The affected hand is another unanticipated side effect of shoulder surgery.
@winemama described using her fingers/hand a lot at first (humorous account actually—read her thread if you haven’t already). I had no desire to use mine. Numb, painful, tingly, crampy, swollen, stiff. All gradually wore off, but I am 8 weeks tomorrow and it still isn’t normal.
I very cautiously did the gentle hand/finger wikihow.com exercises after the first couple of weeks. Tried the Chinese bao bao balls, which are still too much, even the small ones. Left hand is getting pretty good with them.
LOL, I saw lavender-scented therapy clay advertised on thegrommet.com, and thought that might help the hand, but it was pricey. So I got out my play dough. I actually like the smell of it (Proustian childhood memory?), but it would be easy to add lavender oil to it. The left hand loves squeezing it as a stress reliever as well as ROM aid. I think it is helping the right hand, too; I use a small ball and just gently squeeze it. Something for you later on.
My OS reminds me at every visit of the extent of the tendon involved: From the neck, to the shoulder, down the arm, and all the way to the fingertips.