TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

I'm in for wine, women & song?? at a spa! Would be fun! Love our sense of community here!
In the meantime I am doing the mundane ☹️️
Went to Costco for the first time post op. Did ok. Stuck to the aisles that had things on my list. Hubby would have liked more time to " browse" and I said I would get coffee and sit and wait but he opted to just bring me home instead. Probably better for the budget anyway!
 
Try deep water running or walking, move your knees up and down, to the extent you can or, if the time is right, increase flexion, at a pace you can do, as in this video
Enjoy!
 
Arrtie, I used to do that very thing, in my pre-TKR, pre-torn meniscus life! It's so much fun!
 
Week 13-1/2 update: i wouldn't have posted this update today because there's been no change in my r.o.m. since last time, but Melissa (my physiotherapist) used another modality today: acupuncture. She has studied traditional chinese medicine and has been practising this for 3 years. She thought that she should try different treatments since i seem to have reached a plateau and the swelling and stiffness remains about the same. Today she did massage, cupping, laser and acupuncture. So far i haven't done exercises at p.t., other than a couple times she demonstrated and had me try a few of the home exercises just to see if i was doing them correctly. I'll try the acupuncture a few more times to see if it helps with the swelling and pain.

I told Melissa i had stopped doing a few of the home exercises that were causing me pain: the extension ones and also the quad strengthening one where you stand on one leg with the other raised to the side and the opposite arm raised (reverse jumping jack i think it was called). I was doing that balance one really well, being able to hold for 15 seconds for 10 reps, but i found it was causing pain. She was happy that i had stopped due to the pain. I will continue to do the bending exercises.

My young nieces (30 somethings) have organized a FamJam Pot Luck Party Mexican-style for tomorrow, so i'll be looking for a mexican vegan recipe for my vegan niece. I picked up some mangos, avocados, cilantro, limes taco shells, variety of beans and tajin seasoning. I will be swimming in my niece's pool for the first time since surgery ~ looking forward to it. For the rest of this long weekend, i want to do next to nothing so i can elevate on my lounge doctor with ice ~ haven't been able to do it for a few weeks during the day being busy with granddaughter and dog. Have a safe and good weekend everyone.
 
@liam2015, have a blast tomorrow in your niece's pool! Just remember, water is deceiving. Everything feels easy in water, but it also packs resistance.
 
Sounds like a fun weekend @liam2015. I have great cilantro right now in my garden - too bad you are so far away. I'm glad you have a PT who is willing to try new things to help you as well as does not want you to have pain. It's such a balance between pushing yourself a bit and causing pain which then sets off a cascade of ill effects. Thanks for the update -- enjoy Dr. Lounge!
 
@liam2015 - wow that's pretty cool she does acupuncture. You'll have to tell us if it helps you. I've often wondered about it during this journey.
 
yes @Mister i will let you know after a few more treatments. melissa told me of a lady who had a very swollen ankle, didn't know how and she had tried different things including massage but nothing worked so melissa tried acupuncture and the lady came back a couple days later and said it felt like a balloon had burst. she had 2 more treatments and was good to go. melissa said it doesn't always work. it didn't hurt at all, just a couple i could feel when she put in, just a pin prick. i should have asked her to take a photo.
 
That's really amazing! A picture would be great. Then we can all visualize each other with needles in our knees, what a sight that would be!:heehee:
 
I have had acupuncture for different issues when I have been in China from a 3rd generation Chinese acupuncturist. It never hurt because the needles are so tiny. The philosophy of it is very interesting and they say when you can feel the needle going in that can mean it has hit a "blocked" channel which is good.

It doesn't usually work after just one time, its a cumulative effect. Hope it helps you!
 
thank you @flyaway79 ~ that's interesting. one needle did hurt a little (pinprick) going in ~ perhaps that was a blocked channel. i'm going to try to go twice next week and the week after.
 
If only I were not so needle shy I might give acupuncture a try. I do use acupressure though.
It helped me when after 4 nights on my back after knee op, the isciatic nerve acted up. Found THE spot and after a few tries, the bad pain from hip to ankle was gone.
 
that's good @VW54 that you could find a therapy that works for you. the needles are very tiny and i didn't even see them until i sat up to have a look lol! i think she only used 5 and they were orange, at least on top.
 
Been seeing a classical acupuncturist for 17 years for a variety of reasons. She's been coming to the house to treat me several times since surgery , and it has been tremendously helpful, not a fan of needles, but these are different. I had my best dat ever after her treatment earlier this week. I highly recommend it for just about anything.. I also get reiki which helps,a,lot as well


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
thank you so much @Ruby9297 ~ good to know. on my way to FamJam Mexican theme pot luck party. just made 2 mexican dishes this morning ~ haha i need a nap now but have to leave soon. hopefully the weather clears up so i can take advantage of swimming pool. has been hot humid and raining on and off for days ~ now today it is chilly and just had a rainfall. hope you're having a good weekend.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom