TKR Lesions caused by metal sensitivity

Thanks. I will contact her. I think I may have already spoken with her. I am on the west coast and she is in Pennsylvania if it is the same person. Since I am alone, I am concerned about travelling so far away for a surgery.
 
Yes it was she. She is in Reading, PA and recommends a Dr Slotkin. I was going to contact him if Dr Tait in Nevada doesn't work. Dr. Tait is only about 5 or 6 hours drive from where I live and about an hour plane ride so that might be more manageable.
 
I am still having life limiting back pain after all of this time. Is this common?

I believe it is caused by the way I am carrying myself as it feels like muscular pain in my right lower back but sometimes on both sides. I can't even load the dishwasher without having to lie down three times before it is loaded. I can't stand and talk to people at church for more than maybe a minute or two before my back starts burning with pain. I am so much worse off than before my replacement.

I never achieved more than 95 ROM during physical therapy right after my TKR and my physical therapist now feels that my implant is not tracking correctly because it pops in and out of place depending on how I move my knee. It has done this from the very first few hours post op.

I have gone for several opinions about having a revision and I have been told everything from I would end up with an amputation if I had a revision to it would do no good because I have fibromyalgia. I had osteopenia at the time of the TKR but now have osteoporosis in my hip so that may preclude a revision.

I am so frightened of having an amputation that I just dropped the idea of trying to have a revision but as time goes on, I don't want to stay in bed or the wheelchair the rest of my life and am considering trying to find someone to help me again.

Then, because I have metal allergies, I was looking into the Aesculap Revision System instead of the Smith and Nephew Oxinium knee that I have but now I see that there is a class action suit against Aesculap. I can't see going for another Oxinium knee if the first one didn't work for me but other than Aesculap I don't know of another implant for people with metal allergy.

My life is about over since I can't do anything because of my back. I started to try again to find help and took another few months of physical therapy and still my ROM is only 75-85 depending on the day. I have major difficulty putting on my shoes, socks and pants.

I truly hate being like this and have fallen into a depression. Does anyone have any insight about the back pain and what to do about it? Also, why would I be subject to amputation if I had a revision?

Would like to know if there are others who now suffer back pain as a result of having a TKR as well. Thanks.
 
@ucsbgal1971 You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your previous recovery threads. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
why would I be subject to amputation if I had a revision?
Hello again, ucsbgal1971. Gosh, you're still having problems! Well the reason an amputation would happen would be on account of a catastrophic failure of the replacement.

Can't help you about the back - sorry.
 
Hi Josephine, What is a catastrophic failure of the replacement? Is that common in revisions? It indeed sounds ominous. Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Well, here I am again. I hope that you aren't bored with me because I have so benefited from all of your suggestions.

I really don't know if I am in the right place to post. I am finally scheduled to have a revision April 18, 2018 in Henderson, Nevada with a Dr. Robert Tait. I live in the Los Angeles area so have rented an apartment in Henderson for about 4 to 6 months. It is going to be a very costly endeavour for me but I want to do everything possible to make this a success and I thought using the doctor's recommended physical therapist would be a good idea so I will be moving to Nevada for a while.

One question that I have is my doctor is recommending a radiation treatment right before the surgery to stop scar tissue and bone spurs from forming. Apparently, Dr Tait and another doctor are studying this treatment and he has had good success with it. Has anyone here ever heard of this type of radiation treatment or had it?

I think Dr Tait is working with a doctor from Chicago on this research. I am not usually agreeable to become a guinea pig but at this point I am about ready to accept just about any idea that will help me.

I so need to be able to walk again. I even dream about it. Living in a wheelchair is indeed not healthy. Thanks in advance if you know anything about the radiation treatment.

Other than being frightened out of my mind to go to strange state to have a surgery all alone, I am doing well except that I have an egg shaped swelling down at my ankle that popped out after the PA aspirated my knee. I think he hit whatever is hurting me under the kneecap with his needle and I still haven't recovered almost a month later. If anyone knows what that odd swelling and pain at my ankle is, will you let me know? Thanks.
 
Last edited:
I tried to register for the Joint Replacement Awareness day on April 14, but it will not allow me to register because it says that there is already a ucsbgal1971 ID. Will someone explain how I register? Also, how do I change the title of this thread? I think that I would like it to say Upcoming revision April 18, 2018 and sacred to death.
 
Hi @ucsbgal1971. I’m sorry you’re returning because of continued problems, but also glad. We’ll do what we can to help and support you through this time. I’m tagging @Josephine to look at your case. She might have information on the radiation therapy you mention.

And you’re absolutely right. Living in a wheelchair is not something you want to do if you can find a way to walk. We all have this surgery in the first place because we want to walk and live a healthier lifestyle. We want that for you, too!
 
Hi Josephine, What is a catastrophic failure of the replacement? Is that common in revisions? It indeed sounds ominous. Thanks.
I'm going to jump in on this one.
Just because you were told that amputation could be a consequence of a failed revision doesn't mean that it is likely to happen.
In fact, it is extremely unlikely, but you need to be warned of all the possible consequences. Of all the things that might happen, I believe that amputation would be the least likely.

I've had a revision myself and I've been on BoneSmart for 6 years. In all that time, many people have had revisions and not one of them ended up needing an amputation.
 
I tried to register for the Joint Replacement Awareness day on April 14, but it will not allow me to register because it says that there is already a ucsbgal1971 ID. Will someone explain how I register? Also, how do I change the title of this thread? I think that I would like it to say Upcoming revision April 18, 2018 and sacred to death.
Try registering with a different username and tag me to let me know if you were successful or not.
 
Celle, Thank you so much! What a relief to hear that not one has had to have an amputation. Dr Tait told me no amputation. Thank heavens. He thinks the other doctor told me that to get me to go way. I suffered for a year longer than I needed to because he put that fear into my head. I finally decided to go for it anyway and Dr Tait said, "No way." I sure hope it works out that way.
 
Jamie, I tried again and it says, "This email is already registered." Please choose another email. I don't have another email. Am I automatically registered by being a member here?
 
I think I had trouble registering, too, using my user name and email here. I don’t remember how I got in but I did. I only have one email also.
 
I am glad to hear that you are confidant about the doctor you are using. I also would not worry about an amputation---ugh just that word makes me have shivers!!!
 
Me too Skigirl. I like that ID btw. I do like the doctor. His assistant is a bit of a pain. She was a military combat nurse so nice isn't in her vocabulary but I can deal with that and there others with whom I can speak in the office. Amputation not only gives me the shivers, I have nightmares about it. I am now working on positive visualization and will not even consider it. I think that is the best way. I am visualizing a healthy knee that bends and me walking up and down the beach which is not far from my home. I think that is the best way to approach this event. I truly am frightened but everytime I start to feel the fright I just ask the Lord to protect me. I believe he will.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom