Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I just HATE this cold weather! Stuck inside because the cold makes my knee and leg ache to the point that I can't stand it and have to take pain meds. I wish I could just have this surgery now and get this behind me. Feb. 28th is a long way away when you are housebound.
 
I'm with you!!!! The cold has sort of skipped us here in Kansas so far, but that is supposed to change tonight and we're likely to get some snow!!! UGH!!!!
 
I agree...yesterday 57degrees and right now 12 degrees. I haven't even gone outside today. I think winter has arrived.
Greda
 
Well, I finally got outside today. I've been in the house for a week. Haven't even been to the barn..it's been just too cold. I love my house, but I've been going stir-crazy! I have 2 choices: stay warm, stay in the house and be able to keep the pain meds in the jar, or go outside, worry about slipping, get my leg cold and take pain meds. I opted for the first. I did go for a nice ride today (in the car, of course!) and got out into the "land of the living". Even went to the grocery store! I wrapped my leg in an ace bandage, then put the cast on. My hubby drove, so I could just sit back and sip my hot chocolate. AAAaaahhhhhh!!!!!
It's getting really hard NOT to get depressed. Not much to do, and the TV is boring. Sometimes, I feel like I'm just taking up space. I don't feel like this from April thru December. Just Jan, Feb and March are really hard for me. I wish Feb. 28th was next week! I'm soooo ready to get this fusion done and not look back!!!!
 
. I wish Feb. 28th was next week! I'm soooo ready to get this fusion done and not look back!!!!

The waiting certainly is the hardest part! I have always said that I wish that they could tell you what you need done, and just wheel you down the hallway and get it done.

Here in Ohio, we have these ""Lube Stops" that are ten-minute oil-changes. You pull up,they open the hood, and you get it done; no fuss, no muss! I wish these procedures were like that---come in, get the diagnosis, and then get'r done!
 
I can identify with you Audrey. I am 5 1/2 weeeks post op revision and have had to stay on crutches all that time. I live in Montana at 5400 ft elevation (cold!) and also miss my horses. I watch them from the window, but want to go out and hug them around their necks and rub the snow off their eyelashes....and then just take a nice long whiff of horsey fur!
 
I can definetely identify what that, "richkat2". Nothing like the smell of a horse! (That sounds sort of "cookoo-bird", doesn't it!) :hysterical:
 
Audrey, I went to see the Speilburg film "War Horse" today. I saw the play about a month ago in London. That was pretty awesome but the movie is something else. You can also almost smell the horse sweat! Can't wait till the dvd comes out! In the meantime, I shall be going back to see it again at least a couple of times.
 
I want to see that movie soooo badly...but my Mom saw it and said she cried out loud in the theatre! I may have to wait till it comes out on DVD and watch it at home...with a full box of tissues!
 
I want to see that movie so bad. I'm gonna have to find someone that wants to see it too cuz I don't want to go alone.
 
Definitely a box of tissues! I was clapping (silently) and punching the air when the horse made a break through all the warfare, mud, gunfire and trenches. It was so exciting and then ............... but I won't spoil it for you. I actually really cried in the closing moments when .... nah, never mind!
 
I cried too....LOTS! So just be prepared. But it is a beautiful story and the cinematography is beyond belief!!!
 
Hey Audrey!

I just read about your decision and I am sure it will turn out to be the best decision!

I had my knee fusion in 2009 and I had a long rod, a T2 nail from Stryker.

What you have described is a "coupled" nail that consists of two parts. There are a few companies that make such knee fusion nails.

One such nail is the Mayday arthrodesis nail. It is a coupled nail.

The long rod has the advantage that early weight bearing is possible. I don´t know why your doc prefers a coupled nail over a long nail.

The long nail has only one disadvantage: during surgery there is some amount of blood loss. If you have any blood issues the long nail may be difficult to use.

After knee fusion I stayed in hospital for about 10 or 12 days and I used two forearm crutches for about 2 or 3 months.

I am now totally pain free. Climbing stairs is more effort now and I had to make slight changes to my car, the gas pedal needed to be put to the left side, I drive now with my left leg. My right knee is the fused one.

Darling, keep us informed!

Best regards
 
Hey Caneguy, nice to see someone else here who has a fused knee. That is one of the options I have if the next knee in Oct doesn't work. Mine is my right knee also. I have a left foot accelerator installed in my car. It can come out so other people can drive the car if needed. Makes life so nice. Only problem is I can't rent a car and drive. :)
 
It can come out so other people can drive the car if needed. Makes life so nice. Only problem is I can't rent a car and drive. :)


Oh yes! I know what you talk about! You can only drive your own car and can never rent a car or use the car of another family member. When my car needs repair I am always impatient to get it back quickly, because I can only drive my own car. This is something we have to live with. But, hey, there are more important things, isn´t it :wink1:
 
Caneguy, I learn from you all the time!

