THR Let's make it a matched set!

Interesting, @gertie, that you had no time restrictions on your right hip. For me, the right hip required a six week wait, they said. This time around, with my left, I was also told, like you, that anytime I was off narcotics and felt "ready" I could try it. As I said, I may try it later this morning--oooh, the excitement mounts!

I had no time restrictions on Right Hip either, only requirement was to be off heavy narcotics.
A nurse told me I could probably drive to my first post op appt as long as I was off the Oxy.
I couldn't imagine and wanted to wait until I heard it straight from the horse's mouth at my first post op at three weeks, which I did. "You're cleared to drive". Yippee! :happydance: :driver:

The ‘when to start driving’ question is another where recommendations are widely varied. For both my left and right hips my surgeon said I must be off all opioid medications and I have to feel ready. That translated to around 2 weeks for my left hip. I expect my right will take longer. I want to be able to slam on that brake if I need to stop suddenly.

I want to be able to slam on that brake if I need to stop suddenly.
That is indeed the key. For my first outing, I just went around the block in my quiet neighborhood, with a friend in the passenger seat, and practiced/tested making a quick shift from accelerator to brake pedal. The friend was there in case I felt I couldn't manage safely. All was well but I've been careful in these first weeks to not drive when my hip is tired.

6 week recovery report

Not much new to report. I continue to slowly get back to normal activities but also am finding it hard to shake the sedentary habits I've developed through the weeks/months of a deteriorating hip and then early recovery. It's hard to find the right balance of activity and rest. As I mentioned in my week 5 report, I've had a slight uptick in achiness in the new hip after increasing walking, errand running, driving, eating out, etc. I think the main culprit has been walking around the house without a cane so I've been trying to remember the cane more--not easy since it's so liberating to be cane free.

Activities last week: med appt, grocery shopping in a medium sized store, supper out with friends, coffee with a friend, visit to a local orchard for peaches (we didn't pick them), trip to bank and pharmacy, doing my own cooking. The most significant achiness (and that was only a level 2 or 3 ouch) was after the grocery shopping so I think I'll go back to more frequent shopping trips in small markets for now.

I try to walk outside every day that it's not broiling hot or pouring rain but haven't significantly increased distance yet (I'm in awe of those who are walking miles at this stage). When I get down on myself, I remember how limited I was pre-op--I had several months of minimal activity--only doing ADLs--so regaining strength will take time.

I just made an appt for outpatient PT--same woman I saw for the other joint replacements. I found it really helpful for regaining strength, flexibility, and balance without hurting myself in the process. She's sensible and cautious and seems to really know her stuff. She's on vacation so I don't see her until the end of August, which is great timing--I'll be 8 weeks out at that point.

Note re: precautions: As with my other hip, I get mixed messages re: precautions. The OS says "I don't believe in precautions! Just use common sense." And he uses an approach (direct superior) that supposedly minimizes the need for precautions. But he's part of a larger, much more conservative practice and all the other practitioners, including the PA I saw for followup, impose 3 months of hip precautions. I have no desire to cross my legs or rotate inward but I would like to bend forward a bit more. Maybe something to talk with the Pt about.

Beautiful day here so I'll be sure to get a walk in at some point.

Last edited:
Wonderful report, @gertie. I am sure things are going slowly, and it can be discouraging as we heal but also realize how out of shape we are due to preop pain and less activity, and the understandable atrophy of lots of muscle groups. But that's great you've got a PT appointment schedule for the end of August. I bet you'll be ready to really put some serious efforts into strengthening and flexibility and if you've got a good PT person whom you trust and have worked with before, then that minimizes the anxiety lots of folks have about PT. Sounds like you're being sensible with activity levels, and while I'm sure you get tired (don't we all?!!) it doesn't sound like any setbacks and you're chugging along nicely on the recovery trail. Hurray for you, and have a great day.

Hi @gertie
Thanks for the update. Possibly it's not so much that you've become comfortable with sedentary habits, as it is the energy simply isn't there. The body will use energy first for healing, not leaving a lot for the normal activities of daily living. You seem to be pretty active and doing well for six weeks post op. Engaging and getting back to life, which is why we do choose THR.

Please don't get down on yourself, especially given your condition pre-op. My OS doesn't impose precautions either but being a little fearful of making a wrong move and dislocating, I loosely followed them anyway, figuring it couldn't hurt. You're doing well, Gertie. Keep it up.
Warm wishes!

Please don't get down on yourself,
Thanks for the boost Layla. It can be hard to read posts from folks walking 5 + miles at week 4 when I'm barely managing 1/3 mile at week 6--makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my recovery (or if I'm being lazy). But I really want to avoid overdoing so I err on side of caution--maybe too much so.

@gertie /Lynn think it's much better to err on the side of caution. I'm kind of bummed and thinking I should be do way more walking and everything in general. Still working on switching over to the cane and can feel tonight that if I'm smart I will use my walker the rest of the night. We have to take it in our own time.
:console2:

Hi @gertie :hi:
Good to hear you got reassuring report from the doctor.:)

Things being tight and achy at 6 weeks out is perfectly normal and keeping it slow is smart, in my opinion.
You are probably, as you say, already adding more activity incrementally and you will gain more and more confidence as time goes by.
I had no restrictions save the ones dictated by my own hips.
I didn't push range of motion and it can happen very naturally.
Nice easy stretches and marches can loosen you up so keep listening to your body and things will keep getting better.
Hope today is a Good Day!:flwrysmile:

I'm on a 6 week restriction, however I've been driving down to convenient store, out to employer next town over. Easier to get in and out with left hip than the right however I stuck to the 6 week restriction with the right one. I've caught myself bending over more than I'm suppose to but no pain. I still use the walker when I shower. I can't walk more than two steps without the cane yet and I'm not pushing it. Looks like you're on your game and attentive, smart. Keep up the good work, just because we can't get there first we're not a rotten egg! :eyebrows:

I went for a short walk on a woodsy path today for the first time since surgery. The path is part of a trail in a nearby conservation area. This short section where I walked is marked as handicap accessible--it's not really accessible for wheelchairs but is good for walking--level and graded--no tree roots or rocks to trip on. The accessible part ends at a bridge over a stream; from that point on the path is rougher. I walked there a lot in the spring and had my need for THR confirmed when I walked the longer portion of the path one day and then hobbled back to the car. Today I only went to the bridge and then back to the car. Good news: I got back into the woods, which is soul satisfying. "Recovery is no walk in the park" news: this short walk, which is usually a relaxing stroll, felt like hard work--my muscles sure do need some exercise.

:)Great to hear you got your nature fix on today.
I hope tomorrow is another good day.:loveshwr:

Hi Gertie: I've been reading your posts with great interest because I will be going for my left THR in September, and had the right THR in July. I've been following your driving posts because I plan on getting back behind the wheel soon. My OS doesn't give an exact timeframe but suggests that I should be off pain meds and feel ready. I am hoping to start driving the week of 8/18, which will be almost five weeks post surgery (but I may try 8/15, which is my one-month surgery anniversary). I only take Tramadol and Tylenol twice a day and my PCP, who I saw on Monday, said I could drive on Tramadol as long as I felt okay.

I noticed you are from Western MA-my best friend lives in Belchertown and my son graduated from Westfield State last year. Were you walking the wooded trails in Stanley Park? There are some beautiful places to walk there-actually, there are beautiful places to walk all over the "413"-it's Massachusetts' hidden gem!

@Hipster64 I bet it will feel great to be behind the wheel again! How's your recovery going? I'm in Amherst, so very near where your friend lives--my walk was in a conservation area near my house. I know Stanley Park--gorgeous rose garden there. Yes, this part of the state is lovely.

At first I kept my drives really short and limited myself to one trip a day because my hip felt so stiff getting in and out of the car but it's gotten much easier and more comfortable.

I only take Tramadol and Tylenol twice a day and my PCP, who I saw on Monday, said I could drive on Tramadol as long as I felt okay.
Just some words of caution...pain meds can slow reaction times.
Tramadol is a controlled substance. Even if your medicine does not affect your driving, you are still driving under the influence so if you are pulled over for a minor offense or an accident where it may not even be your fault...you may still be charged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Mojo333. Even though the PCP said I could drive while taking Tramadol, I remember when I was taking it while still working and being nervous about it. I never took it in the morning because I was driving, and waited until I could get into the office to take Excedrin Migraine ASAP-aspirin-Tylenol and caffeine-because it always did the trick. I only took the Tramadol when I came home after work. Unfortunately, since I am still on baby aspirin twice a day and 2000 mg of Tylenol per day, Excedrin Migraine-my go-to "magic pills"-are out of the question at this time per my OS.

Since I plan to do most of my errands in the morning, and my PCP said that I could wean myself off the Tramadol, I think now is a good time to try getting away with taking only one pill in the evening and seeing what happens. Wish me luck!

Gertie: So far my recovery is going pretty well; thanks for asking! My operated right leg is doing fine, but now the unoperated left leg is starting to be uncooperative. After 9/9 that should be resolved.

Hello and Happy Saturday! :wave:
The nature walk sounds peaceful. I'll bet you loved it.
I hope you'll enjoy many more walks in the weeks to come, slowly increasing your distance. It must be beautiful in the Fall. You're doing well, Lynn.
A great weekend to you!
@gertie

@gertie, I'm doing well, thanks for asking! Sounds like you are recovering nicely from your second THR, and I hope that continues. Physically I am doing well, with recoveries from my previous surgeries. Emotionally I am having difficult times, since a young loved-one of mine has been desperately ill for several months now, in various ICU's, almost died, and is finally doing a bit better, but recovery is not guaranteed.

We leave for our long-planned vacation to Michigan tomorrow, and I feel bad about going and not being here to continue to give my support. But my husband really needs this trip for his physical and mental well-being. We will go, and try to enjoy ourselves, but it will be hard with our loved-one still so ill. Physically I am fairly strong, but my back is weak, and I basically hurt all over my body (except for surgical hip) much of the time, due to osteoarthritis and wear and tear. Take care, Gertie, and continue to heal and enjoy life!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom