TKR LKR 6 Jan, 16 Questions<

Can't believe it has been 8 months since my life changed dramatically! I am amazed at how great my leg feels, and really have no limits any more in my activities. I can sprint, run, play soccer, basketball, softball and pretty much anything my young boys want to do in the evenings after work. I have avoided the trampoline though, not sure that would be a good idea. The one thing I am so grateful for is my leg doesn't hurt at all. The only issue I have is an inflamed achilles on the same leg I had a TKR. My gut tells me that it is caused by the way my foot has changed in pronation from the surgery... But, I ice it when it swells up, and usually in a day or two I am back to normal. My next goal is to sign up the STL Cardinals fantasy camp, but not sure I am physically fit enough to do it this winter, so maybe next winter, but I can assure you I am going to do it. It has been a dream of mine that I thought would never come true due to my leg issues...
 
:wowspring:It's wonderful to hear how well you are doing. These new knees are simply amazing. Have you replaced your sneakers after your TKR? My TKR foot has an over pronation. I went to a store that caters to runners. They checked my gait, looked at my foot as it hit the ground and how I walked, measure my foot and then suggested a few pairs to try on that has really helped me a lot. They also wanted to see my old shoes too. It's a bit more expensive initially but now I can just order the same sneakers on line if and when they need to be replaced. :wowspring:
 
Oldfootballinjury,
Very happy to read you are going to be able to attend fantasy camp next year :yay:. Your knee has time to heal even more. I agree, trampoline is not wise.
Thanks so much for updating your thread, it is great to hear how you are doing!
 
I agree with the above posts. It's so wonderful to read a success story like yours. Chances are good that you can help your foot pain with some well-fitted new shoes. When you have joint replacement (hips or knees) we always recommend that you toss all your old shoes and purchase new ones. It's amazing how those slight wear patterns can impact your gait and result in foot pain.

Impact exercises like jogging and the trampoline are things to be attempted with caution after a knee replacement. People do it (ones that claim they cannot exist without that particular activity), but you need to wait at least a full year and start gradually to see how it feels. But I really wouldn't recommend it. You run the risk of shortening the life of your shiny new knee. It's a choice you'll have to make. A better option would be to find new activities that you enjoy that are more knee friendly. Have you tried cycling?
 
Just read your whole thread, and congratulations on your great recovery.
 
Back
Top Bottom