Mayday nail
[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
 
Oh you found some nice pictures of the Mayday nail :thumb:

As far as I know there are still more vendors that make coupled nails. No matter, if a long nail like the T2 is used or a coupled nail, an internal nail always has much more comfort for the patient. No cumbersome device around the leg and early weight bearing.

But, the used fixation also depends on the experience the surgeon has. A surgeon who has never used an intramedullary nail will probably continue to use external fixators (or he may be brave and learn something new :snork:

In the end the only thing that counts is that Audreys knee fusion will be successful, no matter what type of fixation is used. So I would say go ahead and all will be well :hapydancsmil:

I think so many people waste so many years with failing TKRs and countless revisions and have so much pain, if they had a knee fusion years earlier, they would have avoided so much pain and tears. Having a fused knee is not that bad and I am sure it is better than losing so many years. Just my opinion.

Hugs
M
 
Hey! Sorry I haven't posted in a few, but I didn't have much to say...pretty much just staying home and taking it easy!
I was sooo tired after getting back from Portland yesterday. We didn't get home till 6:00, and then my friend called and she has a sick horse. Tried talking her through what to do. We think the horse has an ulcer, so no more grain. Only hay. I hope she will listen to me, but she keeps feeding grain. Time will tell.....
I had a GREAT visit with Dr. Kelly. Spent about 45 minutes with me. He is talking with another Dr. in Boston to see what type of fusion would be best for me. He is thinking the T2 nail. It is a long nail, that is curved to between 5 and 8 degrees, so my knee would not be perfectly straight. He needs to go in through my hip area. The "nail" or rod, is as long as my leg, and held on with screws at the top, near my hip, but NOT attached to my hip...only the femur. It is then attached to the bottom of my tibia, near my ankle, but not on the ankle.
He says the hardest part of the surgery will be removing the tibial component that has the post in it. He says that will take about 45 minutes to get out. The femoral component doesn't have a post,, so that will take about 15 minutes. His main concern is not breaking the tibia. IF that happens, he will have to stop the surgery for the fusion, put me in a cast for 6-8 weeks, then do the fusion after that. Hopefully, that won't happen, but he wanted to prepare me just in case. He said I'll have an incision about 6" long at the top of my leg, another at my knee, and another just above my ankle. He said "it won't be pretty". Heck...it's not pretty now! LOL He said barring any complications, I will be in the hospital for 4 days.

He's not sure how long it will be before I can bear weight on it, as that will depend on how the surgery goes. He thought anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks, but is leaving that open. He did agree that moving my knee (bending) is causing the RSD to flare up, so the fusion really is the best option for me to have a life. He isn't guaranteeing that I'll be "pain free", as every time is different. Going by the past surgeries, he says I'll be in some pain for approx. 4 months, and then hopefully, it will be on a very low scale like it is now.
He was very impressed on how much research I had done, and that I had good friends that found others who also had a fusion, that I could chat with! The surgery is going to take about 3 hours. He also said that IF the tibial component would not come out, he may have to do a tibialectomy (something like that) but it wouldn't affect the fusion being done. He said the recovery would be very much like recovering from a TKR. He also mentioned a "Witchita" nail, but I think he's pretty much leaning towards the T2.
I feel very much relieved getting the details and information. I HATE being in the dark. I know some people don't want to know all the details, but I need to know. I told him I'm more scared of NOT having the surgery than having it. He said where I have mimicked having a fused knee, I am way ahead of the game. A lot of people don't or won't put themselves in a cast. I would highly recommend that to anybody thinking about a fuison. It really does give you the experience of having a fused knee/leg and whether or not it is something that is right...for YOU.
 
Hi "caneguy"! omg...I just read your post...of course, AFTER I typed out mine! LOL Thank you, THANK YOU for posting that you have a T2! My surgeon did mention that I'd probably have to have a blood transfusion, but I'm ok with that (due to the amount of blood that will be lost during the surgery). I know this sounds really weird to say, but I am really looking forward to having this surgery done. It's been a long 2 1/2 years, and although life will be different, I know it will be BETTER than it is now! Thanks again for posting. Oh...it's my LEFT leg that will be fused, so no problems with the gas pedal!
 
Here you are, Audrey. The broken link removed: https://www.stryker.com/en-us/products/Trauma/LowerExtremity/Knee/T2KneeFusion/index.htm

[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion


In case he didn't explain, the reason for the three incisions is that they start in the knee by removing the implants. Then they drive the nail into the femur until it extrudes from the top end. Where it bulges in the soft tissue, a small incision is made to allow it to exit. The nail is driven on until it is flush with the lower end of the femur. At this point, the leg is straightened and the nail will be driven back down so it enters the tibia.

This is the way we always repaired fractured femurs only we put the nail in through the broken end of the upper part of the femur, then closed the fracture and drove the nail back down into the lower part, thus securing the fracture.

It's known as a retrograde insertion.

There are many ways of transfixing the nail top and bottom but from your description, I think this would appear to be what he has in mind

[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom