TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

thanks everyone. i had more trouble with the 2 sets of 3 stairs in the box, which you can see in the background and my granddaughter is standing on a step; i think because i got stiff from sitting. @kmak81230 the food was amazing, all served to us in our box, including a huge basket of popcorn. it got pretty chaotic with all the 7 kids from 3 to 15 y.o. and 16 adults. @Canada35, yes standing o's for jose! @Polkadot lol, "step queen",:curtsey: that's me. small world, the teams and the fans do a lot of good work behind the scenes. thanks all for the support ~ still working on full rotation on bike, not there yet. oh, and my knee replacement didn't set off the metal detector...hmmm...i hope it's in there...hehe. actually the girl said it didn't set it off too much; i didn't hear a thing, but it was noisy there.
 
Interesting . . . mine set off the metal detector at the Rockies game so had to have the pat down -- showing my scar was not enough :umm:. It also sets off the detector at the airport, which the plate in my foot had not done. I was not prepared for the extra scrutiny when I flew to San Fran in July. Keep working on the bike: can you put the seat back a little so it's not right over the pedals? How about if you pedal with your heel (slowly) instead of the toe? And also having the foot extended . . . I know all the tricks from when I was desperate to make a pedal revolution. :heehee:. Glad you had good food as a reward for all of that stair climbing
 
@kmak81230 ~ isn't that interesting that yours set off the metal detector and mine didn't too much. i sure hope the detector was working properly at our dome. haven't been to airport yet, but maybe they'll send me through a shorter line to walk through that full body scanner. i just read the info from pearson airport tips to get through security with implants ~ one of the things they said was to bring a document. will look further into that for future use.
 
Good idea about the implant document . . . I will look into it. I usually get the Pre-Check so have become accustomed to not having to take shoes off, etc . . . but with the implant I had to do it all . scan, pat down, shoes off, laptop out of bag, etc.
 
i just read the info from pearson airport tips to get through security with implants ~ one of the things they said was to bring a document. will look further into that for future use.

Good idea about the implant document . . . I will look into it.
I've travelled a lot with my two artificial knees. I can tell you that having a document makes no difference at all - and neither should it. Documents are all too easy to forge and Security would be remiss if they failed to check you, just because you had a document.

I always plan to arrive early at an airport, expecting to be patted down and wanded. Most times, I ring the bell when going through the screening archway, but occasionally they have the sensitivity set lower, and I don't. When possible, I ask to go through the X-Ray machine instead - but they still pat me down afterwards.
 
@Celle ~ ahhh so it's likely a waste of time and money then to get a document. they sometimes do pat me down even with no implants; not that i have any trip planned any time soon ~ wish i did and i wouldn't mind the pat down at all lol!
 
i've been waiting for this day a long time. finally, 7 months and 1 week post op, today I PEDALLED A FULL ROTATION ON MY BIKE.:reindeerlights:there's nothing much more to say ~ my new knee is brilliant ~ walked over 4 hours on friday at the One of a Kind Show (huge venue of artisans), and walked around the field at the pack walk for over an hour and no pain whatsoever. i do still feel stiffness after a long drive and standing up from sitting. it's taken longer than most to pedal my bike, but i'm happy. my 2 goals were to be able to walk my dog and ride my bike and finally they have been accomplished.

hope everyone is improving following the Bone Smart way. i still have a ways to go but confident i will get where i need to be.
 
Awesome, awesome awesome!!!!!!:santaclap:

So happy for you!!!
 
Yay you! I know how long you’ve been trying, and hoping, and trying harder and more for this day. Now you can walk Liam, by himself, AND ride your bike, if not today then certainly soon. And walking around a big artists’ show sounds like a perfect autumn activity. How wonderful you can do these things again! :yay::yay::happydance::yes!:
 
Yahooooey! So happy for you Liam! Take it slow and by the time springtime comes you'll be ready to take that bike for a spin outside . . :roseshwr::cheers:
 
thanks ~ i'm tempted to take it outside soon before the snow comes but i'll have to lower the seat a little.
 
@Polkadot ~ i really want to but right now the seat is set very high, too high for riding outside. i tried putting the seat down and i could still pedal which was great, but it was a bit of a struggle and i didn't want to hurt myself. i'll keep practising at this height for a week or so, then put it down and practise at that height. i just looked at the weather station and today's temperature is unbelievable 17C/62.6F, and sunny. i was hot walking the dog. it would be a perfect day to bike ride.
 
I'm soon coming up to 8 months post-op and i have noticed improvements in the last 2 weeks. 2 weeks ago i was able to do a full rotation on my bicycle (on a trainer), yesterday hubby put the seat down a notch and some resistance and i could do that fairly easily. Today, going up and down the stairs alternate feet was much easier than just a few days before and i felt more comfortable, especially going down the stairs, without holding on to the handrails. The tightness behind the knee has become less and less; perhaps that means the swelling is subsiding, although i still have a couple of "spongy" pockets on my knee. I would like to go back to physio to have Melissa massage and do the treatments that felt so good: laser, "tens machine", acupuncture while resting for 20 minutes with ice packs on top and below, in the hopes it will help with the remaining swelling.

I hope this helps others in earlier recovery to hang in there, be patient and be kind to yourself and your knees; things will improve and no need to push through pain. I felt "stuck" at a low r.o.m. for a few months so i know the frustration you feel.:tree2;
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom