TKR LKR 6 Jan, 16 Questions<

What a beautiful day in Missouri! I have to admit, I am so glad I rested the past two days! I woke up this morning, feeling normal again, and my leg felt great , as well! So, I got to take my 11 year old fishing today, and even with all the walking, my knee feels great! So grateful for this surgery, it has transformed my life!
 
That is great to hear. So glad you are feeling better. My family philosophy has always been that if life knocks you down you get up and work harder. You sound like you are the same--get to work, get on the bike, got to push through, etc. But this philosophy just doesn't apply when it comes to knee replacement does it?
Now I like the life strategy that says when you need a pick me up go fishin.' It seems much more reasonable to me. Catch any? Was it cold? :realing:
 
Well I went ahead and took my first business trip since my surgery on the 6th of January. The flight being 3 hours, I set a timer every 30 minutes and got up and walked the aisles. Even so, my leg did swell up a lot, ankles, knee, leg, etc... I put it up when I landed and put ice on it for several hours and was able to go into the office and work til around 9 p.m. that night. Not recommended, but doable. I think the one thing I learned about this trip, is that I needed a lot of Ice and downtime, in between meetings to get through the week. Also, I learned if you ask the SW Airlines counter for early boarding, they will give it to you so you can get the front seat, which helped a lot. I am 4 weeks out now, and am finding I still don't have a lot of energy, but better than at 3 weeks. Also, flushed all the pain meds this week, as I don't really need them anymore and didn't want to be tempted to take them at night, etc... Am I crazy to do that, or is that a good move? Not sure, but just find if I have them around I will take them at night as sort of a crutch. I found I actually slept better without them, though, once i got rid of them... I hope everyone is doing well, I know this is so hard for so many!
 
It sounds like your trip went well considering that you are just a month out from surgery.
I have just worked my way off the meds except tylenol. I really needed them --too much pain to be at all comfortable, but I also had side effects from them. When I stepped down I had withdrawal symptoms too--three days that were not fun. They are such a blessing until they are not. I'm glad to be taking just the tylenol now.
I don't know, but can guess that the moderators might counsel that you need to include all forms of knee discomfort --aches, heat, swelling, etc. --when estimating your pain. As long as these things are not relieved by the meds, I assume it's okay to stop? Do I have this right folks? If you are still having swelling, aches, heat, you still need the meds. This is my understanding from what I read here.
 
Oh the energy drain! I am just barely three weeks out and am still amazed at how much this tkr saps out of me. Each day my stamina is getting better, but wow...still so weak! I am taking the good advice from bonesmart and making myself take it easy. I am glad to hear your knee is doing so well. Just remember to take it easy whenever you can so that your body can re-energize!
 
So, I got to take my 11 year old fishing today, and even with all the walking, my knee feels great! So grateful for this surgery, it has transformed my life!
Just wait until you are full recovered---you will be amazed at how great you feel!! you will continue to marvel at your knees and their normalcy---pain-free and behaving the way they should!
I think the one thing I learned about this trip, is that I needed a lot of Ice and downtime, in between meetings to get through the week.
Yep, you still have a long way to go---you are doing fine, but remember how long a recovery can actually take---the knee will remind you and you are listening quite well.
and am finding I still don't have a lot of energy,
Stamina is one of the last aspects to return---your body is still expending large amounts of energy on the healing process.
 
Also, I learned if you ask the SW Airlines counter for early boarding, they will give it to you so you can get the front seat, which helped a lot. I am 4 weeks out now, and am finding I still don't have a lot of energy,
Good for you! Better yet, have you seen this? Flying soon after surgery
Also, flushed all the pain meds this week, as I don't really need them anymore and didn't want to be tempted to take them at night, etc... Am I crazy to do that, or is that a good move?
Well yes and no. if you're in that 'inbetween' stage, then try just taking 1,000mg Tylenol instead, see if that works. And I don't believe anyone takes pain meds 'as a crutch'. They take them because they need them but it might not be raging pain. There are plenty of other manifestations which require medicating just as much - such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness. Got it?
 
I've really struggled to get a good nights sleep. My biggest issue is that I am a side sleeper and the one side I sleep on makes my knee ache at night. So far I have tried, two glasses of wine (worked for a few hours), 2 Gin and Tonics (never again, woke up a couple of hours later with a raging headache), Nyquil sleep aid (worked for a few hours, about like the wine) and finally, a muscle relaxer (never again, made me groggy, but never slept). Suffice it to say, I am not getting much sleep and it's starting to make me crazy! Pain Pills are out of the question, 1. The withdrawals when I stopped was wicked, and I don't want to deal with that again, 2. They wire me like I am on 20 cups of coffee and I find I sit and surf the web for hours at night, til I came down from being so wired. I have tried both Ibuprofen and Tylenol, separate and together, and mixed them with the Nyquil, as well. Help me with some ideas...
 
Stay away from the alcohol--it isn't going to make you sleep and it isn't good for you.
How about getting some sun or light therapy during the daytime, a hot bath in the evening, learning some relaxation techniques, discussing the problem with your GP?
 
Sadly that's something we all had to suffer for some weeks post op. The cause is simple - pain!
You might try something simpler (and safer) such as a pillow between your legs.

But did you follow my earlier advice?
Then I recommend to use 1,000mg Tylenol 4 times a day as less is not a working dose.
You should also try taking a Percocet instead of a gin&tonic!
 
I did, Thanks! I have been taking 4,000 mg of Tylenol, daily, and mixing in some Ibuprofen, when I need it, too! The Percocet just keeps me wired, so it's not going to work for me at night, and I finally am through the withdrawal symptoms of it, and don't want to have to go through them again. I was a bit surprised as to how uncomfortable I was after I stopped the Percocet, very depressed, anxious, flu like symptoms, and couldn't focus at all for about 4 - 5 days. I have been trying the pillow, and it works, but after about 30 minutes my leg just aches so bad on the side... I am starting to feel better this week, slept 7 hours last night, and have had a full boost of energy today, hallelujah!
 
jarabas, It was cold, too cold for the fish, but you know what they say, it's not what you catch, but the time you spend fishing that really matters! Especially when I get to spend it with my precious 11 year old son, who loves to fish and spend time fishing with Dad!
 
jarabas, great Idea, and I tried that this weekend, it was pretty cold but I forced myself to stay outside and get some fresh sun! Thanks for the advice!
 
Congratulations on getting some decent sleep. May this continue!
 
Here's to more sleep. Hopefully you have moved into a new phase!
 
I have a question. I am 6 weeks post today, and have noticed the past week some pain on the inside of my knee when I extend my knee. When I put my hand on the inside of the knee and extend my leg it feels like there is some debris or a ligament or something that is moving around and popping when I do it. I had a similar feeling before I had the surgery, and am curious if it is in my head, or if there is something going on. I don't go back to see my OS for another month. Other than that, I am doing great, back to work, biking, taking the dogs for a walk and continuing my PT at home. Any thoughts?
 
I met with the PT last night, and they said it was normal muscle issues from Atrophy. On a side note, I made it to 126 ROM last night! Super happy bout that!
 
Muscle atrophy? What nonsense! It's just a bit of the scar from the incision that's taking a little longer to settle down. Don't let it worry you.
 
Weird pains like that can be part of your recovery--they were for me. If it's still bothering you when you see the OS next month, mention it. Other than that, I'd say just take it a little easy when it's twingy.
 
Back
Top Bottom