THR Left Total Hip Replacement -anterior approach

I think we are all like that. I wish surgeons did a better job of explaining the recovery. But….in their defense, they don’t usually see patients during this period to witness what goes on. Usually your first appointment is at 6 weeks out from surgery. So, they just may not realize all the little things that go on. This is why BoneSmart exists! We fill in that gap for people.

It sounds like you are prepared. It will be hard to say if six weeks off will be adequate, but it very well could work out just fine, especially if you can do a phased return to work of half days or every other day for a few weeks.
 
@Jamie Do you think I will get an epidural again? The surgeon said the surgery is very short, like 45 minutes to an hour. Of course I will ask the doctor again at my pre-op and I will ask the anesthesiologist too.
 
I’m sure they will do some type of local anesthetic and not a general. I would assume it might be similar to what you had for your knee replacement, though. This is still major surgery even though it’s shorter than a TKR.
 
Good morning, I need a little bit of guidance. It's been 3 months since my THR and i am still very tender when I move certain ways. It's the kind of soreness that makes you want to not push through. I am facing a knee revision in about 5 weeks and I know logically it would be beneficial to have strong thigh muscles and be ready for whatever is ahead after my surgery. I can't do leg raises without that soreness and I don't feel steady enough with my hyperextension to walk any significant amount as exercise. I can do toe raises for my calves. I feel kind of trapped in my limitations. I've tried to search for what I should do but I'm unsure. I truly think the Anterior approach in a THR is a double edged sword. Yes you heal faster, but your thigh muscles are really compromised. Does anyone else relate to this?
 
Good Morning Reader,
What about quad sets? Are you doing those? Either while sitting or lying down. with your leg straight, tighten the thigh by pushing your knee downward, gently. Hold for 5-10 seconds and repeat. Quad sets were on the post op exercise list the surgery sites PT sent me home with. Try those and see what you think.
Great quad strengthener. :thumb:
I hope you have a good day! :SUNsmile:
@Reader525
 
Thank you @Layla! I actually forgot about those. Do you think they build up your strength? How many should I start with.
 
Yes, I do think they will build strength. They are targeting your quad without moving the knee.
I was instructed to
Repeat - 10 times
Hold - 5 seconds
Complete - 1 set
Perform - 3 times daily
So I'd start there.
@Reader525
 
Looking at my exercise sheet from my surgery site, you can also do the Short Arc Quad
Place a rolled up towel of object under your knees and slowly straighten your knee as you raise up your foot.
Repeat - 10 times
Hold - 5 seconds
Complete - 1 set
Perform - 3 times daily
It limits knee motion and effectively strengthens the quad.

I read that glute work supports the thigh also, so you can add a Glute Set it interested,
While lying on your back or sitting, squeeze your buttocks and hold. Repeat.
Repeat - 10 times
Hold - 5 seconds
Complete - 1 set
Perform - 3 times daily

Hopefully this helps! :)
 
Stand to sit exercises in a chair also are good for building strength, if you can do them without pain. But don’t get too hung up on trying to gain strength right now. Because of your hyperextension, it’s more important to keep any irritation to your knee at a minimum. There will be plenty of time after the spacer replacement to exercise and strengthen yourself. It’s more important that you go into the surgery with a calm knee and no inflammation.
 
Good morning, I need a little bit of guidance. It's been 3 months since my THR and i am still very tender when I move certain ways. It's the kind of soreness that makes you want to not push through. I am facing a knee revision in about 5 weeks and I know logically it would be beneficial to have strong thigh muscles and be ready for whatever is ahead after my surgery. I can't do leg raises without that soreness and I don't feel steady enough with my hyperextension to walk any significant amount as exercise. I can do toe raises for my calves. I feel kind of trapped in my limitations. I've tried to search for what I should do but I'm unsure. I truly think the Anterior approach in a THR is a double edged sword. Yes you heal faster, but your thigh muscles are really compromised. Does anyone else relate to this?
I’m 6 weeks out and still very tender in the groin and hip flexors and glute. I was told it takes time for strength to come back and muscles or adjust. Simple exercises like quad squeezes to activate, sit to stands and maybe light side to side shifting to keep things loose.
 
Hi Reader525,
With only days to go until the knee spacer exchange, wondering how you're doing?
Wishing you lots of comfort and peace of mind as you wait out the next 8 days. I hope you'll join us on the Knee Recovery Forum once you're post op.
We're here for support if you need us. :friends:
@Reader525
 
Good morning @Layla, it's one week from today. I am feeling so many things at once! I'm excited/nervous/worried/impatient/happy? I hope so much this turns out to be a good decision. Tomorrow I see the surgeon's PA, Sean, whom I really like, and I'm going to ask every question I can think of! I'll keep posting my anticipatory anxiety, lol.
 
Lifting a prayer for your peace of mind and a successful surgery and recovery. Please keep us posted and know that we're here if you're needing any encouragement before your surgery, and of course afterward also.
Have a great Thursday, Reader, and good luck with the PA tomorrow. I hope he answers all of your questions and offers you comforting reassurance.
@Reader525
 
All my best for your upcoming surgery next week.
It’s nerve wracking waiting to go to the hospital and certainly natural to feel anxious.
Before you know it the surgery will be over and you were be on the recovery road.
 
I had a pretty routine, uneventful pre-op visit with Sean, the PA. It took me longer to get to the office than it did for the visit, lol. He told me the hospital codes the procedure as inpatient so I might have to stay overnight. Arrrggghhh!!! I told him I couldn't imagine anything more terrible and he said they are trying to get it changed. I have had a total knee and total hip replacement and went home the same day. I haven't stayed in a hospital since I gave birth. I wonder if there's anything I can do from my end to prevent it. It's causing me more anxiety than having the surgery.
 
Don't stress over this right now. No matter what is "planned" ahead of time, the decision really won't be made until you are post-op. Once you meet your PT requirements, if your vitals are good, you can tell the attending doctor that you want to be released.

Do you have a time for your surgery yet? If it's early in the morning, your chance to going home same day is much higher than if you have an afternoon procedure.
 
I hope you get your way, but if you have to spend the night it will just be for caution and they'll keep you comfortable. It will go by quickly, IF it's even necessary.
Not long now and you'll be on Recovery Road :walking:Wishing you peace and comfort, Reader.
@Reader525
 
I had the choice with my 2nd THR and chose to stay overnight in the hospital. Easier for me and my wife to stay and drive home the next day.
 
Good Morning Reader.
Tomorrow is a big step forward. You'll begin healing and moving in the right direction.
Wishing you peace for today and courage for tomorrow. I hope you can walk in your surgery site tomorrow with confidence in your team, knowing that you're doing what's necessary to move forward and get your life back on track again. Wishing you a smooth surgery and recovery. Big hugs...you've got this! :friends: :thumb:
@Reader525
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom