Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELLO! Well..I am HOME! Thanks to everybody for sending their good wishes! I ♥ my friends! ...Got some sleep last night, but woke up to a very puffy left foot. Got it elevated, so that should help. Not a lot of pain, as long as I stay on top of it. Taking Dilotden (sp?) and Tylenol. The nausea has passed! Yay! They ended up ...using a "Witchita" nail instead of the T2 nail, so no staples in my hip or my ankle, but a LOT on the top and sides of my knee area. My Dr. ended up fusing it pretty much straight (at 0 degrees, instead of 7-8) as my leg is now about an inch shorter than the right one. Putting a "bend" in it would have made it even shorter. Can only put weight on my toes and the ball of my foot for the next 3 weeks, then we'll go from there. In the meantime, I just need to let my body heal and make more blood so I'm not so weak. "Nurse John" is doing a fabulous job taking care of me! I wll update more when I'm more awake! Bring on the questions, if you have any!
 
Hello and welcome back. So glad to hear you are doing well after your surgery, and that your pain is under control.:thumb:
 
Audrey, good to hear you're home again and being well taken care of. Those male nurses are the greatest! :th_heehee:

Since you now have a leg length descrepancy,:DOH: I want to recommend that when you consider having a lift put on the sole of your shoe that you look at American Heelers. You can find them online. I have a 1/2 inch difference as a result of my hip replacement in 2010. I found these folks when searching the web for someone who would do this work for a reasonable price. They do excellent work, the material they use is light weight, and when I have both shoes on, I am very unaware that one has a higher sole than the other. And I am able to get around comfortably all day long.

Hoping your recovery goes along as smoothly as possible. Keep us posted. We care. :cat-kittyandsmiley: Judy
 
Audrey.....it's so good to know you are home safely and doing well. I really am anxious to hear more news of how you're doing.
 
Indeed, indeed!

And since I've never heard of a Witchita nail before, I did a little research and found these

[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion


so evidently he was able to put each piece into the bones and then assemble them! Neat!
 
Hi! Just woke up from a nap, so I thought I'd write some more...

After I got out of surgery (which was 4 hours!) they had a really hard time getting my pain under control. I can remember BEGGING for relief, and somebody saying they were waiting for the ultra-sound machine so they could give me nerve block in my groin area. The pain I had wasn't sharp...it was a deep, dull SUPER ache. Felt like somebody was gripping my leg just above and below my knee and not letting go. I remember it was about a half hour before they were able to get the block going. Seems like they should have done that in the OR. ???? Anyway, the nerve block only took about 50% of the pain away, so I was taken to my room still begging for pain medicine. I can remember the nurse being really ticked off that I was in that much pain and her telling me that "it won't be long". They gave me Ketamine again during the surgery, and I had a Ketamine drip from Tuesday (day of surgery) to late Wed. night. The ketamine gives me a super headache, so they got me off it as soon as they could. They gave me Diloten (sp?) for the pain (4mg every 3-4 hours) and Tylenol. Also something that began with a "Z" for nausea.
I did lose a bit of blood during the surgery, but Dr. K never said how much. Did not get a transfusion until Thursday morning, as my heart rate was waaay too high from working to pump blood. I think it got as high as 132, and that's when they decided to give me some blood. Very scary feeling, having your heart feel like it was going to beat through your chest and pound in your head. They only gave me a 1/2 pint. After the blood transfusion, the IV "blew" and I've got a HUGE bruise. They decided not to give me any more blood and see how I would do with only the 1/2 pint. So...Thursday night, my heart rate was STILL up to 120 and I was a little panicky. They decided to give me another bag of IV drip to see if that helped. For some reason, they didn't want to give me more blood.
By midnight on Thursday, things started to calm down a little, but not much. At least the heart rate wasn't going up anymore...averaging between 110 and 115. By Friday noon, the nausea was going away, and I felt like eating again. All this time, my blood pressure was normal, and so was my oxygen level. No concerns there.
They put those "support hose" on my legs, but the left one was VERY tight and by Friday night, it felt like my cirulation was being cut off. So...no more for the left leg (the one that is now fused). Had quite a bit of swelling in my foot and my toes at that time as well.
Dr. K came in on Saturday morning and said I was ok to go home, but I am to do nothing but rest and make my way to the bathroom. He said my body would "heal itself" and my heart rate will go down slowly, but steadily. The ride home was a bit much, as we had to travel over highway that was under construction. Not pleasant, but I made it!

I have tell you....you MUST advocate for yourself while in the hospital, and if you can't...PLEASE...be sure you have somebody that will. I had a few problems that I should not have had if charts had been marked correctly, and staff were to read them. The first, is: I had an ice machine strapped around my knee/leg after getting out of surgery. As you all know, I have RSD/CRPS and ice is a BIG NO-NO!!!! Once I was "awake" enough, I realized it was on had them take it off asap! Made a big difference in the ache right off the bat! Second: I had a PT person come into my room ready to do therapy. I was a bit confussed, as I didn't know what they would do with a fused leg. So...I let her talk on for a while and go through the step-by-step. When she told me I would be doing heel slides, I kind of chuckled and said, "you ARE kidding...aren't you"? And she looked at me and said "no, dear....we have to get your leg bending". to which I replied, "well...that will be interested as it is now FUSED straight". Oh boy! Was she shocked, embarrased and apologetic!!!! I just don't know how people can make such a HUGE mistake. Is it where the info. is on the chart, or does the staff just automatically think that you had a TKR or a revision of some sort? I can just imagine if I wasn't able to communicate how things would have played out. Can you imagine??? It was getting quite comical during my stay, as anybody new that came in just didn't seem to know that I had a fusion...and were SHOCKED! One of the nurses told me the info. was buried in the chart "somewhere", but it had been corrected. I'm still scratching my head on this one....

Anyway...I'm not in a lot of pain, but taking my meds faithfully as directed. I'm kinda glad he decided to use the "Witchita" nail instead of the T-2. I think I"d be in a lot more pain and discomfort had I had an incision in my hip and ankle to place the T-2. I have a longer scar running from the bottom of my knee to the top...I'd say it's about 10" long, and 2 other ones, each 2" long. One is above my knee and to the outside, and the other is just below my knee, to inside. He said those were made to place the screws that connect the 2 pieces of the "Witchita".
No weight bearing (only toes and ball of foot) until I see him again on the 26th. They did use cadavor bone (crushed and mixed) around where the 2 pieces of the "Witchita" connect, so he wants to be sure that heals. He did NOT use any cement.
So...here I "recline" with my Poms surrounding me getting through the next couple of weeks and laying low! I have no regrets (so far) about having this done, but am very anxious to see what I can have done to level out my left leg to my right leg. I know it's going to be very uncomfortable getting around until I'm able to weight-bear. More for my back and hips than my leg/knee. However...I know this is the recouperation period, and I've got to be patient. I've got the rest of my life with my "Witchita", so we'll take our time getting to know each other!
 
Thanks for the picture, Jo! Yup...that's it! Isn't it pretty? !!!!:flowerysmile:
 
Very perdy! You know, it shows how rare this operation is that no-one really took on board what it was. You're right - they probably thought it was some kind of revision! Heel slides indeed! :DOH:
 
Audrey. I totally agree with you about having someone to advocate for you. *I had no idea how the pain meds worked. I had the op on 2/21 and by 2/23, I didn't know who I was or where. Fortunately hubby was able to sort out the meds and with the help of OS, we got me stabilized and into rehab. Phew.*
 
Audrey, so happy that you now have your fusion, and things hopefully can only get better from here on in. You sound wonderfully positive, and I hope you remain like this throughout your recovery. Look forward to following your story with interest, and lots of love to you.

Pooshay, what a pair of legs, they look great even with your dressings on. Also hope your recovery is going smoothly, and keep posting. We are all here for you both any time you need a cheerful word! :friends:
 
Audrey,

So glad to hear that you are home now, and pretty much not in great pain. Really looking forward to following your story. Get some well deserved rest and take it very easy for now.
 
Good Morning all! Well..it's day 6 out of surgery and here come the "boo hoo's". Woke up and just started to cry...and cry...and cry. Not from pain, but from the relief that this is now over, plus I'm very tired, and so on, and so on. For all of you that have had this "sweep of emotion", take it from me...it's OK!!!!! Let it out....don't hold back. Many of you have posted that you feel like you are going into a dark depression of sorts. Well...look at all your mind and body have gone through before, during and after your surgery.
Now that it's "over", we deserve a good cry, right? It always makes me feel better. No shame in it, and if I could I'd hug each and every one of you that is going through their "boo hoo" time and cry right along with you! :friends:

The crying comes in waves. One minute, I'm fine...the next, I'm a waterfall! It helps to post to the forum, so here I go! :cry:

I slept ok last night, and I'm not in a lot of pain. I am getting a visit from "home health" today. Apparently, it's something that I have to do, as I didn't go to rehab after the hospital stay. Oh well...gotta do what I gotta do. I hope she likes dogs! :wink1:
 
Audrey,
Hope all goes well with home health, and that they like your dogs. Glad to hear your pain is under control.
 
Well...here's the "nasty". 38 staples in all. 28 on the long "snake", and 5 on the smaller ones. I've got 5 that don't show, which are on the outside of my leg just above the big scar. My knee is VERY VERY swollen...I'd say probably DOUBLE the size of it normally. Note: Because my original incision was to the side of the kneecap, rather than over the top, like most, Dr. opted to use the same scar. This is the 4th time it's been opened up in the same pathway. However, he did have to go about an inch longer on both ends this time.
 
Audrey,

I do have a question for you, does it feel uncomfortable to no be able to bend the knee? I know when I was so swollen and my leg just would not bend at all after surgery I got very uncomfortable like the whole thing was just cramping up. Just curious.
 
Hi Rose! I JUST said to my hubby..."I feel like I need to bend my knee...but that's not gonna happen"! Too funny.
No..it doesn't cramp up, but I do have point and flex my foot a lot during the day, and do "toe circles". I think because my mind knows that it's not going to bend, it's a "brain thing" that I'm NOT getting any cramping. If I knew I COULD bend my knee, and couldn't, I'm sure I'd be getting some cramping. Sounds kinda weird, huh? Funny what our brains can do for us physically!
 
Audrey-
I've been wondering how you were doing! Am glad you are home.
Your scar is a good one. I bet you'll be happy when the staples are out- I know that both times I had staples (33 in my left and 30 in my right) I felt better once the staples were out. The swelling is huge, but you've got to expect that since you can't use ice.
I am sorry you've had to go through all of this, and am hoping that you can start to find some mental healing as well as physical. Really hoping that things go as well as can be expected and that you can get around ok.
If you ever need anything- I am only about an hour away, so let me know!
~ Kit
 
It's an adjustment that has to go from your leg to your brain! But it will. At least you don't have to worry about adhesions! :wink1:
 
Hi Audrey, its lovely to know that its over with now for you, and you can now concentrate on getting as much out of the fusion as you can. You sound very positive, and I wish you a speedy recovery and a great life afterwards. I am sure you will enjoy being able to just live without waiting for ops, etc. Keep posting and your positivity, its catching!! x:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom