TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

I guess we just need to look at the wonderful (?) recovery graphic on a regular basis; the zig-zag journey that needs no words at all; hah! And it is zig-zag, with many switchbacks, especially as we begin to improve and take on more activities and perceived obligations.

When I first decided on having the TKR, DH pretty much knew what he was in for because we'd been on a similar route with my THR. However, that was 5 years ago, memory dims some of the worst aspects, and "A knee is not a hip." So, I took it upon myself to stress the year-long nature of full recovery and he grasped that from the get-go. I was lucky...him, well...not so much. As a matter of fact, he'll be retiring at the end of this year, something we'd originally thought would take place next June, but I honestly think this TKR took the last of the *stuffing* out of him. He's tired, and rightfully so.

He's still a "Hovercraft," by nature, so just naturally steps in to do some things I can probably do myself, but many I absolutely cannot do. For instance, I can pick up Princess Pheebs when she wants to sit on my lap, but if he sees me doing that, he'll have a hissy fit, so it's a covert activity on my part.:heehee: I cannot carry a full laundry basket up or downstairs and he knows that as well. I wouldn't even try. Left up to me, it would all just remain downstairs, lol. Ditto on groceries. I can shop for them and he really does appreciate that, but lugging them up my 13 steps is impossible right now. We've needed to bring both *furs* in for Vet appointments recently, and I can't do it; wouldn't even try. Both need help getting in and out of the dogmobile and require a bit of a walk before entering those scary portals. I'm not up for dog-walking yet, so he takes care of Vet visits as well. And so it goes, on into...I dunno, perhaps 6 months but maybe 9 or 12 months.

All said, I do still feel that what I Can do greatly exceeds what I CANNOT do. As such, I'm glad I had the TKR, glad those awful first few weeks are behind me, and for the most part (not always, notta Saint) can accept the slow nature of recovery. Most of the time, I just feel like I'm on some strange sabbatical, where all I really need to do is get comfy, read, ice, elevate, take some walks, throw in the odd load of laundry, and go to PT 2x a week. Someday, this bizarre routine will end and I'll be forced back into a much more fun and mobile reality that also comes with a few less perks; hahaha!
 
Thanks for a more positive perspective on all this @Pheebs52. Another pretty good night sleep makes me feel better this morning. Woke up to rain here - we desperately need it so no complaints. The garden can wait and maybe a chance for a little more rest for me today. Being back at work I really look forward to the weekend rest time.
 
it's nice to see i'm not the only one. haha i just had an evil thought. on the one hand i'm glad hubby is starting to take the dog training seriously; he has left all the bedroom doors open so that if Liam grabs anything and brings it out we can correct him. this morning he took one of hubby's new running shoes, no problem, got it right away and closed foyer door. then he got one of my newish running shoes (only worn indoors) and brought it out. i then closed all doors while hubby was in shower and he opened them all up again telling me to keep an eye on the dog. then he went out to hit golf balls since it's such a nice day. i was thinking i should let Liam have a go at his golf clubs. ha that would teach him. oh i'm so bad. :badspidy: so far he hasn't gone after my lounge doctor. before bed i set it up under the covers. when i come to bed, Liam is sleeping, curled up next to it...so sweet and i don't have to move him over to get into bed.:puppysmooze:
 
looks like all our posts landed at the same time. thanks for all the positivity and calmness. i must be in "fight-mode":hissy: today, looking for a spousal fight lol. just kidding. we have been having the most gorgeous weather here the last few days and predicted all weekend. @kmak81230 glad you're getting some much needed rain.:SUNsmile:
 
I have been using a thunder leash with great results on my stubborn daushund Riley. Stops the jerking and pulling immediately.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@dadman35 that's good you found something that works. we all have to be cautious, even those that haven't had knee surgery, walking our dogs. it doesn't take much to get pulled off balance and injure something ~ even the little dogs can pull and jerk if they see something appealing. we're using 2 training collars for walking.:doggie:
 
Well....none of us are even at the halfway mark yet, right? :SUNsmile: Liam has only just finished her first trimester. Not everyone is hunky-dory at that point either even though it's referred to as the "Short Term Recovery," point. Recovery is not a one-size fits all trip, and we have to keep that in mind. I think these arbitrary dates are such a broad generalization and really do a disservice to many of us. They're just based on averages, and some of us, are just not *average*....we're *special.*

PT told me the other day that after the 2 week and 6 week post-op visits, most surgeons don't want to see their patients for another 6 months or even a year. Why? Because they don't want to hear the concerns and complaints they know will self-resolve over time; hah! Of course, there are always exceptions, but I get the impression they are few. :spin:
 
FWIW, I'm having a bit of an @kmak81230 morning, lol. The back of my knee is somewhat sore/painful. I haven't felt this since about Week 3, and it's not my extension, so I must've done something a bit too strenuous for the hamstring. Perhapsmy covert activity of picking up Miss Pheebs last night, lol. I'm sure some ice/heat, gentle stretching and rest will take care of it.

Liam, I am visualizing The Prince rushing about the house looking for golf-clubs and shoes and....I'm laughing! I can't help it. It brings back many funny puppy memories.:dogwalk:
 
omg "covfefe" (keeps coming up as coffee lol) ~ my belly laugh for the day. thanks @Pheebs52 . going to run, well hobble downstairs to put laundry in dryer and wonder what Liam will get into.
 
Hah, I just know Liam will find *something*!

Hobble down the stairs? Try going backwards instead; no hobbling!
 
oh ya...one of my "Keen" sandals. i didn't notice at first as he was curled up quietly on carpet and i said "what a good boy", then i noticed my sandal and said, sternly, "oh no" and took it from him. now he is laying on his back on the sofa, sleeping, his head hanging upside down and his upper lip up from gravity with his teeth showing lol. you can't stay mad at him.
 
I decided that while my knee is a bit troublesome at the present time, the rest of me isn't so I went to the gym and did a few upper body weights - the state of my arms is pitiful! Maybe the soreness from weightlifting that I'm sure to have tomorrow will take my mind off the knee :tada:Then off to the grocery store and now home with ice and the LD. :ice:I'm glad you have cute Liam to keep you entertained - despite his propensity to borrow shoes.
 
No matter what bad thing they might do, they always make me laugh @liam2015! Nemo *ate* my hearing aids about 8 years ago, yet....I still love him. 2k, right down his gullet. At 7 months old, my prior fur friends *ate* my kitchen cabinets. They were big dogs like Prince Liam. Somehow, they matured into lovely adults, lol. Crates (after the fact) saved their hides....lesson learned for us. Princess Pheebs destroyed all of her toys, but was never destructive in the house, except for unraveling rolls of toilet paper. :SUNsmile: As a child, we had a family dog who only ate my mother's shoes, lol. Mum was not a *dog-person* and Mike (the dog) clearly knew this.

@kmak81230, perhaps the upper body aches and pains will offset any and all knee stuff! It would make for a nice change, but only if it erases the knee stuff.:heehee:
 
When we have leftover coffee, we use it for "Eiskaffee" very popular hereabouts in summer.
Cold coffee, milk, vanilla ice cream and if daring whipped cream served in a tall fountain glasss (but we use beer glasses.)
Well I labelled the bottle holding the cold coffee covfefe and it made my DH giggle. Me too when he told me he never heard about the whole incident! I guess some 'news' don't make it to Austrian press.?

While waiting my turn to use recumbent bike at PT, I grabbed some 2 kg weights and exercised my arms for about 10 minites. Uff! I can feel the workout now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kmak81230 ~ that is a good idea to work the upper body. i've kind of been working it using my arms to propel myself out of a chair or up the stairs (oh-oh maybe i shouldn't be). @Pheebs52 Liam, in his short life, has destroyed 3 pairs of my eyeglasses ~ the last 2 were brand new and expensive. i'm more careful now. he has always been a grabber and counter surfer. can't keep anything on fridge with magnets, although he's getting better.

question: does anyone find that their unoperated leg/quad has been in the past and still is weaker than the previously unoperated knee/leg and now weaker than the operated knee/leg? probably for a long time my right leg was compensating for the left arthritic knee and then i noticed, even before the surgery that it had become weak and my bad leg/knee was doing all the work, climbing stairs for example. yesterday i automatically used my new knee to climb the outside cement stairs (no railing, used the brick wall for support on one side) as i was in a hurry and didn't use alternate feet as i usually do (in order to save my unoperated knee from overuse).

one of the things (among many) that contributed to my bad knee becoming that way was doing multiple, quick squats a few years ago when i joined my hubby's "Yogalates fore Golf" (yoga and pilates lol) class that he attended once a week. by the end of 6 weeks i could barely walk but eventually my legs and knees settled back down ~ i never went back. however, i never had trouble with squats when i went to yoga as our instructor walked us through very slow, deliberate squats in proper alignment and always told us to only do what we could do without pain or strain. one of my at-home physio exercises is "double knee mini squats" leaning on a wall, which i'm very careful with. are there other "easy on the knees" exercises to strengthen the quads?

@VW54 that is hilarious about labelling the leftover coffee...good one...hehe:giggle:that sounds like a tasty dessert. must try it as we always have a bit of coffee left in the carafe. i sometimes just make half coffee and half milk to use it up.
 
I have not noticed much about the strength of my nonop quad @liam2015. It was in pretty good shape prior to the surgery and certainly had to pick up the slack after the surgery. It is used to doing more so I expect it is currently weaker than it was before. I am looking forward to the 4 month milestone to see what both knees/quads can actually do.
 
So, I must admit, I've read pretty quickly through a lot of posts... but, just today I really realized that Liam is not your hubby. LOL I'm bad.

I figure I have a minimum of 2 years that I will have invested on my surgeries and recoveries... and then beyond that will just get better and better. I'm almost 7 months out of the 2 years. :)
We will all be loving our new knees when we look back on this.
@Knees4Me That was very unprofessional of your OS to give you false expectations of this major surgery and recovery (luckily, my mother had her 2nd TKR in June of 2016 and that's when I discovered Bonesmart. I began reading then and have continued, otherwise, I'm not sure what my expectations would have been). It was also downright wrong for your PT to force your knee on the bike. You will get better though.
 
@liam2015, yikes, you just reminded me how many pair of cheap reading glasses Puggie Nemo has destroyed over the years, lol. He seemed to have a penchant for metallic objects in his wayward youth. Now that he only has 6 teeth left, things are quite different; phew!

My quad strength in the natural leg has been tested by the TKR and in the prior six months of Frankenwalking, but thankfully, despite significant OA, has held up well. What I did notice one day last week was I had gone up and down the stairs too many times and the natural knee ended up feeling worse than the TKR knee/leg. But, as someone else pointed out recently, that's the desired outcome!

Do you have access to a pool? If so, you can do deep water walking and leg lifts in the pool with just your natural knee to strengthen that quad. If not, you could also do straight leg lifts with a light ankle-weight; perhaps start with a two pounder? I was going to suggest a bike, but....no, obviously not yet; pffft! Same deal on elliptical; not yet. Standing on that leg only, flamingo style , and holding for a minute, perhaps 10x to start might also help. Anything you can do while keeping your TKR isolated should be fine, just start slow and build up gradually.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom