Guest viewing is limited

TKR looking for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, folks---remember that recovery is not at all linear. It looks like this:
[Bonesmart.org] looking for help
While this may look like the Dow-Jones Average, it is actually your knee recovery.

You might as well give up trying to figure out why your knee is stiff and uncooperative today----I tried and tried, but, for the life of me, I could not either get an answer---and, left to figure it our for myself, I could not come up with reasonable answer.

Your knee does what it wants---and, when it wants to stiffen up , it will.

Trust me, I was where you are for quite some time.

Frustrating---YES!!! But just slow down, ice, and elevate. Spend your time more constructively ---don't try to figure out why this is happening----you will never arrive at an answer. You have a better chance of figuring out where Amelia Erhart's plane went down rather than trying to figure out why your knee is cranky and fussy today.

Again, it is all part of the healing process--admittedly, not at all fun, and very frustrating, but slowly, down the road, you will lose some of these stinker days and they will be fewer and farther in between.
 
I was under the impression and was told to expect some pain as told by my doctor before the surgery. Little did I know what I was instore for. The "casual" way he explained it makes me laugh as I look back at it now. I thought I would have to endure some pain as part of the healing process. But after joining this forum and it agreeing with I felt... this pain is a little bit to much. And yes I CANT ACCOMPLISH NOTHING... feeling this way. It's a continuous battle between me wanting this all to end vs. Common sense when it comes to pain management..

Yes I'm going to take a few days off
 
As Tim (referee 54) said, recovery from a knee replacement is never linear. It's always more like two steps forward, one step back. You just need to try and relax and let the knee do as it wants, because the knee is in charge.

Hard as it is to accept, there is nothing you can do to speed up recovery. It really is a game that requires lots and lots of patience.
 
Folks, folks---remember that recovery is not at all linear. It looks like this:
[Bonesmart.org] looking for help
While this may look like the Dow-Jones Average, it is actually your knee recovery.

You might as well give up trying to figure out why your knee is stiff and uncooperative today----I tried and tried, but, for the life of me, I could not either get an answer---and, left to figure it our for myself, I could not come up with reasonable answer.

Your knee does what it wants---and, when it wants to stiffen up , it will.

Trust me, I was where you are for quite some time.

Frustrating---YES!!! But just slow down, ice, and elevate. Spend your time more constructively ---don't try to figure out why this is happening----you will never arrive at an answer. You have a better chance of figuring out where Amelia Erhart's plane went down rather than trying to figure out why your knee is cranky and fussy today.

Again, it is all part of the healing process--admittedly, not at all fun, and very frustrating, but slowly, down the road, you will lose some of these stinker days and they will be fewer and farther in between.
Yes brother you are right im just frustrated...again thank you for the encouraging words
 
I was one of the very few that developed adhesions---my PT told me that I could take care of them, or that I could have a bilateral MUA---needless to say, I popped them myself. Very painful---my son does a great impersonation of me as one broke. I remember watching White Christmas and working on tearing them---not at all a pleasant experience!
 
I was one of the very few that developed adhesions---my PT told me that I could take care of them, or that I could have a bilateral MUA---needless to say, I popped them myself. Very painful---my son does a great impersonation of me as one broke. I remember watching White Christmas and working on tearing them---not at all a pleasant experience!
Wowww I can't even image what you went through. So you are a man definitely talking from experience... thank you
 
I am sure, that as a marine, you have heard more than your share of profanity. I must tell you that I certainly outdid just about anything that you have heard.

I am not at all proud of it, but it was horribly intense, but thankfully lasted only moments.
 
I was under the impression and was told to expect some pain as told by my doctor before the surgery. Little did I know what I was instore for. The "casual" way he explained it makes me laugh as I look back at it now. I thought I would have to endure some pain as part of the healing process. But after joining this forum and it agreeing with I felt... this pain is a little bit to much. And yes I CANT ACCOMPLISH NOTHING... feeling this way. It's a continuous battle between me wanting this all to end vs. Common sense when it comes to pain management..

Yes I'm going to take a few days off
Yes, my doctor and friends never told me how badly this surgery hurts. I was surprised, too.
 
Yes, my doctor and friends never told me how badly this surgery hurts. I was surprised, too.


Yep! My doctor said it would be about two weeks and I will be good to go. Hahahahaha. If I don't laugh I will cry.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sirj---just checking in to see how you are doing today.
Hey brother thanks for checking in on me.. besides still having the night pains keeping me up... I'm doing the best I can. The PT came by today had to take it easy regardless of how he felt. Keep feeling this weird feeling over the top of my knee, the PT described it as scar tissue breaking up... to me it was a sign for me to stop. Going to spend the rest of the day just iceing and elevating... How are you doing?
 
I have that feeling above my knee. For me it is the stretching of some ligament or muscle. I push until discomfort and then hold it. I am no longer forcing it passed that point.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Remember, there is a great deal of swelling and much soft tissue is inflamed. Trying to exercise and stretch this is impossible unless you want to feel a great deal of pain---and move backwards in recovery.

The more you ice, elevate, and rest---and gently stretch and do your exercises---the more you will slowly get out of the surgical knee.
 
Hello brother.... I am doing well how about yourself? I was little disappointed today cause at the PT he stated that my ROM went from 95○ to 90○.. I was wondering how could this all happen within a few days? I'm trying not to let it affect me but before when I heard about the increase in my ROM I felt as if I was well on my way to recovery. Now I feel like a "set back" just occurred.. so yes in alittle bummed....
 
Hi Sirj,
I don't know when you had your surgery, but I am a week and two days out from a total and 10 months ago I had a partial in the other knee. I know we can get all concerned about the numbers as it is an easy way to figure how we are doing... but it doesn't do much good. My regular PT on my last knee often didn't even tell me the numbers. I feel like it is sort of like trying to lose weight.. if you weigh every day.. the scale goes back and forth and back and forth... you can get discouraged... if you wait for weighing and do it not even once a week.. but maybe twice a month.. you actually see the real result of your effort. So.. I try... and it is hard... not to get too concerned about a back slide in ROM.. just store that information away. Maybe look at what you have done since your last results and see if that gives any clue in activities to avoid.. but other than that.. don't beat yourself up.... we are in it for the long game..........That being said... I always brag about by my good ROM numbers and weight and then store secretly away my not so hot numbers.....So I guess just remember the numbers are not set in stone and are likely to be different next time you check. Hang in there.
Robin
 
90 or 95 - there's so little difference between those two measurements that it's not worth worrying about.
You'll get good days and bad days - remember that this recovery is like 2 steps forward and one step back. Next time could be better.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea to measure ROM every time. It's the sort of thing that PTs like to do because they are number-obsessed, but it only worries you. I haven't had my ROM measured at all with my latest TKR but I know I am doing OK, as my knee hurts less, moves more easily and I can feel that the bend is increasing.
 
Celle's right. Don't get hung up on the numbers particularly from one day to the next.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom