Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audrey,
I love this stuff, so please post the details.
Sounds like the knee fusion is the way to go, and you have a good surgeon.
All the best!
 
Thanks for posting the pic, Jo! I have been on the "Stryker" website looking at this nail as well. I have to laugh....it sure doesn't look like a NAIL, does it! I do believe you are correct in how he is going to secure it. I wish I didn't have that post in the tibial component. Sure would make this a whole lot easier, as he said getting that out is gonna be a B**CH!

I finally got 2 good night's sleep! I think I've been stressing a lot about the surgery, and not having all the details. Once I got them, and had my appt. with Dr. Kelly, I am sooo much more at ease. I've got a good mind-set for the surgery and recovery, so I think I'm ahead of the game. Going to Florida to visit my Mom the week before is going to help, too!
 
Oh I bet it will come out easier than he thinks! He's being a pessimist!
 
Getting the post out might not be as hard as he thinks. My OS thought mine would be really hard cuz he said he cemented it in for life but when he had to remove it he was suprised at how easy it was to remove. Hopefully you will have easy results.
 
Woo hoooo! It's FEBRUARY! I just heard from my friend's sister, (Wendy) who helped me out with getting the BEST surgical team on my first go-round in Portand. She's assembled pretty much the same people to be in the OR as then! That means, I've got "Russ", the BEST anesthesiologist, Cheryl (the "ortho Queen", as she says), the same pain specialist, Dr. Kelly's #1 OR nurse, Wendy, and of course, Dr. Kelly. Wendy is coming in on her day off to be with me. I can't tell you all how much this calmes my nerves and makes me feel at ease.

It's hard having the surgery almost 3 hours away from home, but having the best outweighs not having people be able to visit. John (super-hubby!) will be there, but will be returning home to take care of all the critters once he knows I'm ok and in good hands for the night. He'll come back mid-morning. I think my daughter is going to go down as well, but that will depend on the weather. Thank goodness for a cell-phone! However, I think I found it almost impossible to use for the first 24 hours after surgery, as those wonderful pain drugs make you kind of "loopy"!
I will "enjoy" (ha ha) the next 27 days of being able to somewhat bend my knee and wearing my faithful companion "Peg". (that's what I've named my cast, just in case any of you didn't know) It will be nice to put her away after the surgery! She's starting to "rub" on me a bit! :wink1:
Hope all is going well with everybody else.....and I can't thank you all enough for posting, following and continuing to support me in all of this.
:friends: ~Audrey~
 
Audrey,

I am so excited to hear about your knee fusion! May this be the result that finally gets you out of pain and back to living life to the fullest! You deserve nothing less!:friends:
 
Thanks again, everybody! Went to Portland for pre-op stuff on Friday. Very un-eventful. Basically just did bloodwork and had to sign consent forms. Bloodwork results came back today, and all is fine!
 
Hi "Pooshay"! I'm glad you found my thread. I hope that others will read it and learn from the mistakes I've made, and know that hope is not all lost when dealing with a revison and other obstacles that get in the way!

For all of you that remember that I named my cast "Peg", I've got a doozy for you now! We've decided to "name" my new leg...RODNEY. Get it??? Rod-knee!!!! :hysterical:

Gotta keep the humor, ya know!
 
Audrey,

I love your sense of humor! Congratulations on the green light towards a successful surgery and know that I will be praying for you!

Sonja
 
Hi Audrey, just looking around the threads, and was completely fascinated reading through yours, and previous ones, and am totally in awe of your cheerfulness and postivity. Maybe all Bonesmarties should read this thread, it puts our own recovery problems completely into perspective, and you realise how lucky we have been.:ThankYou:

I pray that this works for you as you really deserve some good luck, and look forward to hearing that you have regained your life, whilst keeping your wonderful sense of humour.

Take care...:friends:
 
Thanks to all again! The countdown has begun...and it's a good thing, because "peg" is getting pretty worn out! Just about 3 more weeks, and "Peg" can retire and "Rodney" will do the job!
I wish there was a way to link my thread, comments, etc. with people who are following. It's really hard jumping to everybody's page and trying to remember who I posted to. I'd like very much to be able to follow everybody that has been following me and how THEY are doing. Any suggestions, Jo?

I can tell you that having my knee immobile has certainly made my life a whole lot easier! I know the fusion is going to be tough, but just knowing that I won't have to worry about bending the knee anymore will be a relief. Seems like every time I "experiment" with trying to bend and get to a certain degree, I regret it. One step forward, and 3 steps back. Ugh!

When you are ready for something, you are READY! And I am sooooo READY! I wish I could have the surgery tomorrow!!!

My whole family is going snowmobiling at Baxter State Park this weekend. I sooo want to go! Hubby is excited, as it will be his second time ridng his new sled, and it is so beautiful around the Mt. Katahdin area. Jealous? YOU BET! I'm hoping that maybe next year, I can find a way to stick my leg under the "hood" of the sled and at least go for a couple of hours. The "old" me could ride 150 miles and think nothing of it! Where there's a will...there's a way!

Got a question for "caneguy": I was wondering if the screws they use to fixate the rod bother you at all, or if you can feel them. I'm wondering more about the ones around the ankle area.
 
WOW, three weeks to go. Then you will be ready for some :sleigh:, that was as close to a snowmobile I could find. :yes 4:
 
Got a question for "caneguy": I was wondering if the screws they use to fixate the rod bother you at all, or if you can feel them. I'm wondering more about the ones around the ankle area.


Hey Audrey!

No, I do not feel the screws at all. When I touch my leg near the ankle, there is no chance to feel the screws.

So, there is no need for worries about these screws, you won´t feel them at all!

And the same applies to the whole rod, you will never recognize you have such a long titanium rod in your leg! It just feels like it was not there at all. So, this rod is a very comfortable thing to live with, it can stay in the leg for life!
 
Thanks for the quick response "caneguy"! That is GREAT news! Glad the same applies for the rod as well...I'm getting tired of my cast and the confined feeling on my leg. Will be great to wear pants again without all that bulk! ....do you have to use your cane most of the time, or only during certain circumstances? How is it to walk without it?...also, do you remember how long it was before you were able to bear weight after your surgery? Were you using arm crutches for a while, and if so, how long?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom