Guest viewing is limited

THR London Recovery.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jaycey thanks so much! Your answers are such a help and have made me feel better. I have had two physio sessions (outside hospital) and have another next week.
Gill
 
@firsttimer Hi Heinz, good to know I'm not the only one! I hope your gout is all gone. My Dad gets gout and it is horrible.
Gill
 
Driving.....

Hi all. Feeling proud as I've been for my first post new hip drive. Drove for about 10 mins. Only some discomfort from hip in that position (car is low) and even had to stop sharp for a BMW pulling out in front of me. And that was fine too!
I know loads of you have just got back in your cars without any fuss but I was a scaredy cat. Driving pre new hip was no fun (pain pain) and I had got to avoiding it whenever I could.
So maybe soon I will really like it again and in the meantime I won't have to depend on others for lifts Yay!
So if anyone is worried like I was- have a go first just sitting and get as comfy as you can. I have the seat in a slightly different position now, so that might be the same for you. Practice pushing the pedals right down and if it feels ok, it's ok. Check your car insurance rules first, as they are all different (as others have said).
 
Hi Gill @miaow27 , just checking - have you been released to drive by your OS? If not you could have problems with your insurance if anything happened. Or maybe you didn't have that restriction?

Glad you go out and about though. Freedom at last!
 
Hi everyone,
It is now almost 8 weeks....
Feeling ok, not really taking any painkillers except for the odd pain. Sleeping is improving but still wake up at odd times during the night. Can just put on socks etc. and am generally more mobile.
Still need to rest with leg up after walking or doing stuff for a while, but generally on the up.

Today I rejoined The Gym. Walked 15mins there and back. Did 10 mins bike and 10 mins elliptical trainer both on level 1. And I did some of my physio exercises with the theraband while I was there.
I liked the cycling best I think I'll do more next time.
Now elevating with a little ice....

On sleeping ( or not as the case may be) - Does anyone have their operated leg go numb after sleeping a while on their side? I have had this a lot since trying to sleep on my side. It happens whether it is operated side or the other side, although the operated side us not always comfortable. Maybe it is just nerves 'waking up' but just wondered what it is...

Tomorrow I might DRIVE to the POOL....

Have a good day,
 
Great update! I'm not experiencing the numbness you describe but it wouldn't surprise me if it was just nerves waking or regenerating? Do you have any back issues? Are you sleeping on a new or different mattress? It may just be part of recovery.
 
Hi good to 'see' you @Madowa - how are you doing? I have been wondering how you are.
Re the numbness- I haven't been sleeping long on my side- just on my back - so it is probably just the change of position...
 
Hi everyone,
It is now almost 8 weeks....
Feeling ok, not really taking any painkillers except for the odd pain. Sleeping is improving but still wake up at odd times during the night. Can just put on socks etc. and am generally more mobile.
Still need to rest with leg up after walking or doing stuff for a while, but generally on the up.

Today I rejoined The Gym. Walked 15mins there and back. Did 10 mins bike and 10 mins elliptical trainer both on level 1. And I did some of my physio exercises with the theraband while I was there.
I liked the cycling best I think I'll do more next time.
Now elevating with a little ice....

On sleeping ( or not as the case may be) - Does anyone have their operated leg go numb after sleeping a while on their side? I have had this a lot since trying to sleep on my side. It happens whether it is operated side or the other side, although the operated side us not always comfortable. Maybe it is just nerves 'waking up' but just wondered what it is...

Tomorrow I might DRIVE to the POOL....

Have a good day,

Hi miaow27,
i have a dull pain that sets in after sleeping on the op side after 10 or so minutes then I have to turn around to the other side. No numbness though. I also enjoy riding the exercise bike. It helps me stretch out the leg muscles.
Cheers Heinz
 
@miaow27 Easy does it my friend! Just talking from experience but you might want to make those gym days every other day for now. Your body may need a rest day in between workouts at first. I was also told to wait until the 3 month mark before adding any resistance on any equipment. Glad you are out and about though.
 
Hi Jaycey,
I hear you :-) I'm feeling it a bit now and thinking maybe every other day..
My physio said cycling with no resistance too. The lowest the machines will go is 1
Thanks for your kind words
 
So today I went back to work - all day. Got there by train ( involving a fair bit of walking as well and steps...) as car is at the garage.... It was ok but I'm grateful for the GP ordering a phased return and only 2 days this week. Next day is Thurs this week.
Gym is going well - I can do 20mins on bike and 15 on elliptical trainer on least resistance the machines can do. I walk 10 mins there and back too. I still definitely need my stick on the way back from the gym and usually after 200m. It stops me limping too much.
When I'm tired I feel the leg length difference more. This afternoon at work was a prime example.

Generally I am getting a bit more 'in tune' with what I can manage (I hope!) and reign in over enthusiasm
before I get too exhausted and in pain.

But let's see what I'm like tomorrow...

'It's not a sprint, it's a marathon' I believe I've read here ;-)

Wishing everyone a good evening,
Gill
 
@miaow27 Hi there Gil! Been a while and was wondering how you're doing? It's about 12 weeks for us both, right? Thought we'd compare notes. Hope you are feeling well. Peggy ;)


RTHR 07-Jan-2014 Posterior
 
Hi Peggy @Madowa, so I've done three days this week and coped ok while there- back home after felt crashing exhaustion!
So glad my GP said phased return - the one day on , one day off for work is a good idea.
Yesterday felt good - had best sleep for ages. Most nights I wake with pain down outside of leg with feeling the worst of it mid calf. I thibk it is a nerve pain. It only comes when I lie down. Physio thibks it is Ilio tibial band.
Anyway yesterday was first day I did not use my stick at all. And I went to the gym and walked a fair way as well. Felt good about not using the stick.
How are you Peggy? Hope work not too stressful..

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
I wish I had done another week of half days. This is my second week full time and I am so exhausted once I hit Wednesday afternoon. My manager has been very understanding and has let me leave early on the rough days. Next week she suggested I work from home a couple days. I will do that. My biggest complaint is my low stamina. Also, I can't do more than 10 mins on the elliptical. So I'm plodding along, going to physical therapy twice a week and forgetting the gym for a while. I thought by now I would be back full force....Zumba, Pilates, spin, and elliptical......no way. So these extra 15 pounds I packed on during my initial recovery will just have to wait. It killed me, but I had to get larger sized pants for work! Ugh!! Oh well, it is what it is. Sounds like you're dealing with the same low energy. But we should be thankful....no infection or blood clot issues, thank goodness. Glad you're doing well, wishing you continued progress! Peggy ;)


RTHR 07-Jan-2014 Posterior
 
So glad you've coped well with your work ...sounds like it's all falling back I to place for you..fantastic news...that ner e pain will subside...in time! Take care..Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ilio Tibial Band issues.

Hi everyone, I thought I would share my experiences recently in case it helps anyone.

I'm 3 months from surgery and I have been having a fairly constant sharp kind of ache on my operated leg just below the knee.
I had this pain before surgery but not as sharp and of course had arthritic pain as well.

So I've been reading (here and elsewhere) and have tried various standing and sitting exercises for a tight ITB without much success or relief.
Today I thought I would give a roller at the gym a try. I managed to roll hip to knee 5 times on this roller, nearly brought years to my eyes from the pain, BUT I think it has helped and will be trying again at home.
I had thought it was some kind of nerve pain as it is worse lying down at night. I am fairly convinced now that it is ITB pain. I read on a site for runners that it can be caused by....Weak Hip Muscles- made me laugh!
I will continue my gentle cycling, walking and exercises from physio within pain limits and continue to roll hip to knee...
So thank you @Jo and @Jaycey for great explanations and info!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@miaow27 Those foam rollers are great. I used to use one on both hips and legs before I had my surgery because it would always make them feel so good. I'm sure you will see results if you continue using it. It feels so good when those tight muscles start to loosen up. I used to roll until I found a painful spot, then I would hold it there for a few seconds, then roll back, then to the spot again and hold it. You can feel it loosening!
 
@Dmcfad2, thanks! I was wondering if I should 'hover' on the worst bits, now I will. It really hurts though, hopefully it will get less and less as the band and muscles loosen...
:-) Gill



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom