TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

@Pumpkln ~ i was just reading on another member's page where you mentioned that some people that do develop scar tissue later in recovery due to arthrofibrosis. what would the symptoms of that be? thanks for all the information you provide on this site.
 
For all the haters of Heel Slides, and we are a very large group, you might wish to try these instead. I find it much less objectionable: Lie on your back on the bed. Put your hands behind your TKR knee and very slowly bring it toward your face. Obviously, you won't reach your face.....not in this lifetime anyway. :SUNsmile: However, once you feel a *good stretch* (no pain) keep the leg there with the hands supporting it from behind, and just let your foot drop down with the help of gravity, but....not to the point of pain.

Even my PT agrees with what @Celle has stated about ROM, but he tells me to bend the knee as much as possible to improve on stiffness. It won't make the flexion numbers change, it only creates some temporary relief from the stiff, cement-like feeling. I can vouch for the temporary aspect, so I do these at random moments throughout the day and evening.
 
Your PT and mine are from the same school of thought @Pheebs52 - of course. I have been doing that movement (I'm not going to call it an exercise) in the mornings as part of a little routine to work on my nervy left leg.
 
I've also been doing that movement as part of my morning routine. I alternate legs and give each a few good stretches. It's quite a pleasant way to wake up and get in a little ROM work.
 
Hey....wait a minute, you guyz have all been doing this and you no one told me, lol! Hilarious!

@kmak81230, I'm sure our PT's are long lost twins.:wink:

@liam2015, I like the image of hugging both knees to my chest, but not sure it's reality based? Oh well, it's still a great image!:yes!:

@nensi, I want video when you can do this and knowing you, it'll be in the next two weeks, lol!
 
@liam2015, I have not been my usual observant self the last month, we all know why - haha, but I just took a good look at your profile pic. That is Pierre Trudeau, right ?, your national good-looker? And is that you in the picture as well ? What's with the white coats ?
 
it's my daughter with the p.m. (i was a huge fan of his father, pierre back in the day). my daughter is a scientist, director of a stem cell lab and he presented them with a $50 million grant ~ closed down the building (or the floor, not sure which) and took selfies with everyone. big day for them.
 
Of course, we are all so old that we remember Pierre - he was quite a "looker" as well--- Justin is even cuter! Thanks for sharing your moment of family pride. What a great honor for your daughter and her colleagues. :wow:
 
Justin is definitely cuter, and a charmer to boot... but I was a Pierre fan back in the day, also.
 
Week 14 update: I only went to physio once this week because we have started our grandparenting duties again, since Chloe's Indian grandparents returned to India. They had been caring for her the last month and a bit. Hubby can't take as much time off work now that i'm "back". Physio was the same as usual: massage, manipulation, laser, tens machine with cold packs, turn the lights down, cover me up and put a blankie over me for around 20 minutes. One additional therapy Melissa tried was a traditional chinese therapy of "cupping". She called it "tissue distraction" and explained it to me but i can't accurately remember the details so best i don't try to explain.

My r.o.m. has not improved significantly since last time, just a couple degrees. The extension is almost there. I've been having more pain after exercising, even though I haven't been consistent. It seems to take a couple days to settle down. I still can't do a full rotation on the bike; i just rock back and forth to discomfort. I honestly don't see the point in it. I can tell right away that i won't be able to do a rotation because my bend isn't adequate. I still have moderate swelling which i think is holding me back and stiffness after sitting too long and especially from driving; maybe the cupping will help. I haven't been able to ice and elevate as i would like to during the day due to looking after Chloe and the dog, having to get up and down constantly. I will try to post a photo of today's activity. Chloe has decided to hold a surprise party for her parent's 13th anniversary, here at our house on Sunday, and inviting my sister's family as well. Last Sunday we had a party for my son's birthday. Today she was making a banner to hang up, cutting out the bubble letters and pasting them. Then hubby took her to party store to buy decorations. This afternoon swim lessons, a half hour drive there. Things are getting back to normal, wish i was too!:sigh:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] liam2015:  1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!
    IMG_7294.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 221
I cannot do a full rotation on the bike either but I do find it's helpful for stretching out my knee for physio. Hopefully you can get some additional icing and stretching in, I'm finding that it takes me awhile to get my bend working again when I've been sitting for an hour or so, like I'm back to the drawing board each time ......so much effort to keep the ROM! :cool:
 
Cupping is what Michael Phelps did before his races at the Rio Olympics - did it leave red circles on you like it did him? Perhaps you are destined for Olympic greatness - but perhaps not in cycling :heehee:. Your granddaughter is darling. Sounds like you will be on the party circuit again this weekend -- I hope you have a chance to do some resting in addition to all the festivities. I like the part of your therapy where they cover you with the blankie and turn the lights down. Thanks for the nice update @liam2015.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom