Guest viewing is limited

TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

Hope you had a great time at FamJam! Sounds like a great distraction! Am also curious as to how the acupuncture treatments work out for you.
 
thanks @Fire wolf ~ had a great time. the pool was heated but the air was so chilly, i stayed in the water for at least an hour. i think it helped with the swelling a little. i will let you know how the acupuncture treatments work after a few times. i sure wish i had a swimming pool ~ it felt so good. i didn't go in the hot tub though; just can't stand the thought of high heat on my knee; maybe at next year's FamJam i will try the hot tub.
 
Glad you had a great time! Heated pool sounds great, and I too wish I had a pool, although I can't swim, so..... hmmmm. Anyway, enjoy a day of post party rest!
 
Sounds like a perfect party! Glad you found the pool relaxing! Heat and new knees are not friends. Stick to your ice! I tried heating the quads and that was not successful either. Definitely an ice based recovery! I cannot imagine doing this in winter! Brrrrrrr!
 
thanks for asking @Fire wolf. it went fine, x-rayed my knee while on my back, on my side, and on my tummy with knee bent. had a long wait but no problem. quite sure i wasn't supposed to see surgeon because at the time i made the appointment, receptionist gave me a choice of times, morning or afternoon which wouldn't have coordinated with surgeon's. :thankyou:
 
The needles acupuncturists use are very tiny. Most times you do not even feel anything. Occasionally you might feel a very slight sting but I would not classify it in anyway as painful. Nothing like an injection we are used to.

I used to see a third generation Chinese acupuncturist in China. He had studied western medicine in China and had a medical degree but choose instead to practice Chinese medicine because there were so many more benefits. It was very interesting to learn about the theory behind acupuncture from him.

I really miss him and wish I could find someone here like him. Plus is was very inexpensive to have it done there.
 
@flyaway79 ~ i've just had the one acupuncture session and look forward to going back for more. couldn't go back last week and probably not this week because i'm looking after our granddaughter and hubby has been busy at work, although he took time off today. next week granddaughter goes on vacation for 10 days so i'll be able to get back to physio where i had the acupuncture done. i like that melissa is trying different therapies to help get the swelling down.

did you have acupuncture to help with swelling from knee replacement and did you find it worked. that's very interesting about your experience in china with the acupuncturist..
 
No I had it several years ago for tendinitis in my hand and arm. He also did some on my back. It doesn't just work one time, it's a cumulative effect. The more regularly you can go the better. I found it really helped especially on my arm.

I'm going to be returning to China soon when I return to work but going to a different city. I hope to find someone there that can try it on my knee and see if that helps with the internal swelling I still have.

I would love to know if it works for you!
 
Glad to hear you only had X-Rays today @Liam and all went well; phew! I'll also be interested to see if you find acupuncture beneficial. I haven't tried it for my knee, but I might consider it down the road. I have tried it with varying success in the past, and it seemed dependent on the practitioner. Like @flyaway79, I had a Chinese M.D. for awhile and he gave me excellent results with shoulder bursitis in just 3 visits. He, unfortunately, moved out of my area and I've tried some others who were unable to help with other, assorted problems.
 
is anyone else having a problem getting onto the site? it appears i am logged in as i see my name at the top but i can't get to the "normal threads". perhaps the site is still being maintained?

p.s. i can only get onto my thread.
 
There are still a few technical glitches since the site update, but they are being fixed. It may take another 24 hours. Please try to be patient - I know it's hard - our technical team is working flat out.
 
Me, too, Liam! That would be a good little research study on personality types. Who thought it was 'them,' vs who just shrugged their shoulders and decided to wait another day or two?
 
so nice to be back -- I missed everyone! I thought it was perhaps my old computer and operating system.
 
@liam2015, I'm so proud of Prince Liam being such a good houseguest! Good doggie! I know I've had some human houseguests that haven't behaved as well, lol..

Not surprised your were uncomfortable with such a long drive, so much sitting and on uncomfortable chairs to boot; pffft! Still, you enjoyed seeing your friends and....you did it! I call that a win, despite some discomfort.:-)

I have not as yet attempted a long road trip, but the incentive is there for me on all sorts of levels. No idea how I'd fare, but I certainly do know what to bring for comfort. One of the best medical tips I received here was switching the 650 mg, 8 hour Tylenol for two, 500 mg, 4-6 hour tabs instead. I find those few extra mags make a huge difference in comfort level. Right now, I can't conceive of being "Tylenol-Free," but hopefully, that day will come. I ask wonder when people are finally able travel without ice-packs ? Maybe at our age they should just become a routine packing item, like clean underwear, eh?

Your progression might seem slow to some, but to me, being on a similar, scenic, recovery route, it sounds great! It's not as if we're going to gain 5-10 degrees flexion a week, but those small increments really do add up. :-) In the end, all progress is positive!

FWIW, I am still very careful, deliberate and slow on the stairs, both up and down. Some days I do better on them than others, landing with a flatter foot. Other days, it's more awkward and uncomfortable, and if so, I will revert to backwards descent. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it, so I chalk it up to internal swelling. *Whatever*, it's not as if we get a reward for best stair descent ever, eh?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hahaha, I see I was responding to a very old post of yours! Hilarious! Just ignore me and call me a space cadet.:-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had to use backwards stair walking yesterday - even upstairs walking was a bit stretchy for me. Glad to have that backwards trick handy for those days when the swelling comes back.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom