Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the quick response "caneguy"!

You can call me by my real name which is Malte (native English speaker might not be familiar with the correct pronounciation :wink1:


do you have to use your cane most of the time, or only during certain circumstances? How is it to walk without it?...also, do you remember how long it was before you were able to bear weight after your surgery? Were you using arm crutches for a while, and if so, how long?

Well, actually I only need an aid for very long distances, usually I do not use a cane and do not need it. I just like it to walk with a cane :secretaea:

Oh, now after having had a shower I touched my lower leg again and I must admit, maybe I can feel the screws with my finger tips :blush: I guess, it is the screw what I can feel there, but I am not sure...

But I do not feel them inside my leg. You won´t feel the rod or the screws inside your leg, you soon will forget there is an ugly long rod inside your leg at all!

I do not remember correctly, I guess I have used forearm crutches for 2-3 months, but during this period I already was able to bear some weight. I would suggest to be cautious in the first two months, after two months you can bear a bit more weight.

If everything will be fine, after bony consolidation you probably won´t need any walking aids, you can use a crutch or a cane if it makes you feel better or safer on the street. You just need to be careful in winter, icy sidewalks are the only real dangers for us :th_heehee:

Oh, by the way, you are a very pretty lady I must say, from what I see on your profile pic, your husband really is luck to have such a beautiful woman like you :doggieshmooze:
 
Thanks for the info Jo and Malte! ...I think I am the lucky one to have my hubby. He has been there for me through thick and thin, let me cry when I needed to, and didn't ask questions. You know...sometimes, you just gotta have a good cry!
I am "Miss Independent", and sometimes he gets frustrated with me wanting to do things on my own. I've never wanted pity, and if I can manage without help, then I'm going to! Sure...it would be much easier to say "help me" all the time, but I just have that stubborn streak in me!
However, if I need help, I will ask...but only after I've tried on my own.

I'm glad you let me know that I'll be using the arm crutches for a while. I'll prepare myself! I really don't mind them at all. The only thing that bugs me is when I drop one on my new wood floor! argh....!!!!

I'm glad I'm having the surgery in the winter. It's hard to go outside, as we have more ice than snow this year. So...I'll just hunker down for a couple of months inside, and when the springtime comes, I will be more ready to go outside and get used to my new leg, "Rodney"!

I will post a new profile pic with me and my "guard dogs"! They are all Pomeranians and the 2 black ones never leave my side! Wish I could bring the ponies inside. Now wouldnt' THAT be a hoot!

Hope everybody is having a pain-free, productive and happy day! :thumb:
 
Some do!

[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion


and this mini horse is a guide 'dog' for her blind owner!
[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
 
Wow! That is hilarious! Thanks for sharing the pics! ....we had a mini in our area a few years back that was a guide horse for his blind owner. They put sneakers from "Build A Bear" on him so that they would walk trails in Acadia National Park! It's amazing what a horse can do! I'm sure that "Maybelline", our mini horse, will be walking with me once I get on my feet. She loves to go down the road and into the field, and she walks slow enough for me to be safe. She's only 32" tall at the withers...about the size of a large German Shepard...but much cuter! This is Maybelline!
 
What a cutie! And what fun! Who would ever think that you'd be seeing "seeing eye" mimi horses on a joint replacement site. I love it!

Tho' i haven't posted you before, I have been keeping up with your thread. Am rooting for you. Judy
 
Hey Judy B.! Thanks for being one of my cheerleaders! I'm so glad that both your TKR's were a success! Keep following me...you never know what you'll find out...or see!
Sometimes it helps to interject something "fun" or "different" just to let everybody know that we aren't just about knees :wink1:.
 
Hi Audrey, Maybelline is beautiful, I want one!!! :sigh:

Take care, and hope you get loads of lovely walks with her. :friends:
 
Audrey, I'm just catching up with you and so pleased to hear the happiness in your posts! It sounds as if your challenges may finally be at an end soon.

You know, you can "follow" any member you want by subscribing to a thread of theirs. Then you will receive an email notification when a post is added to that thread.
 
Audrey,

Maybelline is sooo adorable. Funny story, one of my fellow Great Dane Breeders also bred minis, she had a few of them in the house with the dogs and they actually learned from the Danes to "go outside" when nature called.
Just amazes me how intelligent some of thes animals are.

Thoughts and prayers going your way for a very successful surgery and the end to all that you have been thru.
 
Wow! Only one more week and I'll be visiting my Mom in Florida....and 2 more weeks and I'll be saying "good-bye" to "Peg"! I'll be honest....I'm getting butterflies already. But not because I'm nervous or having second thoughts. I'm just READY! :dancy:
 
Hi everybody! Well...I had a GREAT time in Florida visiting my Mom this past week. I'm really glad I had the chance to go before surgery on Tuesday! I can't believe the time is almost here! I'm getting nervous, anxious and excited all at the same time. I just really, REALLY want this to be over with.
"Peg" (my cast) was a great help while in Florida. The warm weather was great for my knee/leg as well. Only goes to show that the cold DOES affect it. Got a chance to go to the beach, and I was really surprised how easy it was to walk in the sand without using "Peg". It is going to be sooo nice not to have to wear it anymore, but I will keep it in the closet for a while. It HAS been good to me.

So.....the time is approaching. Surgery for fusion on Tuesday, Feb. 28th at 10:15. I won't know if Dr. is going to use the T2 nail, or the Witchita until I get there. Either way, I know he will choose what will be best for me. Oh...while in Florida, I had to get in and out of a car....NOT FUN!!! I'm so glad that I've got an SUV. I don't know how somebody can continue to get in and out of a car with a fusion. It's a lot of work for the other knee/leg to hoist your body that far up. Soooo much easier in a taller vehicle!
As soon as I am able, I will post and give you all the details. The good, the bad and the ugly! I can't thank you all enough for your words of encouragement and support. I don't know where I'd be if you all were not there giving information, advice and support. :flowerysmile:

I truly am a very, VERY lucky lady!! Love to you all, ~Audrey~
 
Audrey,

All the best to you on Tuesday. I sure hope this puts an end to all the suffering you have gone thru. All my thoughts are prayers are with you on this new journey. Please let us know, when you are up to it, how you are getting along.
 
Audrey, I'm so glad to hear you had such a great time in Florida. You deserved a little pampering! And....I'm so jealous.....a walk on the beach! Nothing better than that for sure. I know this mental break was good for you and it put you in the right place for your surgery this coming week. My prayers are with you and I am so looking forward to hearing from you when you're in recovery.
 
Audrey, good luck on Tuesday. I'll be thinking of you. See you on the other side and let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it.
 
Audrey,
All the best on Tuesday, see you on the otherside. Looking forward to your updates on your progress.
 
Good luck Audrey, I am sure you will be posting soon, so will look out for your posts when you are ready, and we will all be here waiting to share in your own recovery. :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom