Guest viewing is limited

TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

I was just doing some butt, er glute exercises. non op foot on furniture slider. slide it backward while holding 5# weight and bending op leg. Then drive up to standing position using glutes Do not try this at home! And then the ever popular band around knees, side walking in slight squat while pulling resistance band that is hooked to door. Once again, do not try this at home! Yes @Pheebs I expect you are at 100 or so if you are pedaling - soon to pass me by . . . I also have not measured in awhile - maybe 110 at the most - I'm waiting for the stars to align, or the moon to fall in the shadow of the sun - oops that was yesterday - before I get out my goniometer for a little peek.
 
Oh, noooo, the dreaded "Crab-Walking!" *Shudder* As far as I'm concerned, that's right up there with prone Heel-Slides. Just. Dreadful. And I know you're not doing these at home....don't I? Yes, of course, I do!

Fear not as to my surpassing you in Flexion. Truly, breathe easily. It'll probably take me the next 6 months to reach 110. I am the quintessential, SlowHealer, branded many long years ago.
 
I am so dense - I had this long drawn out explanation on my spreadsheet and I could have just written "crab walk "- there's probably a short animal name for all of my home exercises - or maybe I can just make one up. :chuckmarch::froggies::happyfeet::spider:
 
I wish I could adequately describe the insane balance thing I had to do! Picture a central block with 3 pvc pipes stemming from it and reaching outwards at roughly 3 equal angles from center block. 1 foot stands on center block. All pvc pipes have a block to slide, and of course there are measurements marked on pvc pipes. So with other foot, need to slide out slider blocks along pipes in 3 different directions, maintaining balance and having control to bring that foot back to the start at middle block.
 
@Kamk81230, let's see....Crab walk, Plank walk, Bunny Hops, Leap Frogs, Clam Shells....hmmm, anything else? Ah yes, the always dreaded Clam Shells for anyone who's ever had a THR!
 
@Pheebs52 I have no idea what my actual flexion number is as I haven't been measured since 8 weeks post op. At that time I was 95 on my own and 102 if pushed. I have not gained a ton more flexion. Based on the chair slides then and now I would guesstimate I am at about 105. I have finally got my extension to 0. I can functionally do most things I need to except I still cannot go downstairs foot over foot without some pain and getting in or out of the backseat of the car is still challenging. Once I am in I am fine. I can pedal my upright exercise bike ( seat high- no resistance) and my gait is improving. I haven't been to PT in a couple of weeks but I am going for a DT massage tomorrow. I am at 15 weeks today. Most days I only take 2 extra strength Tylenol at night ( or a Tylenol PM) but if I have an active day like my shopping day in Buffalo then I take 2 ES Tylenol throughout the day.
Most days I am content but some days I am still very frustrated with what I can or cannot do but mostly with my stamina to sustain any prolonged activity.
 
Sorry @liam2015 - I just realized I posted the previous message on your thread. Didn't mean to derail your thread. Should have posted it on my own thread.
 
I wish I could adequately describe the insane balance thing I had to do! Picture a central block with 3 pvc pipes stemming from it and reaching outwards at roughly 3 equal angles from center block. 1 foot stands on center block. All pvc pipes have a block to slide, and of course there are measurements marked on pvc pipes. So with other foot, need to slide out slider blocks along pipes in 3 different directions, maintaining balance and having control to bring that foot back to the start at middle block.
What is that, the ninja inebriation test?
 
@Canada35 no worries ~ i like to hear the answers to questions that i would otherwise miss if i didn't get around to reading everyone's page. i happen to think you are doing just fine, especially since you can pedal your bike, which i cannot...sigh! i also have difficulty going down the stairs alternate feet but whenever i see shallower steps i go for it and it doesn't hurt at all...it's the regular steps that are a problem. i'm sure the stamina will come back to all of us in time. this morning i had a burst of energy and did lots of housework in preparation for cleaning ladies lol...and my granddaughter helped them today. we're driving them to the airport today at 5:00 for their vacation in france. is it bad that i'm looking forward to their trip lol?? and then school starting in september?!!:egypdance:
 
Hahaha, no, it's certainly not "bad" that you are looking forward to some valuable time alone !

Re: cycling. Can you pedal backwards? Are you trying the bike each day and just pushing the leg a teensy bit further? I'm hopeful that one fine day your leg will just suddenly move over the top as mine did!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
hi Pheebs52. ahhhhh chloe's dad just picked her up and liam is in his crate ~ freedom lol! i am so bad.:whistle: i do try my bike every so often and before i even get on i know i won't be able to pedal backwards so i'm not too motivated. i can tell just by the degree my knee can bend. it's a long way off i'm afraid. i really don't think it will be a surprise when it happens ~ i will know before i get on the bike. i'm really enjoying going down the stairs backwards though. going to do a lot of icing and elevating during the day now that i have a chance and we'll see if that helps. other than that, i have no problem walking, going up and down hills, even slippery slopes but i wear my wellies and hang on to the trees on the way down.:walking: the weather here today is glorious, wearing long sleeves and long pants and a beautiful mild breeze; cooling off the rest of the week.:SUNsmile:
 
You are not bad - you are an amazing grandma who let granddaughter play around (with) your scar and who spent loads of time with her:yes: . . and who has a tired new knee that needs a little "up" time. Keep rocking back and forth on the days when your knee feels less swollen and one of these days you will be so close to the top you will just allow yourself to go all the way around. I still have trouble on some days with the downstairs walking. I'll bet now that you have a few days to really rest you will get rid of some swelling.
 
Definitely keep rocking back and forth, and keep going up and down the stairs. Even though I could "do" them weeks ago, they were awkward. Especially going up the stairs. Going down has always been easier for me, even though everyone says that usually comes later. Anyway, going up was possible (the knees performed the action without pain) but a bit of a struggle.

I kept doing it, though. That was the way to build up muscle strength. That was, and still is to a lesser degree, the problem. Lefty, especially, was weak. Righty was better but I felt the weakness there, too. So every day, up and down the stairs, foot over foot, building those muscles. And this week I can finally tell the difference. I'm not traipsing up and down the stairs just yet, but it's becoming easier. Finally. Easier. It sneaks up on you, but only if you keep plugging away at it.
 
side walking in slight squat while pulling resistance band that is hooked to door. Once again, do not try this at home!
That exercise isn't necessary and it's bad for new knees. Please stop doing it. In any case, you're far enough along for the activities of daily living to be your PT.
 
thanks @SusieShoes ~ i'm incorporating walking up and down the stairs as a major part of my exercise recovery routine, mostly because it's useful and also necessary. if i'm in a hurry (which i should never be at this point) i find i don't use good form, so i'm trying to keep proper form going up, and very very slowly and deliberately; same with going down when i go down front ways. i'm finding going down backwards feels good with just the right amount of bend that it doesn't hurt and i keep my legs/knee in proper form. the other exercises, such as heel slides, are just little too exercisey (boring) for me so i only do a few of them when i think of it. i've come to realize that i don't like exercising per se, but i'd prefer to get exercise from some purposeful activity such as biking, yoga, walking and dance class. i'm also realizing that i need to get my strength back in my thighs and quads, so may have to make an exception and do those exercises when i'm ready. rocking back and forth on the bike does not appeal to me but i will do it...just because...lol! :old:
 
I'll just echo what Susie and Kmak just said Liam. A little bit each day on the stairs and bike will help. Nothing Olympian, just a bit.

Today, I am doing backwards stairs down! Yesterday, it was frontwards. Every day IS different, eh?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@liam2015 : I feel the very same way about exercising. That's why many people who know me, or I have told them this, think I am lazy.
However, when I tell them I need to walk 670 m each way to the metro or uphill 450m to a bus, then they are quiet about my "need to exercise more"
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom