TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

Yippee! What a wonderful, encouraging post! To see such improvement in a couple of weeks time is remarkable! It sounds like you are doing everything right!
 
It's so good to hear you're doing well! The stairs, once they become a little easier, progress steadily as your legs get stronger. Though it can take some time to get to the goal, it's totally worth it!
 
Yea!!! So glad you're getting stronger and bending better! That you're having such great progress when it's so cold is really remarkable. And just in time for Christmas too - What a great gift!:box:Now, as for me, I just want to sit with the heating pad on my achy legs or in the spa at the gym. :bath:
 
10 month update: I think i'm doing great meeting 2 of my important goals: (1) walking my dog and (2) riding my city bike, which is now on trainers until the snow melts. I'm also now using my rowing machine. Walking is effortless, no pain or weakness. The stiffness when sitting too long, or getting up from sitting, in and out of the car has mostly subsided. Just before my trip, I had a brief flare up of sciatica which lasted for 3 or 4 days, which resolved after doing the McKenzie Method exercises, recommended to me by my husband who had back problems in the past and used these and overall fitness to recover.

I recently returned from a 10 day girls' vacation to Negril, Jamaica where we had massages, walked on the beach, swam in the sea, the pool, the hot tub, pedal boated in the ocean (a good workout), stayed up late every night listening to the entertainment, first sitting around the piano singing along with a very talented musician from 7 to 9, then headed over to another area to listen to a reggae band from 9 to 10:30. The singer got me up dancing and i remembered my reggae steps from salsa dancing lessons and no problems dancing and keeping the beat. We had to climb up around 14 steps to get into our "treehouse" accommodation. What a beautiful, calm vibe in Jamaica and every single worker at the resort and at the airport was friendly, helpful and welcoming. (As a tourist, one would never guess there was a "State of Emergency" while we were there and a travel advisory from Canada.)

I had no problems at the airport, a little over 4 hours flight, then a 2 hour bus ride and i was no more stiff than anyone else would be that didn't have a knee replacement...same on the way home, this time in very cramped seats with very little leg room.

I did very little exercising (other than normal walking and activities of daily life) leading up until now, didn't start p.t. until 6 weeks post op (to the chagrin of my surgeon), and only had treatments done at p.t. (massage, laser, tens, acupuncture, with cold packs above and below); exercises were recommended to do at home, only a few which i did sporadically. I really did take the scenic route to recovery, only being able to pedal a full rotation on my bike at 7 months and 1 week post op. It was a little frustrating for me wondering when i would get enough flexion to ride my bike, knowing i had to be patient and wait for the swelling to go down.

I don't know what my flexion is at the moment; however, it is not the greatest compared to those with 120 + degrees, but it's enough to do anything i need or want to do, and without pain. I don't know what would have happened to me had i not found Bone Smart that gave me the confidence to rebel against the traditions of aggressive physical therapy. I even had to debate this with my very sweet, young surgeon and i possibly changed his mind; otherwise, i might have done what he ordered and suffered for it. I am grateful to my surgeon for doing a perfect job replacing my knee and listening to my quiet protests.

Thanks for all the support i received through this journey, which isn't over yet. Here i am on Bloody Bay Beach, Negril.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] liam2015:  1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!
    IMG_4735.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
What a lovely update! And beautiful picture!

And I love your “quiet protests” to your surgeon. You calmly stood your ground and accomplished your healing goals.
 
Wow! At 10 months, you have had a fantastic recovery and are doing all those things you want to do. That is the goal for all of us!
 
These type of posts are one of the many reasons why I continue visiting he BoneSmart website. Full of encouragement and realization the stage that I'm in at 6 months post-LTKR is normal even though my patience level is saying I should be much further ahead. I know the healing takes a long time, but time seemed to stop at the 6 month mark and is dragging on much longer than the healing and recovery time during the first 4 months.

I'm glad to hear there is an end in sight...
 
^haha thank you. it was embarrassing as i was just sitting there minding my own business. he even had me sing into the microphone the chorus of bob marleys "one love" (let's get together and feel alright) and after brought me to the middle and asked everyone to applaud. it felt great dancing ~ wish hubby was with me, but he doesn't dance!:egypdance:
 
Love that picture of you enjoying life with a fruity drink on the beach! :roseshwr: It is wonderful to live again without that horrible pre-op pain. To walk without pain, to dance, to just live and be ourselves. It’s so very human. You look so happy!

Of course, when we first come out of surgery, it’s really hard to imagine getting to this place!
 
Today is my one year anniversary of my knee replacement. I don't have anything much to add since my 10 month report. I am very happy with the results of the surgery where i can do everything i could do before the arthritis set in and no pain. It's been very challenging the last week with the inclement weather we've had: freezing rain/sleet/snow and repeat. I had to walk the dog over this bumpy, slushy, crusty ice and snow ~ very carefully, but i did it, not to mention going up and down our hilly backyard on the crusty ice/snow to clean up after the dog. (i love my rain boots: Kamik.)

I still get stiff after sitting too long or driving and i sometimes have some mild aches in the ligaments on the outside of my left knee, but nothing that requires medication or limitations. The stiffness could be more due to my age than any connection to my knee replacement. I don't know what my r.o.m. is but my flexion is not a good as my natural knee; hoping it continues to improve.

I should mention that my natural knee is back to being "good". For several weeks my natural knee was actually weaker than my new knee from all the compensating it had been doing. My thigh on the unoperated side was so weak that i was using my new knee/leg to climb up any step. I was worried that i would need a replacement of that knee. Once i started using my new knee consistently, walking up and down the stairs alternate feet, my natural knee/leg/thigh returned to it's former state.

I wish everyone a good recovery, be good and patient with yourself and have a wonderful spring and summer. Remember that everyone heals differently and it's no use comparing yourself to others that may have a faster recovery. Thank you to Bone Smart, the administrators, forum advisors, and members for the helpful and comforting support.:dogwalk:
 
Liam2015,
Your title has been updated as requested.
Glad to hear you continue to do well, enjoy having your life back.
 
I changed the title to be exactly as your requested. Congratulations on your recovery!!
 
Happy Kneeversary @liam2015!!! I'm so happy for you that you are doing so well in recovery and that you did it your way!!!! I know that I will be much more relaxed about recovery for knee #2 -- knowing the stories like yours and others on here.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom