Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Thank you Toothfairy :thankyou: I know what you mean about having some shape, my knee has been a very round shape for a very long time but know it actually is knee shape it doesn't quite yet match the other one but a definite knee shape!

Has anyone had any experience of crank shorteners for their bike? I just can pedal properly so are considering them - thanks

Shortie x
 
Hello Everyone.

I've not been here for a while for a few reasons. Firstly I did / have got a bit fed up with my knee - nothing terrible just and I don't know if anyone else finds this but that most of my friends and family's first question when they see me or talk to me is "how is your knee?" not "how are you?" combined with my knee reminding me all the time it isn't quite right I have just wanted to be me again not just my knee so I have just been trying to live life get fit again, work and get back to the normal madness of family life of how it was before all my knee problems. - just read that back and it sounds really ungreatfull to everyone - sorry it is just how I have been feeling.

So I have been working including 11.5 hour shifts and have been managing really well, I have been doing normal things which I couldn't do before my TKR e.g. Shopping, taking kids here there and everywhere, going to the gym (under guidance of what to do).

Six months has gone by and I know it is still only part of the way to recovery BUT I am getting really frustrated by my ROM. My extension is fine and goes to approx 0-5 although difficult for me to asses when comparing to other leg as is hypermobile so goes past 0 into minus numbers! But my flexion is rubbish, I get to 90 at most. I have tried to ignore it thinking I just should be greatful to be able to walk and work etc. however I still cannot go down stairs properly, and have to hold the handrail on the way down and if I am carrying something it is two feet on each step. I find it difficult to sit on the sofa with my feet on the floor, we went to a performance in tiered seating last week and I had to sit sideways as my leg would not bend enough to get in in - and it's not that I have long legs I am only 5'1"! When walking the dog long grass is difficult as I can't bend my leg enough to step over it. I am riding an exercise bike at the gym but even with the seat as high as my good leg can manage I am still really stuggling to pedal and can manage 5 minutes at most (as well as getting some embarising chafing from wiggling so much). I am exercising but nothing high impact and nothing involving any movement which isn't straight and inline as knee will not tolerate any slight twisting - still cant cross my legs or sit on sofa with legs up beside me - I am just getting frustrated!

I have asked for an OS appointment which is in a few weeks but I wondered if I am a. Expecting too much and should just be greatful with what I have got. B. if some physio would help - I only had 6 weeks physio post op but have been trying to do the pre and post op exercises to increase ROM to no avail. C. If something really isn't right and further intervention is needed.

Please anyone any ideas - Josephine I would be really grateful for your views

Thank you
Shortie x
 
Hi Shortie,

Recap of your "typical" day! :wink:
Working 11 1/2 hours
Taking kids "here, there, and everywhere."
Shopping
Exercises, bike, 5 mins plus other exercises
Walking the dog in tall grass
Going out to see different shows

Hmmm..... So do you think that possibly you might be pushing recovery?
I didn't hear rest. Ice, elevation, or did I just miss that part? At six months the knee is still healing from within. Take care of you. We care, and to me it sounds like you are taking care of everyone, but you! :console2:
 
Well, you're only 7 months out so still time to get some improvement. However - and you won't often hear me say this - it's possible an MUA would be just the thing to get you past this plateau. Generally surgeons will do MUAs when flexion is below 100.
 
Firstly so sorry for delayed response technology problems strike again!!

Hi RestAssured thank you although the recap is probably one of my week rather than day - I now only work one long day a week, only go to the gym if my knee feels up to it and I do spend quite a lot of time resting and elevating (and knitting!) but I must admit I am not icing any more and to be honest I had kind have forgotten about it I may just start again let's face it it can't do any harm!

Josephine I have tried not to think about if i need an MUA as I really don't want to admit that everything isn't 100% and also really don't want the thought or more 'time out' from life however I am getting more and more frustrated with the limitations of my new knee, and I really don't want to be ungrateful for how much better my knee is now compared to pre op BUT I am slowly realising everything might not be as good as it could be.

Thank you all so much at BoneSmart for 'being there' through this journey

Shortie x
 
An MUA's not that big a deal. You have it done as a day case and may need no more than a day or two off work. Don't be intimidated by it!
 
Hi Shortie,
Good to hear from you.
Sounds like you are well and truly back to normal life.
I am glad you are coping well at work. An 11.5 hour shift sounds like an extreme challenge to me.
I am sorry to hear that your knee is not bending as well as you need it to. Very frustrating.
The information Josephine has given you about a MUA sounds very reassuring if that ends up being what you need.
I hope your appointment goes well with the OS and he can give you some help to improve your bend,
Take care
Hugs Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :bicycle2:
 
Shortie,

Sometimes, we can do all the right things, do our darnedest to get well, but for some reason the knee forms adhesions. If the doctor recommends an MUA, maybe that is the way to go. I still look at that 11.5 hours on your feet though, and wonder if it couldn't be broken down into 8 hours? Or if you do 11.5 hours, come home ice and elevate the knee and see if that helps. I am not a big fan of surgery either. If there are no other options, then yes. But try moderation and a day's rest after that work day w ice and elevation and see if it gets better. If it doesn't start to make improvement, then yes, I would talk to OS about MUA. Good Luck, and I will be praying for you!
 
Well that was a waste of time. Got appointment, saw Dr who said - bend of 90 is more than enough, pain - expected, X-rays done said that are OK (I'm not 100% sure that were great - will try to get copies - also will try to get radiologists report) and only after insisting have got a physio referral.

So all in all peeved but will see what the physio says, and in the mean time I will just bury my head again and do what I can. Debating second opinion but from who I would want it from would mean GP appt. then 26 wek wait to see him, as different hospital trust.

Sorry to be a bit negative but I find my thread useful to put how I am doing so I can look back and evaluated and I know that I am much better than before BUT am still restricted in what I want to do and at 42 feel I am old before my time and missing out on life - sorry grump over x

Shortie x
 
Well Shortie,

I got very frustrated with my kneecap continuing to pop out! I was hearing from PT lateral release, and from Dr. Maale more PT because a. Lateral release wouldn't do any good, and b. my knee was to healthy for a patellaectomy. The PT's were popping the kneecap back in several times each session, mumbling that it wouldn't do any good. Well, I kept going, added a personal trainer who is teaching me to trust my knee and now am showing the benefits of all of the effort. I don't know what will help for you, but I do understand your frustration! :console2:
 
So an update!

Went to physio today who after full assessment ( flexion measured at a pathetic 85 degrees!)showed me all the exercises I have been doing pre and post op and when she realised that I was actually doing all I could, she also thought I should have had more physio - 6 weeks of a physio assistant and then being discharged may not have been enough! She said my strength in my legs, thighs, calves, glutes etc. was good (but I kind of know that as I have been doing my physio exercises for nearly 18 months now)

Anyway so the plan is from next week, weekly visits to the physio for 3 weeks for mobilisation by the physio of my knee to increase flexion and if it doesn't work then she will refer me back to my ortho consultant.

Has anyone on here had 'physio mobilisation'? What should I expect? And I suppose the biggest question which probably can't be asked is will it work and if I get some extra bend will it stop being as painful?

I will let you know how I get on - I don't want to be negative but I do think I may be heading for an MUA.

Shortie xx
 
Well today is the day for my first mobilisation from the physio - not really sure what to expect or how hopeful to be - so today will 'go with the flow' and see what happens. Start flexion 85 degrees will see what happens later

Shortie x
 
Here's my ROM at various dates post op. I'm hoping you will see that some of us gain ROM slowly, and that its not a consistent gain but jumps every now and again just when you think you got all you're going to get.

92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
 
Thank you Campervan I am hopeful it will get there by some means. I know it is a slow long process which is why that apart from the odd (well frequent) wobble I haven't pursued any additional treatment until now - I have been stuck at approx same flexion since 12 weeks post (may even be slightly less) and now at 8 months am really ready to try to 'help' it along because I think it has forgotten what to do! The physio is a start but if that doesn't work I think I may be heading for MUA which before I dreaded but now am starting to think it would be a good thing! I will see what today and the next few weeks bring.

Thanks again

Shortie x
 
I'll be keen to hear what physio mobilisation is and good luck with it too. I hope it works for you.
 
Well today's physio mobilisation managed to increase ROM by 3 degrees!!!! Is this good or bad? Will it stay? Will it go? I don't know but I have some more sessions over the next two weeks so will give it a go.

Oh and was it comfortable?........ Mmmm No!

Shortie x
 
So what did they actually do? I've never heard of physio mobilisation.
 
HellIo Shortie,
I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your ROM. I had my TKR 13 weeks ago and have also had the same problem. I have done my exercises religiously but still it would not budge. I even got my husband to try and push my knee but it just wouldn't bend any more. However, I went to see my consultant last week and was told that he had only got it to 100 degrees during the operation. I don't know the reason why, as at the time I was so relieved I didn't ask, and he was pleased I had a ROM of 90 degrees. I was pleased to but it still concerns me when everyone else has 'larger ones'. However, I am just so grateful that I am arthritic pain free and can do so much more than I ever could before that it doesn't matter - I just need to keep telling myself that!
I hope you find this new physio mobilization beneficial.

Best wishes
Speedy2:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Campervan it is difficult to explain because I think it was quite technical but the best I can find on 'tinternet to explain it is (hope the link works)

The physio explained there are 4 stages depending on how far she pushed, and she worked through these stages 1 - 4. there were some other similar ones to the video just working on different bits.

It is a bit achy now! Well actually quite achy!

Shortie x
 
Back
Top Bottom