Guest viewing is limited

TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

Badminton is much more popular in Canada than here. I went to the 96 Olympics (to watch :snork:) and had tickets for badminton. It was very exciting and we sat next to the parents of one of the Canadian badminton players.
 
I would love to skate again. I actually skated last winter for our family day get together in February, when my knee was quite sore. I foolishly bought hockey skates thinking they would be the same as figure skates, which I always used, but that wasn't the case. They were completely different. I did skate, but I stayed close to the boards just in case. (a mouse got into my figure skates left in our garage and I had to throw them out).

I don't know about cross country skiing ~ i think I'm going to feel too cautious because there is a lot of knee bending. If I don't do either one of those sports, I'm fine with that. I'd actually like to try snow shoeing. what about you ~ do you have any inclination to try those kind of sports? (I was never good in them, it was just fun family outings.) nowadays is would rather do things with my dog lol.:doggie:
 
Last edited:
A few days away and I have missed all the meetings of my "slow benders" club! I agree with everything that has been said about doing activities that we enjoy and testing our knees slowly to see what they can endure at this point in the recovery. If we make a short stop in the ODIC so be it as long as we are not endangering our bionics. If it hurts, cut back or stop doing it and try again in a few weeks.
I can't quite picture me playing pickle ball just yet as I find my right TKR foot tends to drag somewhat especially if I am tired or have done a lot of standing and walking. Of course it's not that I ever pictured myself playing pickle ball at any time LOL! It is very popular with the folks who winter in Florida though! Anything that gets people off their duffs is a good thing right? I am sure many of them have had TKRs.
I am trying to push my limitations a bit as well but drew the line yesterday. We were at a hockey FanFest - lots of activities for the kids and a BBQ. No place to sit other than on the grass or on a curb. Just couldn't do it! DH had to get a lawn chair out of the truck for me so I still have some work to do!
 
While living in Wisconsin, and of course before knee replacement, I did some cross-country skiing. I can see doing it again after TKR. It's strenuous, though, so maybe better after several months of healing, not in the first six. But that's just me: super-cautious. My ankles betrayed me in ice skates, and that sport is not on my radar post-TKR. Always wished I could do it, though! The little I did on local small lakes and frozen lagoons was fun.
 
@liam2015, I'd love to ski again, any type would be fine by me. Both x-country and Alpine have their particular charms, eh? I skated as a kid, but haven't put skates on in over 50 years, so that won't be on my bucket list, lol. I've tried snowshoeing quite a few times and found it very hard on my back; pfft! Bottom line: Winter is LONG if we don't do something enjoyable outdoors!
 
[QUOTE="Pheebs52, post: Bottom line: Winter is LONG if we don't do something enjoyable outdoors!

It sure is! Even though I was raised in the far north of Ontario, I dislike the snow and cold lasting more than a month. And the cold has always bothered my knees. I expect this winter Nellie won't like the snow and cold either. The thing I love about retirement is the ability to spend more than my vacation "2 weeks" somewhere sunnier and warmer than here during the cold season. I plan on keeping Nellie happy in Florida with walking, water exercise in the pool and hot tub. Sometime after our return I will be facing lefties TKR so I want to be sure Nellie is as strong and happy as she can be!
 
Perhaps you will need to splurge @liam2015 and get another pair of figure skates. I never have quite gotten totally accustomed to hockey skates after growing up on figure skates so am not very natural at skating in hockey like I was on figure skates. One of my friends who had TKR said that her surgeon said she could not cross-country ski because of the potential for knee injury with a fall due to the length of the skis -- I had not heard this before so will be asking my surgeon about it. Have any of you heard this? You are right @Pheebs52, with long cold winters it is good to have a few cold weather activities to do (besides snow shoveling).
 
Hmm, I will ask my OS about the X-Country ski length business. They are considerably longer than Alpine skis, but...I can't really see why that should be problematic? Plus, the cross country boot is a *free-heel* and that makes the likelihood of breaks less. It also makes getting up after a spill much easier! I always fell more on Alpine trails and at much higher speeds....just sayin'!
 
I actually talked to Gary about skiing today and he said it was a great goal. He knows several "Knees and Hips" who have continued to ski. :yes!:
 
Yeah! Good to hear it . . . I love cross-country skiing. I trust Gary much more than second or third hand info . . .
 
maybe i'm just getting old...oh wait...i'm thinking i'd rather spend a week or 2 in the caribbean snorkelling:surfer: than taking up cross-country skiing again. i loved it at the time ~ i guess we'll see. even the skis have changed styles since i last X-country skied, would have to invest in new ones and probably new ski clothes too. yes it's been a long time.
 
LOL, @liam2015, I'd like to do both if possible! There's just nothing like a good snorkeling expedition in January or February.
 
@skigirl ~ i understand ~ i'm in the same boat but i fell in love with the caribbean within the last 10 years, first going on a girls' vacation to mexico. i can't stand the sun and heat here in summer but there's something about the beach and ocean.:surfer:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom