Guest viewing is limited

TKR looking for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember, my recovery took longer than most---but I had my BTKR on 11/8 and I umpired the plate for the first game of the next baseball season on 4/3---and I still had a slight limp.

I opened with two of the perennial HS baseball powers in Ohio, and one of the coaches noticed and said, "Hey, TIm, why are you walking like "Festus" (of the TV Gunsmoke fame)?" I replied that I had a BTKR way back in November.

He paused, and asked me good-naturedly if the doctor did anything about my eye sight! I replied that I asked him too, but the OS said, "Tim, I can replace your knees, but I am not a miracle worker!" We both had a good laugh at that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I find myself at a stage now where I'm trying to not always rely on my cane. 5 weeks post op is that pushing to much. I still swell up right after PT and short walks so maybe so huh... As you may have guess by now patience is not one of my strong suits I want to get "back into the game".. I'm glad I found this site it's not only informative but helps during my night time pains..

Use the cane. You don't want to risk falling and injuring yourself. Plus the cane served as a visual for those around you to be cautious. I admit to hobbling around the house, but I know I should not be doing that.



LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Remember that the cane is not just for safety issues. It is also to help you with your gait. Do not abandon the cane, as you want to get that correct gait back. and keep it.
 
Hi @sirj. Definitely use your cane. I still at 7 weeks use my crutch. Stores, mall, at the barn (when I'm with my horse). And I find that it does make people watch where I am when they see or hear the crutch.
Glad you took rest time for your knee. I had to learn the hard way and not push so hard. I ride a horse and to ride the right way especially when showing you use a lot of leg muscle. So I work out. Well after tkr I have to be very careful and not workout that hard. There will be a time coming when I can. But not yet. Patience is not one of my strengths.
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just left the PT my ROM went from 90 to 95○... iceing right now and hoping I don't feel it later..lol. THAT'S IT FOR THE DAY.. my PT keeps telling me to push it but NO you guys are right cause that's what I feel in my gut so instead of another workout I will just be iceing and resting for the day...felt as if something was really stretching in the front of my knee and got nervous.. no PT tomorrow going to take the advice and relax a couple of days
 
We have all heard the definition of insanity, right? "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Is all of this pushing and working hard getting the results that you want? Why is the PT so insistent?

Maybe it is indeed a time to ice, elevate, and move in a gentler manner---good for you!!!
 
Hi @sirj. Definitely use your cane. I still at 7 weeks use my crutch. Stores, mall, at the barn (when I'm with my horse). And I find that it does make people watch where I am when they see or hear the crutch.
Glad you took rest time for your knee. I had to learn the hard way and not push so hard. I ride a horse and to ride the right way especially when showing you use a lot of leg muscle. So I work out. Well after tkr I have to be very careful and not workout that hard. There will be a time coming when I can. But not yet. Patience is not one of my strengths.
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Yes I'm going to keeps using the cane I never thought about the fact that it'll make other people more cautious when walking around me. I was more or less trying to "rush" in getting rid of the crutch and not thinking about the possibility of someone running into me and causing more harm than good... you ride horses... I bet you can't wait to get back to riding but like you patience is not one of my strong suits either but after reading this forum....I'm going to make it one
 
We have all heard the definition of insanity, right? "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Is all of this pushing and working hard getting the results that you want? Why is the PT so insistent?

Maybe it is indeed a time to ice, elevate, and move in a gentler manner---good for you!!!
You are so right when I felt this wired stretch across my knee I knew that was it. I understand the fact of having to get the knee bending after surgery but I'm starting to see the numbers of ROM their looking for is somewhat "insane". So like I said the rest of the day will be spend iceing and elevating..
 
I agree that you should keep using the cane. Use it until your gait is perfect, and then use it occasionally for safety.

It's almost 9 weeks since I had my TKR. I can walk fine without a cane, but I take it with me when I go into town - as well as warning people, I can use it to fend off running children and roaming dogs, both of which could bump my knee. I also use it on wet days, as insurance so that I don't slip on wet pavement. I have a spare, fold-up cane that lives permanently in my car, so that it is there when I need it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
but I take it with me when I go into town - as well as warning people, I can use it to fend off running children and roaming dogs, both of which could bump my knee.
I agree---there is a lady at the middle school who had ACL surgery---she uses a single crutch mainly as protection when she has to venture out into the hallway ---it protects her from the students and people see the crutch and are more considerate and careful around her.
 
You're doing just fine. I bet you'll find easing off as you've started to do will result in more gain. In my experience it seems like doing a few exercises a day, a little bit of walking (and I mean a little) and lots of ice and elevation--and most importantly, time, is what gets you there.
Hang in there.
 
@sirj
I love riding and cannot wait to ride. But for now I spoil him. I can now get him out of the pasture to take him to the barn. He's not afraid of the crutch. I also take some of the other ones out now when it's time for them to come in. It's progress for me. My gait is better and my ROM is too. Each day is a small step forward!!
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Really nervous right now yesterday I had a pretty good day whereas my ROM was 95○ from 90○ about a week ago. I could have pushed it but taking the wise advice from this from...I REFUSE TO PUSH IT ANYMORE. But I was happy with my results nevertheless. I knew I was going to pay for it that night and I did with "night pains" which that keep me up from 2am. And now my knee is feeling stiffer then ever. I been iceing all day which can be a factor to the "stiffness" but even walking around is a task.. My PT wants to see me tomorrow but I believe I'm going to cancel if this pain won't stop. Is there any way in me deciding that I need at least 2 days off from PT will cause any harm or set backs to my healing?
 
I too am in a ton of pain. I am wondering if the bitter cold weather is impacting me. Can it? I am back using two crutches today since the knee does not feel stable. I didn't overdo pt, but I got very little sleep last night and no rest today.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes I was also wondering if the weather has taken a part in this pain. My PT says that's an old wife's tale but I found alot of research on the net that says otherwise...
 
Is there any way in me deciding that I need at least 2 days off from PT will cause any harm or set backs to my healing?
Healing and recovery are slow and can take quite some time.

What are two days in the grand scheme of recovery? You are not training for the Olympics here. Heck, you are not training for anything---you are recovering.

We write of keeping the knee happy and listening to the knee. It sounds like, as of today, your knee is pretty cranky and needs to rest a little.

Sometimes we need to rest physically, and sometimes we need to rest psychologically.

Remember, there are peaks and valleys in recovery---we have our good days and the, for some reason, we have some real stinkers.

Now, having read my rambling, to answer your question, I will ask a question---(I was really good at that in 37 years in the classroom.)

What do you hope to accomplish with this pain and stiffness? What can you accomplish with the PT with all of this pain and stiffness?

(I know that there are actually two questions there, but today I am writing them for half-price!

Take a few days off!
 
2 days off from PT will do no harm at all. Going to PT and doing exercises when your knee is already protesting would do far more harm.

Just do gentle heel slides at home and putter around the house a bit. Ice, Elevate and take your pain medication by the clock.
This article on heel slides might help:
Heel slides and how to do them
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom