TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

I can understand, I love the beach on cloudy days. I went to st Thomas for my honeymoon, two hours sitting under a tree in the shade and the rest of the week was do not touch me!
 
@skigirl, thanks so much for your vote of confidence! You didn't know, but I've followed your thread and took great inspiration from it. :SUNsmile: I suspect you're a much better skiier than I, (I'm a solid intermediate with an occasional Black Diamond) and I haven't skiied in roughly 5 years, since just before I had a THR. So, I'm a bit *rusty*; hah! Still....the urge is there and we will be moving to ski country this year!

Right now, I'm working on rehabbing the THR that just never came up to snuff and I'm making decent progress, but it's still a WIP; weak glutes and funky adductor. So, for this year, and for 2018, if I can just spend a morning on a Green Trail I'll be a "Happy Camper," in 2018! I'd also like to break out the X-Country skis as well......it appeals to my retirement wallet.:wink:
 
It is always rewarding to hear that I have been a help to anyone, so thank you for that. One of the advantages of age is that we are able to enjoy where we are in life. I agree, a beautiful green trail is a great start to a skiing life!! I also do cross country as a way of building up my legs, so I think that is great too. Where are you moving?

My husbanded died in June, so I am in the process of selling my Montana home and buying a house for me in Minneapolis. Specifically in St. Louis Park, MN. I wanted to be closer to children and grandchildren. It has been much harder than I anticipated, I don't think I could have done this if I were much older.

While It has been liberating to get rid,of junk, I am sad to leave the beauty and mountains of Montana. It is hard, but that sweet face of a three year old and double grins from one yea old twins has made me happy. I have applied to work at Afton alps in Hastings , MN and anticipate having fun skiing these hills!

Also,don't forget to take a lesson or two when you are comfortable skiing again, it has helped my skiing a lot!! As instructors we take a weekly lesson.
 
Wow, I've missed a lot with one weekend away! I used to love X-C skiing, but I'd also have to get new equipment. My skis are super-long, which were hard to control when I tried them a few years ago after not doing it for a long time; they are the must-wax, high-maintenance type; plus, the shoes don't fit right any more, I'm sure.
Snow-shoeing would be great exercise, but I found it difficult and sweaty when I tried it, also a few years ago before my knee problems. Skating was never my strong suit, so that isn't in the cards for me. Going somewhere warm for warm-water activities sounds divine! Should we plan a BS reunion? Is there an island that hasn't been decimated?
 
@Pheebs52, I was hit in the face by a basketball when a gym teacher threw it with all his strength from the other side of the gym so can relate to your whiffle-ball phobia.:shocked:

@Canada35, there is no shame in needing a lawn chair! I bet lots of people there wished they had one, too. This isn't knee-related, but sometimes when a restaurant is too cold, I've stooped to getting a "throw" from the car to put around my shoulders or over my legs. (Ageing has its benefits. I read somewhere that after a certain age, women become basically invisible. So no one seems to do a double-take when I walk in with my "blankie.") Besides, Life is too short to be uncomfortable when you don't have to be. (Does anyone really miss ultra-high heels?)

@liam2015, a very belated congratulations on the bigly amount of stairs you navigated successfully. I'm a bit jealous! Way to go! :roseshwr::wowspring::happydance:
 
Hahaha, yes indeed, there ARE advantages to being....*vintage* and so-called *invisibility* is high among them @Polkadot!

@skigirl, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. Though it must be very difficult to leave your beloved Montana, it does sound as though your new location will bring you many smiles and lots of love. I'm glad you'll be able to continue skiing there as well! I will definitely take some lessons, after all, form is everything, eh? Right now, I'm trying very hard to just perfect my form on stairs, lol.

We'll be moving to The White Mountain region of New Hampshire and will be checking out some property in two weeks time. We're both rather excited about it and we also have family in that area, (and they all ski, hah) so it'll great to be in closer proximity.
 
@liam2015 the beach sounds good :-) Cross country skiing does not sound like fun. I used to enjoy it sometimes. I remember one of the first times I tried it I fell forward down a hill and the skis were up the hill behind me... not fun. The beach sounds a lot better.. Sounds like you are doing great.
 
I fell when I had on new skinnier skis and I just fell face first into the snow. My skies were crossed behind me and I could not get up. I thought oh well spring will be here before I die of frost bite
 
I learned to ski Alpine before X-Country. The first time I put on X-Country skis, I fell every ten feet, lol! But, I was a glutton for punishment and went back again the next day and the next; hah!
 
Went to the Blue Jay game vs Yankees today, Jose Bautista's last home game with the Jays. Climbed 50 plus steps alternate feet without holding onto handrail. My knee got quite stiff from sitting even though i got up and down ~ we were in a private box for the firm's annual family picnic, this year at the ball game rather than Toronto Island as it was flooded part of this summer. Had a great time, iced and elevated back home and fine now. Hope everyone had a good weekend. Here's a couple of pics, with hubby and granddaughter:

[Bonesmart.org] liam2015:  1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!
[Bonesmart.org] liam2015:  1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!
 
Did they have good food at the ballpark? We took our grandson to a game in Denver last month - it was a great time and the knee cooperated.
 
Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing! And all those stairs....congratulations! We were originally supposed to go to Detroit Sunday for the Tigers vs Twins game but changed our minds and just went to Buffalo instead. I heard the fans were really good to Bautista!
 
Woo Hoo! You're a step queen!! Great photos, too. Here's a connection for you: our local baseball team is a farm team for your Blue Jays. My friend houses 1-3 ball players who want or need a family experience every season, and she runs an English language class 3X/week for players who need it. Her employer? The Toronto Blue Jays.
 
What a great picture. Kudos on doing those steps. Looks like you had a perfect day at the ballpark!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom