Guest viewing is limited

THR Lincolnshire lady -from the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poppet Kim22

Thanks, I am a really positive person, and it is good to receive such encouraging positive comments. I believe that if you think the right way, bad things CAN turn good, and that theres a bit of good in every situation, although sometimes you have to look for it! My motivation at the moment is my golf, which I love, and I can't wait to get going again.


In 2005, I was diagnosed with a progressive degenerative neurological condition (syringomyelia) which caused me to be medically retired from the job I loved. It was the end of the world at the time, as I WAS a bit of a workaholic. I hadn't realised how much stress and pressure I was under, and am sure that it was that which triggered my neuro condition. If only I had known what was on offer outside the world of work.......I enjoy every day now. I don't have much money, but I have a nice home, a brilliant husband, good friends, and golf! All i need is to hang on to my health as long as I can, and focus on what I CAN do rather than what I can't.

Thanks to all of you for your support in all of this, it's good to know that there are people out there who really care and understand. Onwards and upwards!
 
ellasmummy I understand you love of the golf game as it is similar to my love for the game of horseshoes. At nearly 8 weeks my physical therapist told me to start throwing but slowly. She told me to start tossing 20 shoes and not walk, next toss 20 and walk back and forth, then up it 5 or 10 tosses. Well I have done just that and it now is 3 weeks later and I can toss over 200 shoes and walk from pit to pit. Matter of fact, next weekend I am playing in my first tournament since last December. So when a therapist or OS gives you the okay please start out as slowly as possible and work you way there you will be glad you did. Your recovery sounds a bit like mine, so the best to you on your continued recovery, you will get there before you know it.
 
And you will get back to it ellasmummy, check out AussieMike thread, do a member search.. He got back into his golf.. :)
 
ellasmummy Thank you for reminding me to look for the good In every situation or as another member of this site quoted " Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to dance in the rain " You are so right to focus on what you can do and not what you can't.it is wonderful to be so grateful for all the good things in our life like a fantastic husband,a lovely home and a great passion such as golf.I took early retirement at 55 due to hip pain and poor mobility and did plan to return to work part time when I recovered from this surgery but I too have come to appreciate that there is a great life after work.I feel having gone through this experience which has been tough at times I no longer wish to spend my life being stressed out at work.

My passion was hiking and used to be a member of the Ramblers and just loved walking with my husband on the beach on our beloved Northumbrian coast and in the Cheviots so my goal is to be able to walk again as well as shopping with my daughter and just being able to get back to doing the little things in life that most people take for granted.I know I will realise my goals as you will very soon Maybe I should try golf too ?
 
Hello everyone. Five weeks down now, and still all seems to be well! I have my 6week appointment next Friday, I'm not sure who I get to see, but hope its the surgeon who did my op.i want to tell him how happy I am with his contribution to my new life :) and to make sure he looks after me if/when I need my other hip doing. I'm trying to keep upbeat about everything, and am hoping that the creaking and banging coming from my left hip is due to it having to do a slightly different job than previously, and that it is just being noisy as it resettles? Hope so!

I am walking much better now, and longer, my longest 'circuit' takes me about forty minutes to complete. I've done it today, AND taken a shorter trip to the newspaper shop, about an hour in all. In today's heat, it was really hard going, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Ached like mad afterwards, and had to take a couple of paracetamol afterwards, hope I didn't do too much. Will take a day off tomorrow, I. Front of the tv, there's tennis (come on Murray!) the Grand Prix (come on Lewis!) and some sky golf too. Heaven!

All being well, I will be able to drive after next Friday, so my stir-craziness should be sorted! Hope so.

Onwards and upwards!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lincolnshire lady -from the other side
[Bonesmart.org] Lincolnshire lady -from the other side
ellasmummy, so happy that things are coming along nicely for you. Yes, driving will be a real spirit lifter. We all miss the independence it gives us to know we just hop in the car and go if we want to.

Take care, keep up the good work, and keep us posted. We care.
 
ellasmummy You are doing great and I agree the go ahead to drive will be a great boost and give you back that independence as well as being another milestone.You are walking very well but you are right about the heat taking it out of you as we are just not used to it but a good rest is in order today to give you a chance to recover and there is plenty to enjoy on the telly .Come on Andy !
,
 
Yes onwards and upwards... you are doing so well, do let us know how you go with your appointment :)
 
Poppet Kim22 @bottomshollo Thanks for all the encouragement. It really makes a difference! It's crazy to feel so proud of myself for doing 'ordinary things' again, but I'll go with the flow!!
 
ellasmummy, just FYI. You can go back into a post to make corrections so you don't have to create a new post. Check out the blue line at the bottom of your post---see the word "Edit". If you click on that, it will take you back into the post, allow you to make corrections or add/delete content, and save the changes.
 
Hi everybody! Six weeks post op today, nd off for my check up today. Hope to be able to drive home, and maybe sleep in my usual place on my favourite side later, rather than on my own in our spare bed! So far so good! Will drop by later to report.
 
Just back from 6 week checkup - discharged! Yay!!!! Am so happy, can drive, sleep on my side if I want to, play golf in a month as long as I work up to a full swing gradually! Can't wait, but won't even think about it until I'm back from 'rehab' on 2 August. Stop the world I want to get on!!!!!!!
 
Hi ellasmummy I am so happy for you.No wonder that you are so excited with driving, side sleeping and golf in a month.Thats brilliant news.Well done ! So what are you doing for rehab ?
 
Hi Kim22 I used to work for the Fire Service, mainly in th Control Room. I was medically discharged in 2005 after 33+ years because of a neurological problem aggravated by workplace stress (but that's all in the past now!) The UK Fire Service has access to three brilliant centres for therapy and r and r for serving and former firefighters, other staff and their dependants, all funds by 'The Firefighters Charity'. I am going to the Therapy Centre in Cumbria, where I will be able to have intensive hydrotherapy, lots of walking and gym work, which I am really looking forward to, THEN I can get on and enjoy my retirement!

I'm there for two weeks, hoping to improve my range of motion, and build up some muscle tone in my legs and calves, THEN I can get back on the golf course and will be a truly happy bunny!
bottomshollow
 
Hello to all you hippies out there! Seven weeks down now and all systems go! In the UK we are having some really hot weather, and I am truly thankful that I am not just starting out on the hippie trail, it must be really tough in this heat, when just getting comfortable is a challenge, never mind having to deal with an uncooperative leg or two!

I'm still going along nicely. Driving was a bit scary to start with, but all is ok now, and I have been to the supermarket for the 'big shop' and almost enjoyed it! Am driving to Cumbria on Sunday, for my 2 weeks' physio, and am really looking forward to it.

I would not have believed that I would be doing any of these things, so have faith all you other hippies out there, good times are ahead!

Next stop, the golf course!
 
As someone once mentioned before... careful, golf can be very addictive! I played for a few years, it's one of those "I love this game!" ... "What the.... I hate this game!!!" nice shot.. "I love this game" sports. Fun and frustrating all wrapped up in one nice tiny white ball. :) Have a blast, and don't take it to seriously. :happydance:
 
Breaking news!!! I am over the moon and happy to report that tonight I have reached a major milestone.......I have had a lovely long lazy bath and afterwards......wait for it.......managed to bend my operated side leg enough to get it up on to the side of the bath and DRY MY OWN TOES!!!! Haven't been able to do that for best part of two years now. If I knew how to post a smiley, I would have a whole string of them!

I will do it for you (bottomshollow):) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :egypdance: :happydance: :spin: :dancy: :yay: :yes!:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom