TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

thanks jennszoo and KarriB. i have not vomitted, just threw up the gel caps, nothing else came up. KarriB i think that might be the next step if i don't start to feel better, to go to my family dr. i hope i'm not stopping the oxycocet too suddenly; hopefully just 1 or 2 a day will be needed. i remember 10 years ago i could hardly wait to get off the hydromorphone.
 
You can just call your OS, tell him about your nausea and he may just call zofran in for you. There's also a scopolamine patch for nausea.
 
I also used anti-motion sickness pills that helped with my nausea a lot. Can you drink protein drink? Your body needs protein now more than ever. I existed on them for about 3 weeks. Also, a small amount of mixed nuts stayed down. They gave me protein, too.
 
thank you for the replies flyaway79 and sistersinhim. i'm starting today to take the antiemetic Gravol 100 mg tablets at least 3 or 4 times a day. i was reluctant to take it with all the other meds in my system, but since i've cut down on the oxycocet i feel i should try. Question: how long before you took away the raised toilet seat with the grab bars? i'm finding that each time i go, it causes pain in my new knee/leg area as i am using my good leg to support the other. i'm only 5' 2" so my feet don't reach the floor. thanks for tip about protein ~ i am definitely lacking that. so good to have someone to communicate with.
 
Let your knee be the guide on how long to use the assisting devices. There is no set time. I used my raised toilet set for about 3 months, just because it felt good and I'm 5'6" and would have to sit down so low. Your knee will let you know when it's the right time. There is no rush!
 
I only just now noticed I wasn't having to kick my leg out when sitting on the toilet, but I still like having the bars so I'm leaving it for now.
 
My 3-1/2 week post surgery update: 4 days ago i took the raised toilet seat off and using the regular seat now.
3 days ago i stopped all medications as i'm sure they are causing too many side effects ~ nausea, lack of appetite, constipation, then diarrhea. I've lost 13 lbs. so far. I don't know how long it takes to get the drugs out of your system but i still have nausea and lack of appetite but right now i'm enjoying a nice dinner as i haven't had much
to eat today (breakfast; celery with peanut butter and a piece of bread with butter; lunch; apple sauce; snack after nap; apple sauce; dinner so far; mashed potatoes, 3 broccoli trees and a few carrots. chicken didn't thaw so still in the oven.) I also had some liquorice this afternoon and i had a b.m. (loose but okay) ~ yay! oh, and i had a shower standing up today (after getting in the tub with the bath transfer bench).

My pain level is fairly low compared to what it was ~ still there, but manageable. Because i haven't felt up to it, i
haven't been doing the hospital bed exercises, although i've been practising lifting my leg up while in bed, which i
couldn't do before. I've been walking around the house, sat outside for 10 minutes today, even tried walking with
the cane. I'm going to continue with the walker because i feel safe ~ it also protects me from our 1-1/2 year old
Irish Setter pup, although he hasn't tried to jump up on me.

Funny enough and to my delight, i still haven't heard from physio which was supposed to come to my home. I am
not at all worried. I will call them when i'm feeling more up to it. I've been afraid to go out anywhere, i.e. my family doctor due to the diarrhea which could strike at any time, but i'm hoping that now i'm not taking the docusate
sodium and senekot, it won't be such a problem. The liquorice worked for me today. The one problem i had last night, not having any medication, was that i had a hard time sleeping.

I'm going to try to stay up later tonight. I can hardly wait to watch a new Saturday Night Live at 11:30 p.m. The
brilliant Melissa McCarthy is hosting. Hope everyone is progressing in their recovery. Thankyou BoneSmart! <3
 
Wow, no meds. I'm impressed. Im still taking tylenol, gabapentin and percoset at nighttime. But it's nice to avoid all those side effects, so congrats!
 
The heavy-duty medications do cause constipation and can cause nausea.

If you have pain, Tylenol 1000 mg (2 x 500 mg tablets) four times a day, 4-6 hours apart, to a daily total of 4,000 mg should have none of the side effects that made you so uncomfortable.
 
You're blessed to have not heard from PT! You don't have to even do it to rehab your knee. Just using it brings your knee back to where it needs to be. So many of us never took PT or did exercises. We didn't sit and do nothing either. We had our daily work to do to just take care of ourselves. That was our PT and our exercises. I've had 11 knee surgeries and never took PT and my knee is doing great! If you do decide to take it, don't let them hurt you. Do even let them touch your leg. It's your body and you need to take total control of your knee!
 
thank you celle ~ i realize that i will likely have some pain if and when i start trying to bend my knee more and it's good to know that tylenol will not give me the side effects. sistersinhim ~ that is very encouraging to know and i hope i can stand up to any pressure. when i was at my 10 day surgeon follow-up, i heard a lady screaming and the nurse told me she was one that wasn't doing well with her physio. i hope it wasn't my dr. that did something to her! jennszoo, you have many more responsibilities than i do. i think you're doing amazing. thanks for your support.
 
The OS that removed my first kneecap had me in an immobilizer for 6 weeks. We I went to him at my 6 week checkup, he removed it and then grabbed my leg, attempting to bend my knee way back and I passed out! He never touched me again! Oh, and I quickly found a new doctor! I worked on bending my knee in a hot bath and moving my foot a little more each day. I got there just fine, and I did it without all that pain! Just listen to your knee. If it hurts, then your knee isn't ready for what you are doing. The more you force it, the worse it reacts and then slows down its recovery.
 
Please delete if you think this is t.m.i. I've noticed that at least 2 people on this forum were diagnosed with u.t.i.'s after knee replacement. I have never had one so i don't know what to look for. I have had an odour since coming home and also when i urinate i have to push for it to start, but that could partly be due to discomfort sitting on toilet with leg stretched out. It will be 4 weeks post op this Wednesday. One week ago i stopped all meds due to nausea, lack of appetite and not being able to eat much (lost 13 lbs. so far), constipation, then when started on senekot and already was on docusate sodium, had terrible gas pains and lots of diarrhea. I'm still feeling nauseous, but i'm able to eat an okay lunch (pasta with 2 tbsp. tomato sauce) and a good dinner (salmon, mashed potatoes, broccoli and carrots), apple sauce for a snack. I can only drink water and ginger ale, not even tea, my favourite. Hubby bought me liquorice and that has helped with the constipation.

As for my knee, the pain level is low enough and no pain when i'm walking. I practise walking with no device and with a cane but because i feel so weak i often use the walker, which i carry my blanket on and sometimes i walk holding it up in the air. I don't think my r.o.m. has improved much but my nausea is my main problem right now. Anti-emetics didn't help at all. I realize that i must make an appointment with my family doctor to diagnose this odour and the nausea. I just haven't felt up to going out. Hubby is going to the U.K. this Wednesday so i don't want to ask him to do anything more. He has been doing everything ~ went back to work full-time at 3rd week, coming home at lunch, looking after the dog and taking dog to work, picking up granddaughter from school, cooking and serving my meals, shopping, changing my ice packs, etc. My son is taking 3 days off work to look after me and the dog. I don't know if i would be able to get into his mini van to go to doctor. I wonder how she will diagnose ~ i hope not an internal.

Thanks for any advice.
 
I never noticed an odor with my UTI. My system was feeling like I had to go all the time, and then it burned really badly every time I went. I didn't have nausea with mine. Antibiotics cleared it up in a few days.

I bet once the meds are out of your system your nausea will diminish. At least you are finding things to eat. Try to find some protein that you can eat. Your body really needs that for healing.
 
No i have never needed to take iron pills before. Prior to the surgery i was taking Vitamin D and Risedronate once a week for osteoporosis. I stopped taking them also until i see my doctor about the Risedronate. Do you think iron deficiency could be a cause?
 
No, not at all. It's just that while I was taking iron after TKR surgery I had an upset stomach often and strange bathroom odors. Once I stopped the iron supplement things settled down.
 
ahhh okay. i really think i do need to see my doctor to get bloodwork done and my vitals taken with this weakness and nausea, and the other issue. thanks for your reply ~ i probably am deficient in something.
 
Yes, you should go and see you doctor. You will probably have to provide a urine sample.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom