Guest viewing is limited

Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonja and Audrey, know how you feel about the ocean. Have this wonderful view of Portsmouth Harbour and the Solent fron our new bungalow, and its sooo therapeutic on me. Breathing lovely clean air, after the Thames Valley air, is wonderful and is so bracing. Being up high we always have a breeze, and its so lovely on a really hot day not to feel too hot. The plants I bought from my old home are embracing the new enviroment, I really thought the salty air would kill off the acers, and the wind which they are not supposed to suffer gladly, but they are thriving and showing their true colours!!

I too was knocked off my feet recently by my sisters Dobermann Ceepee who hadn't seen me for a while (I'm her Auntie) and she took a run at me and slammed into my legs. Ouch!!! After the initial shock everything was fine, and made me realise that these Knees are far stronger than we give them credit for. I hurt a bit for a while, but back to normal the next day.

Glad to hear you are getting back to "normal" whatever that may be for you, and look forward to many more positive posts in the future. Take care xx :friends:
 
Happy Summer, everybody! I'm still doing the "hobbling" around trying to keep things as "normal" as I can. Trying my hand at TRYING to lose the 20 pounds I've gained since the first TKR, hoping that will help. It's getting pretty old dragging myself up stairs, and I get sooo tired! I've had a few curious pains around me knee area, but as long as they don't stay, I'm not going to panic...but when they hit, they HURT! I was driving home the other day and I had to pull over...the pain was so intense. It didn't last long...maybe 5 minutes at best. This seems to happen a lot when I have to hold my leg up and don't have anything to rest it on. Driving is a challenge, but do-able. How's everybody else doing? Are you enjoying your summer? I'll keep you posted on the "strange" pains.
 
Hi Audrey hope all is well with you,
how is your pain now mine comes and goes but most of the time I just get the pain under control then its time for another fill.

I have 305 in the bag now and still no news on how much they are going to put in and still no op date yet hoping that they will tell me something next week
all the best Andrew
 
Hi all! Just checking in again.....Well...I sold my horse yesterday. I bought a really nice mare and had her sent away to be trained in hopes that she and I would be able to ride together. After talking with my Dr. and weighing the risks, it's just not worth it. I'm not going to completely "give up" on riding again, but I know having a horse of my own and trail riding like I used to is out of the question. I've got a friend that teaches therapeutic riding, and she said she agrees.....that is what I need. So...next year, I'll go to her place and ride a couple times a month with people beside be to be safe. It's been a very long 3 years, and if I had to endure a break or problem with my leg, I don't think I'd fare very well. So.....my heart is sad, but I've got to think logically at this point. However.....I've got my 2 shetland ponies and my miniature horse that make me very happy....and we have a dwarf miniature coming at the end of August. The breeder was going to put him down because he has a bad leg and can't walk perfectly. Well....he and I are going to make a great pair!!! He needs to come home to our house for some TLC and see what we can do to help the little guy out. We have named him "One Tough Cookie".....aka "Cookie". He's only 22 inches tall right now! :SUNsmile:
 
Audrey,
You have made some tough decisions for what is best for you. The safe atmosphere of therapeutic riding sounds like a good fit. I am sure Cookie your new miniature horse will be forever grateful you took him into your household.
 
Hi there, petal. Love the story about Cookie! You should make a perfect pair! :thumb:
 
How lovely that you saved little Cookie and she can become a member of your household. I know the idea of not riding in the way you did in the past is difficult for you, but you'll get through it. And...who knows....my guess is that you'll find different ways to enjoy the relationship you have with your horses that are just as rewarding, if not more so. This is the way life works sometimes....we get thrust head first onto a path we never would have chosen only to find it brings more joy than we ever imagined.
 
Audrey,

I know you are disappointed about not riding in the conventional sense, but when you go to the therapeutic riding that your friend has, your personality and grit will shine through for so many others who are doing this for therapy! The parents of children, and the children themselves will be delighted to meet someone with a spirit like yours! You might even find yourself volunteering to help out a lot more than 2-3 times a month! :yay: I have always admired your spirit, and I know that you will be great! Cookie is one lucky horse to have found such a compassionate owner!

Of course, as you know, I don't believe in luck! God is always in the plans, and He has big plans for you and Cookie! :yahoo:
 
I am new to this site. I had a tkr in April 2011, did great with it. Then 4 months later I had an infection
in my knee Strep B. After being in the hospital 6 days, I went home with a pic line and they had cleaned
the knee and replaced all parts that could be replaced. That being said, I just didn't get any better, still had
pain and the knee just didn't feel right!
Now April 2012 I go in for a bone scan to see if there is any infection
in the knee. I was suppose to go back and complete the scan but instead I woke to several pain and
running a fever of 103. I was unable to walk, so the rescue squad took me to the hospital, now the
problem is I don't remeber anything else, except I wake up on a ventalator and having dialysis 6 days later
I found out my knee was infected with Strep A and they removed all of it, then I became septic the day
after my surgery. Now the amazing part is the doctors said they didn't think I would live! I know I would not
be here if it wasn't for prayer! I beliieve the Lord has plans for me and it wasn't my time! Within 5 days I
was off the ventalator and dialysis, I did a complete turn around! My surgeon was in awe! He told me
many times he didn't think I would live! But I am here thank you Lord!
After 31 days in the hospital and 4 wks in a rehab center, I am home. I am awaiting to find out when I can
have my next surgery. Right now it is looking like 2nd wk of Aug. I am looking at getting a fussion done due
to the fact my body doesn't seem to liike the tkr! My surgeon says he doesn't think another knee is a good
idea, and he is suppose to be on of the best surgeons for complicated knee issues. He is part of the
Anderson Clinic in DC.
Now I guess my question is what do you guyes think? I have read many of your stories, and I would love
to know what you have to say!
thanks,angela
 
Hello, hop-along, and
[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
. We are happy you have joined us. Please start your own thread in the knee replacement pre op area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself. You may simply copy and paste this post into it.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Once you have your own thread, you will be getting a lot of responses.
Looking forward to your first post in your thread.
[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
 
I am new to this site. I had a tkr in April 2011, did great with it. Then 4 months later I had an infection
in my knee Strep B. After being in the hospital 6 days, I went home with a pic line and they had cleaned
the knee and replaced all parts that could be replaced. That being said, I just didn't get any better, still had
pain and the knee just didn't feel right!
Now April 2012 I go in for a bone scan to see if there is any infection
in the knee. I was suppose to go back and complete the scan but instead I woke to several pain and
running a fever of 103. I was unable to walk, so the rescue squad took me to the hospital, now the
problem is I don't remeber anything else, except I wake up on a ventalator and having dialysis 6 days later
I found out my knee was infected with Strep A and they removed all of it, then I became septic the day
after my surgery. Now the amazing part is the doctors said they didn't think I would live! I know I would not
be here if it wasn't for prayer! I beliieve the Lord has plans for me and it wasn't my time! Within 5 days I
was off the ventalator and dialysis, I did a complete turn around! My surgeon was in awe! He told me
many times he didn't think I would live! But I am here thank you Lord!
After 31 days in the hospital and 4 wks in a rehab center, I am home. I am awaiting to find out when I can
have my next surgery. Right now it is looking like 2nd wk of Aug. I am looking at getting a fussion done due
to the fact my body doesn't seem to liike the tkr! My surgeon says he doesn't think another knee is a good
idea, and he is suppose to be on of the best surgeons for complicated knee issues. He is part of the
Anderson Clinic in DC.
Now I guess my question is what do you guyes think? I have read many of your stories, and I would love
to know what you have to say!
thanks,angela
What was the cause of infection? Was it a bad reaction to the knee replacement, because of it being metal? Do you have nickel allergies?
 
What was the cause of infection? Was it a bad reaction to the knee replacement, because of it being metal? Do you have nickel allergies?
I don't know what caused the infection, it was only in my knee the first time, and the second time it started in my knee then spread all. Both times it just came out of the blue! I was busy with normal every day things and then boom it hits! My knee was made of titanium, and I don't know of any allergies. I just don't want to go thur what I have in the past 3 months.
 
I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Was it MRSA or a staph infection that entered your body? Those are hardto get rid of. I have had MRSA 8 times but I found a specialist who finally has the answer!:happydance:
 
I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Was it MRSA or a staph infection that entered your body? Those are hardto get rid of. I have had MRSA 8 times but I found a specialist who finally has the answer!:happydance:
It was Strep A the first time,, and Strep B the second time.. no mrsa or staph,, But the strep was really bad this
last time! I have an infectious disease doc,, and he is mostly calling the shots on when I can get the fussion.
 
I am so glad that you have an infectious disease doctor :) I have been through Strep A and B also. My body was basically shutting down on me about four years ago, because then it went into pneumonia and they weren't sure I would recover. Well, here I am, they have talked about amputating this knee before, fusing this knee before, and other options. I am very stubborn, plus I have a belief that everything happens for a reason in my life. God has seen me through everything!

I am wondering though, how do they think that a fusion will keep you from getting another infection if they didn't know how you got the infections in the first place? The revisionist that did my knee, waited for an all clear in blood markers, and scans. The infection specialist, had me on6 weeks of iv antibiotics after surgery, and oral antibiotics most likely for life. We can't afford for even one little rogue mutant cell to be hiding after 8 infections! I agree totally on that point! :)
 
Hi Audrey,
Sorry to hear that you would not be able to ride your horse again I know how hard it is wuth a stiff leg and other things will come along to try you. The winter is hard for me incase I fall over and hurt my self happened more then once.

I am at the smae stage with my leg and no new news and still having the bag filled, I have a total of 350 mil and going back for more again this wednesday.
Have a great summer and you need to take it easy your lrg and back are in control of you now and its not going to be easy

all the best Andrew
 
Audrey-
I was sitting on my dock enjoying the beautiful weather we've been having, and thought about what I went through last summer trying to figure out what was wrong with my knee. I then thought about how you were so helpful and supportive- as were a few others- and it made me want to check in with you to see how things are going.
I hope you can get out and enjoy some of this nice weather and I hope things are going well.
~ Kit
 
Audrey so lovely to hear about Cookie, and hes one lucky pony to have you on his side, and will have a wonderful home with you. Please keep us updated on his progress, and you two bonding too.

Hope you are having a better summer than us here in the UK, its been rain nearly every day so far, and nothing better forecast for the coming month, so I guess you can say that we are having the summer that never was apart from a couple of lovely weeks in March when it should have been cold!!!

Take care and enjoy the sun and that special guy Cookie. xx
 
Hi everyone! Sorry it's been a little while since I've checked in. Been busy with my daughter, who is going through a divorce. I feel so bad for her, but she is a strong woman and will be ok. I'm having some good days and some not-so-good days with my knee/leg lately. This humid weather is really hard on it. I've always said it hurts more when it's raining, but with humidity, I'd have to say it's the same thing! I'm being a bit stubborn. I'm trying to walk around without my crutches at all...not even one. However, I can't walk very far, and I get tired really easily. I know I should be using them, but......they make me depressed and after 3 years of walking with them, my mind just can't grasp that I DO need them.

The past couple of months have really been "eye opening" for me. I've had to come to grips with not having my own horse and being able to ride it. I went back and forth with "hope", but I'm becoming more practical lately. I just can't imagine falling and being laid up again because I couldn't get a grip on reality. The same thing is happening with the crutches. Everybody has to realize things in their own time, and I'm no exception. That little voice inside my head keeps telling me "HEY!...YOU'D TELL SOMEBODY ELSE TO USE THEM, SO FOLLOW YOUR OWN ADVICE"! So starting tomorrow, I'm going to use both of them when I walk outside the house, and use at least one of them when I'm working around at the barn. I can tell my right knee (the good one!) is really taking a beating from dragging the other one around. I just wanted to feel and look "normal" again....and with the crutches, I don't. But....I need them to keep my good leg "good" and so what if people look at me. I'm sure they are looking at me waddle, so what's the difference, right?

(sigh) I know so many of you know what I'm feeling and wishing and hoping. I guess at some point, we just have to be ok with how we are and realize that using aids isn't a bad thing.

On another happy note, we are getting yet ANOTHER miniature horse in late August! We don't want "Cookie" to be alone, so we have found another 8 week old colt (little boy!) that is white and butterscotch colored. We will call him "Chip"! He is only 2 weeks older than "Cookie"! I'm having a great time with the ponies...even more-so now that I've realized how lucky and fortunate I am to have them all in my life! I'm getting a lot of joy out of them, especially when my friends bring their grandchildren over to see them.

How is everbody else? Andrew....how is that fill going? "Coachie"....I'm here for you always! ~Audrey~
 
I am happy to hear you are getting Chip! You must post some pictures of your horses so we can see you and them together!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom