Guest viewing is limited

TKR LKR 6 Jan, 16 Questions<

Despite having a different operation, I am also in the phase where weird pains come and go. My excellent OS did not seem concerned and said my ACL feels solid as a rock! That being said, it can be difficult for a patient to determine how serious a problem each pain reflects. When in doubt, I take it easy, just like kneeper says. The funny thing - taking it easy for a month (went from aggressive PT to no PT) improved my ROM and my strength immensely!

Congratulations on making progress with sleep and travel. I practice the exact methods suggested in the post shared by Josephine and travel is still something that affects me for days afterwards.
 
Yesterday I learned a tough lesson. It was 70 in MO, and for once we could be outside without freezing... After work, I came home and cleaned the garage, went for a bike ride and then took my boys to the baseball fields to hit them some fly balls. Well, you know the rest, by 7, I was in extreme pain and swelling and was up most of the night changing out ice packs. I just can't seem to get the idea, that just because I feel good, doesn't mean I can do everything I used to do. This morning, I am still in a lot of discomfort, but the swelling is down.
 
Well, other than cleaning the garage it sounds like you at least had fun. For now caution and "underdoing" is the order of the day. But a day will come when you can do all of those activities and not pay for it.
 
I had my 3 month Checkup with the OS, and all is good. He released me and said start building up the quads and hamstrings in my leg, so I can start running again. Flexion was 130 and 0, he was good with that, but thinks there is more to go! Started doing P90X this week, and found that I can do the Yoga and Leg's and Back exercises without any pain, and was pleasantly surprised to find that my knee is so much more stable than it was before, when I didn't have an ACL. I also got to play a 2 on 2 pickup basketball game last weekend with my son and his friend and another dad my size, fell a few times, but was shocked at how well I could move! Started jogging gently, and am finding that my patellar tendon get's sore, but I am good with that, the OS said no risk of injuring it running, but it will get tender until I get my muscles back to normal. I am doing a lot of lunges and wall sits, but not doing any squats with weights yet. So happy to have had this surgery, as I am finding I am getting my life back and then some. Sleep like a baby now, too! It all kind of came together the past few weeks.
 
:wowspring:Great report. You are doing so well. I'm very happy to hear that you are able to do so much. Keep on going!
 
You're doing great! You seem to be listening to your body and recognizing that you are not ready for some things yet, but doing the things your knee lets you. Isn't it a treat to have such a stable knee?

I found that by testing the waters bit by bit and not going overboard, I had a very smooth recovery with my 2nd knee with no tendinitis. I let PT move me along too quickly with knee #1 and pushed myself through soreness after I got back to work and wound up with stubborn tendinitis.
 
Outstanding report. I am inspired. I've started swimming laps and a gym routine. Never much of a runner, but I'm walking 2 miles a day. It feels great, doesn't it?
 
@jarabas, yes it feels great to be able to be so active and be free of the intense pain. This past week I have kept up the pace, and I can already tell that the muscles in my atrophied leg is starting to improve. Got the opportunity to help coach my son's track team this year, and they had their first practice. It was humorous to watch 12 year old girls power walk faster than I can run, but I am ok with that. I am not fast, but I am moving at a jog and not a painful walk anymore. I can tell after about 200 Meters of running that my muscles start wearing out, so I just walk a while and then pick it back up. Mix in some skaters and some lunges as I go. It is so neat to get my life back in such a powerful way, not being able to run for over 15 years, this is so great! I only wish I had done it sooner!
 
Been doing lunges, P90X legs and Yoga and running the past few weeks. One of my goals was to be able to run up a hill that is about 1/4 mile in length and be able to do it without stopping. took me a couple of weeks, but finally made it this weekend without stopping! Today, my 11 year old had to play a basketball game and at the end of the game, we had to walk about a 1/4 mile hill to get to the car. I ran it, and guess what, my 11 year old couldn't keep up, wow! Every week I work out more and more, and my leg gets to feeling stronger and less painful! Awesome!
 
Wow! You're a rock star! I'm about 2 weeks behind you in recovery, but I couldn't even think of doing what you are doing! You are one lucky dude to have such a smooth recovery!
 
Great Week! Finally made it a whole mile running without stopping. legs was tired, but not overly sore. I'd like to think I can continue to run further, but I am not sure it's practical. I think a mile will be good for me long term, it's way more than I could have dreamed, so I am so happy to make it this far. Leg is still numb on the kneecap, but it's strong and pain free! Spent this weekend opening our pool, in the past would have paid someone to do it, but this weekend, did it myself:)
 
Great weekend in St. Louis weather wise, decided to try out a game of wiffle ball with my boys, and was surprised how agile I was able to be running the bases. Leg feels great, even tried a 2.5 mile run on Sunday. When I got home I hit the couch and put my leg up and iced it for an hour, and woke up feeling great! In fact, the only part on my body that did not hurt this morning was my TKR Knee! The one thing I am finding is building up the muscle on my atrophied leg is going to take a lot of work! While I can run, it does wear out a lot faster than my other leg... Hope everyone is doing great and healing strong today! Upward and onward!
 
Today was my 5 month anniversary of my TKR. Leg is doing great! I have all of my stamina back, and am averaging about 8 miles a week running. Started out at a slow walk/run, but am up to 11 minute miles, now! Not super fast, but each week it gets easier and my leg gets stronger. It's so odd to see muscle on my leg again, it was atrophied for so many years. Playing Basketball with my 11 year old, and can actually do a crossover dribble again, and touched the rim this week:) Some days it does bark at me, but rarely, when it does, I sit that day out and ice my leg a lot. My goal keeps changing, but for now, I think joining a fall softball team is in the plans!
 
Happy to hear how active you are with your running and your son!!

OldFootballInjury, I know it is a little late, but could you add your surgery date to your signature, hover over your username top right, click on signature, add your information there. Thanks. It will help us, and new members reading your recovery thread to know when your surgery was, and how far along you are.

Let us know how your softball game goes,
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom