explaining what's what but when I try to ask or explain something for me it like my brain has gone to jelly (or jello!)
Morning Shortie...I read your list and it it hurts me to think of your pain. No answers only my sincere prayer that your visit to see your OS opens a door to a new pathway of healing and strength.
Saw OS (Consultant) who says he will do a bone scan and dependant on that will do an MUA with steroid injection in medial collateral ligament then CPM - so action.......
However bone scan appt will take weeks apparently to come through (I may be on the phone soon to try to get it sooner rather than later).
I wasn't assertive enough to question stuff (very cross with myself)
Didn't ask about second opinion (very cross with myself)
Surgeon seemed a bit 'everything is OK on X-ray so it might be as good as it will get - although he is doing the scan.
Surgeon did say bone scan results may be inaccurate as only just on 1 year post op but worth doing it.
Surgeon wasn't at all bothered that if he does an MUA it will be more than a year post TKR (?too late / higher risk fracture)
Also cross with myself that I haven't pestered sooner to get action but so difficult to get an appointment.
I have had a cry (I know it wasn't helpful but couldn't help it)
I'm glad that something is happening but not sure fit is the right thing or not - is a little bit of knowledge dangerous or should I just trust what he says?
Not sure how I feel but at the moment I guess I am just tired and a bit overwhelmed - so I am off to bed I will try to sleep on it and wake up in a more positive mood in the morning.
I just don't know what is what!
Sorry to have a moan - just need to put stuff down to keep a log of what's what with my knee.
OK so I have slept and also calmed down. I just get so cross with myself for turning into a complete Doofus when ever I go and see the Doctor, I even get white coat syndrome with my blood pressure just seeing my GP for something routine I wouldn't mind so much if I was a completely non-medical person but I work as a Staff Nurse in an Accident and Emergency department dealing sometimes with life and death stuff perfectly well so why am I so rubbish at doing stuff for me!!! Anyway I have calmed down.
So the plan is
Bone Scan - just phoned the department and hopefully scan should be in next 2-4 weeks - not too bad in the grand scheme of things.
As long as scan doesn't show anything dramatic then...
MUA, with steroid injection in medial collateral ligament, followed by CPM - it know there is a risk it a) won't work as it is 1 year post op and 2) small chance of fracture however as I said a few posts back when I was in a more chilled mood this is a journey of which I'm not yet at the end but at least I am travelling and not parked up!
I still don't know if I should push / beg / plead for a second opinion but have decided to see what the scan shows and when those results are in and when I see OS again I WILL ask more in depth questions and go from there.
Hi Shortie don't be so hard on yourself ...it's a big deal...and you are dealing with it, at least now some action to see if there is an underlying structural problem maybe just one step at a time. Maybe Josephine has some ideas upon what could lie behind the issues that your knee has she has seen and heard and experienced so much.
But I'm on the same page as you when it come to 'white coat syndrome' I'm an absolute flake when I'm in a doctor surgery, :rolleyes: and have been for years. I can rationalize my issue...whatever it is, I like my doctor been my doc for years but when that cuff goes on hahahaha she has a fit. I've had to wear a heart monitor a coupe of times and my BP is quite normal. It's a bit of a non subject for me now when I go to the doc...still happens and I wish it didn't but I guess like many phobias it's just mine to live with. any solutions out there I'm happy to try them all.
It was nice to hear that rest eases some of your anxiety so pray that you'll find that same peace and renewing of your spirit each time you sleep over the coming weeks.
Hi Shortie, sorry I didn't pop by sooner, life has just been hectic.
I am glad that your OS is taking some action.
I think @gami is right, one step at a time.
I hope you don't have to wait too long for your scan. Hopefully it will show something clear but at least they are looking.
Fingers crossed this will lead to a great improvement. Your list of problems you are experiencing is really awful, sounds totally miserable.
Keep us posted on scan dates etc, you know we care,
Hugs, Toothfairy x
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.