Guest viewing is limited

Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, it's the sole of the sneaker itself. Anything with an "air cushion" in the sole isn't good for me. I also heard they aren't good for people that have a TKR as well. They may be "comfy", but not good for support and stability. Ugh.....wish I had known that before I sent the sneaker to be modified. Oh well...live and learn, right? LOL
 
:DOH:Audrey, just so sorry that your "magic sneaker" didn't work out for you. What a bummer!

I don't know who did your lift, but I can tell you that my sneaker, which is an Easy Spirit Medley, has a very firm, stable lift in the sole. Nothing cushy or springy about it. I really like the work these people do--I've had them do 6 left shoes in all.

Their web address is orthopedicshoelift.com, their email address is info@americanheelers.com, and their toll free number is 1-800-443-3537. I think they do excellent work at a reasonable price. Each of my shoes cost be $59.99. If you have at least 2 done, there is no shippping charge. If I had had shoes done locally it would have cost me $126.00 per shoe--and that was the price quoted me in early 2011.

I hope you are able to get a shoe that gives you the stability you need and gives you an even walk soon. Gotta enough problems without creating more from being lopsided.

Love your spirit and good humor in the fact of all this. You are a rock star!

Keep us posted. We care.
 
Sorry you have to re-think your sneakers Audrey, but hope you get the basics right so that you can continue to progress and be mobile freely again soon.

Or like I use my hubby's old working steel tipped boots for, plant them up as planters, they look great with sedums and other plants trailing in them and an innovative and conversation piece!! My visitors love my boots, and old wellies which I use as herb planters too. I also plant up the wardrobe type shoe holders as the pockets are ideal for herbs, nasturtiums, or anything you want to eat as you can hang on a fence or the wall and keeps away from any cats, hedgehogs, etc. weeing on them!! :biggrin:

Take care and keep your sense of humour, it really comes across in your posts. :friends:
 
LOVE the idea of the "garden boots"! I think I'll have to dig out my old cowboy boots and get creative!
 
Hi Audrey,
A local shoe repair shop can add lifts to your shoe.
Once you figured out what you need, you can ship them out for a lower cost.
Also your local orthotic and prosthetic shops may be able to help you evaluate what you need.
Good luck with your shoe quest.
 
I posted a picture of my sneaker with the full lift a few pages ago...take a look! I needed a prescription from my OS to give to the "shoe repair" place that did them for me. Without it, they wouldn't do them. It's just a lot of "trial and error" at this point, as each shoe/boot is set up differently from the start. Now that I'm able to stand longer, and don't have as much femur and shin pain, it will be easier to determine what will work.
I think I was a bit "overly excited" to get my "magic sneakers" back, and didn't even think that there would be time needed to adjust to them. It's a whole new world walking with the fusion, as I'm still not doing "heel-toe" walking. More flat-footed...but working on it! Different pains in different places and learning to adjust.....takes a lot of patience! :sigh:
 
It does take a lot of patience Audrey but your positivity will get you there, and its not that far away by the sound of it.

Persevere and make sure that the shoes are perfect for you as it will matter for sure that they suit your gait, and adjustment is the name of the game for a while. Good luck with that.

Take care and stay well :friends:
 
Hi all! ....I'm a bit concerned today, as my MCL is very sore on my fusion leg. I've really been trying to pace myself. Do a little bit of something, then rest....do a little more....then rest again. If I don't prop my leg up on something when I rest, the RSD starts up. (Leg doesn't like the foot hanging down much, I guess) So....I've been propping it (my foot/leg up so that it's flat and level. You would think this would be ok, but I was outside and enjoying the gorgeous sunshine with my leg propped and level, and when I got up, a strong "pulling/tight/burning" feeling right in the MCL. Had to stand there for a few minutes until it went away, and then I could "walk" again. Just a little scary....

Jo....this is very strange, but I understand that I'm using muscles/tendons/ligaments that I haven't in a while, but why all of a sudden? Gosh....I hope I didn't tear the thing!
 
Hi!
Well...I got a pair of hi-top basketball sneakers to see if they would work better. Wa-lah! OOOoooo...soooo much better! What a difference! It really does make a difference what type of sole is on the shoe! Now I know I DON'T want anything that is "squishy". I love the extra support the hi-tops give my ankle as well. I'm going to "walk" around in them for a week just to be sure they are ok before I send them to have the 1" full lift put on the soles. But...so far, so good. Trial and error....hopefully, no more error! :thumb:
 
Hi all! ....I'm a bit concerned today, as my MCL is very sore on my fusion leg. I've really been trying to pace myself. Do a little bit of something, then rest....do a little more....then rest again. If I don't prop my leg up on something when I rest, the RSD starts up. (Leg doesn't like the foot hanging down much, I guess) So....I've been propping it (my foot/leg up so that it's flat and level. You would think this would be ok, but I was outside and enjoying the gorgeous sunshine with my leg propped and level, and when I got up, a strong "pulling/tight/burning" feeling right in the MCL. Had to stand there for a few minutes until it went away, and then I could "walk" again. Just a little scary....

Jo....this is very strange, but I understand that I'm using muscles/tendons/ligaments that I haven't in a while, but why all of a sudden? Gosh....I hope I didn't tear the thing!

Do you know that happens with my foot too!When I'm in a waiting room I am always in agony as I don't have my leg elevated or resting on something.And also in a recent report from the hospital it said I had "laxity in my MCL and I had no idea what this meant!!
 
BIG day for me today! I went to the tack shop to get grain, and I asked the owner if I could sit on a western saddle to see how my leg felt, and if it stuck out too much. Much to my surprise....I DID IT! My leg sticks out a little bit, but I don't think it will be enough to be dangerous. I could have sat on that saddle all day!!! :dancy:

"Ivy" (the horse that John got me for Valentine's Day) will turn 3 next week, and she's headed for training mid-May through the end of June. "Basic Training" this year, as she's still young, so lots of de-sensitizing and ground work this year. Next year, she'll got back for saddle training.

My goal is to take some therapeautic riding lessons to get my balance back and re-learn how to ride with a straight leg, and of course, to ride safely. Probably not this year, but definetely in 2013!

So while Ivy is learning, I will be too. If all goes the way I hope, I'll be riding my own horse in 2014! Fingers X and Toes X for luck!!! :thumb:
 
Fingers and toes crossed just for you as long as it takes! Sounds like a great plan & you'll make it work!!!!
 
Hi! Rainy week here in Maine. I was thinking with this weather, my leg would be throbbing..but it's actually not that bad! I really do think the pain is getting a bit less each week. YAAAAY!!! Still a little concerned about the MCL "pulling" and feeling tight, but it's not as bad as it was...and I've even "uped" my activity level a bit. Now if the RSD would go away.....
 
Hi Folks,
I didn't think there was that many people out there walking around with a knee fusion!! It's sad but I am glad that maybe I can get some answers from you.
I have a hard time being in a social environment where the leg sticks straight out and I become a public tripping hazard. I have been struggling with this for at least three years and I am starting to think it would be best to stay home.
It looks like there is a way to reverse a knee fusion... is this correct? anyone have any information on this as well?
Thanks for your help
 
Hi, Pengy....welcome. I agree it would be a good idea for you to start your own thread. That way people can respond directly to you about your specific situation.
 
Hi "Pengy"! I certainly understand how awkward and frustrating it is to go out in public. However, it's far worse to stay at home! My leg sticks straight out as well, but I just ask for another chair and prop it up! Or...ask for a booth for just you and your leg! Before I had the fusion, it was painful and impossible to go out to eat. Even had to be carried out of a restaurant on my birthday because my knee would not straighten after being bent for over an hour. Now THAT was embarrasing!!!! Try to embrace the fact that you CAN go out, even if it's awkward. Yup...people are going to look, but not for a long time. Enjoy life! :yahoo:

I am following "pegleg"'s thread about his reversal of his fusion. He's very brave. Have you started your own thread yet? How long have you had your fusion, and why did you have it? What type of fusion do you have?
 
Yes, Pengy....please share you story with us. "Newbies" always do that so that we can get to know you. I have many questions for you as well! :skeptical:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom