THR Left Total Hip Replacement -anterior approach

I know every case is unique and no two people have the same outcomes or conditions, and with that in mind, do you think the OS is going to want to wait until my hip is recovered completely before he would do a spacer replacement? I just have no idea what to think. Here I sit OVER THINKING because what else can someone in recovery do? Lol in a way I would prefer to get the surgery over with because I have such a horrific response to anesthesia that I don't want to wait. But perhaps I need all my strength to deal with another assault on my leg. How does one turn off a racing mind?
 
He should have an idea about a recommendation no later than 3 months. You won’t have to wait for a year for full recovery, I don’t think.

Try to find something else to occupy your busy mind. Reading, games, a hobby, visits with friends…..there are many options so you quit trying to analyze all the possibilities. You cannot change anything right now

Hang in there….lots of patience is required for recovery. You can do this!
 
One other point about the change to your spacer. I misunderstood about when you developed this hyperextension. I have now realized that this extreme hyperextension developed BEFORE you had your hip replaced. Because of this, I agree with your surgeon that you need to get this fixed as soon as possible. It won’t ever get any better otherwise even though you strengthen your muscles during your hip recovery. So when you see him at your next visit, make sure it’s a topic for discussion.

Most surgeons don’t want to do a second surgery unless very necessary until at least 3 months have passed from the first surgery. It’s just too hard on your body to do it unless it’s an emergency. That said, if your hyperextension is causing you pain or seems to be getting worse, you do need to contact the surgeon and let him know. Don’t suffer in silence. Sometimes walking on a poorly functioning joint can result in damage to ligaments or other soft tissue and you don’t want that. Your surgeon needs to know if you’re having difficulty to be sure you’re not making things worse by walking this way. And, in the meantime, please cut way back on your walking. You don’t need thousands of steps each day. The walking of 5-10 minutes every hour or two is adequate until you get your knee resolved.
 
Yes I so agree I need to speak up. My appointment is in about 3 weeks and it will be with the PA, but he's the one who noticed my hyperextension when I met him at my first appointment, he walked in and said, why is your knee hyperextending so much? I liked him right away because I saw how observant and direct he was. He told me the orthopedist was great at revisions and a thicker spacer would be a great idea for me. When I met the surgeon he told me the same thing. I have always had some hyperextension but now it's like I'm Gumby.
 
This is a good plan. Your goal will be to see how soon they can schedule that spacer replacement. In the meantime, do try not to overdo any of the exercises and walking.
 
One thing I tell people is put the Fitbit in a drawer and don't take it out for 3 mos. or more, it's useless. The number of steps do not count for anything, it's the quality of the steps that make the difference. I was a slow learner and learned that lesson the hard way. Walking slowly and deliberately like My Fair Lady with the book on your head is better than trying for speed or distance.
I guess I was very fortunate as I never had any appointments where I didn't see my OS one on one. Even when I did have an appointment with his PA, who was in on my surgeries, he wanted to see me.
 
Walking slowly and deliberately like My Fair Lady with the book on your head is better than trying for speed or distance.
That's a great analogy! I remember, back in the day, that my mom would make me do this "to improve posture."

You are right: quality over quantity!
 
Good morning everyone. I read the link on the information page you have on joint replacement and was particularly glad to see a section on post-op blues. I am having a hard time with this. I think the combination of being physically drained combined with the feelings of frustration, loss of independence and self identity is just too much for our recovering selves. I can see it all intellectually but it doesn't really help alleviate the sadness.
I'm definitely struggling but knowing that all of us do to some extent does give me a sense of "being seen and heard". Thank you.
 
No, it doesn't but I found it so helpful to know that these feelings are so common after surgery -- and not just for joint replacement surgery! People experience post-op blues after heart surgery, cancer surgery and many other procedures. It's a physiological response to the surgery, the medications, etc.

You might also want to scan this thread (if you haven't already) and share your feeling there:
 
You are not alone in feeling sad and depressed. I had crying jags off and on for a variety of reasons one being I couldn’t clean my glass shower doors all the way to the bottom!
It’s all part of your recovery.
My wonderful daughter in law came over and cleaned the bathroom top to bottom. I told her I could do sink and toilet just needed the shower done and glass doors. But she took charge and did the entire room. It looked so nice. Her and I had a cleaning company 100 years ago so she’s a great cleaner and enjoys cleaning like I do.
Added to your frustration is the lack of independence you have for right now but that will change as well.
This site was such a treasure trove of information and support for me when I had my replacement because mine was due to a fall, not a planned surgery so no time to educate myself or prepare. But thank goodness for the folks here that took me under their wing and encouraged me along. You are in the right place here, most of us have been where you are. And I can tell you it gets better.
 
Sending a virtual hug. :console2: Even though you have a full understanding that this will pass, it's still no fun when you're in the midst of it. Hopefully you have some activity that you enjoy and can comfortably engage in until the blues fade away. I'm sorry, Reader. May today be a good one for you.:friends:
@Reader525
 
@Reader525 Yes, you're experiencing all the things that no one told you about before surgery. Many of us have been there. I originally told my boss 6 weeks as per my surgeon. Then I had to keep changing it until I finally was able to work again at 14 weeks. Thank goodness she understood. All that drama added to a life-changing event and disturbed sleep and the blues/depression set in. I'm a good crier so that and a little more time helped. Finally feeling like things were moving forward really helped get things back on track. Whatever it takes, hang in there and do it.

I noticed that you kept mentioning how badly anesthesia affects you. When you decide to get that spacer replaced, talk to the anesthesia team. I've had some significant surgeries since my hip and the anesthesia team was able to tailor what they used so I didn't have some of the bad side effects I had had in previous surgeries. I had absolutely no issues even with general anesthesia. I was even able to request a smaller dose of pre-op med so I didn't feel so "out of it" going into surgery. Just keep it in mind and maybe that will help with some of the anxiety of anticipating another surgery. Blessings.
 
@Hip4life Thank you for your really helpful suggestions. I talked to the anesthesiologist as they were prepping me for my hip surgery and I really liked him and felt he listened to me. I told him I had an epidural when I gave birth and it had given me a spinal headache causing unbelievable complications. He said he would take care of me. I didn't really mind the out of it feeling as they were taking me to the OR. But in spite of that conversation, I went through a few weeks of nausea, especially in the mornings, and the brain fog was awful. So I am not sure what else I can say or do. I anticipate that terrible reaction more than I do the pain I will feel.
I told my husband if I felt okay, if I didn't have the queasiness and fog, I'd be able to handle the pain. To me it's the worst part. :((
 
@Reader525 Emotional ups and downs are something most of us experience post surgery and on and off, even through later stages of recovery. I cried a lot!!! Personally, I struggled with sleeplessness and reacted badly to pain medication. Mood swings and an inability to think clearly were worse than the pain to cope with. I'm usually quite level and upbeat and suddenly becoming slightly unhinged and a bit moody at times made life difficult for me and my nearest and dearest. Simple decision making became like a mensa challenge at times and then the tears that came from nowhere.

It will all pass! Take it all one day at a time. Slow and steady and make the most of anything that is pleasant. Try and find things to distract you from the horrible stuff and just keep telling yourself it doesn't last. Let people around you know that you're struggling, it helps to let them know what's going on in your head :loveshwr:
 
If the doctors didn’t give you medicine to take for the nausea, they should have. That can be helped tremendously with temporary meds. There’s not much to be done about the brain fog except drink lots of water, get as much sleep as you can, and wait it out. It’s something that most people get after surgery.
 
@Deni444 I so relate to what you said. Its so true how many of my emotions are raw and how I over think everything. I do notice a big improvement in the past week and I'm so grateful.
@Jamie The doctor prescribed Zofran, and I'm sure it helped but the strawberry bitterness of it was almost as bad as the nausea! A friend of mine recommended a specific patch, but I cannot remember the name.
 
There is a Scopolamine patch that is often used for motion sickness. If this situation comes up again, you might give that a try. The Zofran is what’s normally prescribed.
 
I haven’t had hip surgery, but I had bilateral (x2) knee surgery last summer and I listened to my body and the team on here and I still am. Their advice is brilliant. The guidelines on here are brilliant.
Please don’t even look at the numbers for a while and simply move about regularly. Give your leg a break as recovery is a complex process and it involves all of you.
Recovery isn't a straight line, and our bodies are in charge, not us. We can’t simply will it better, or walk it better, REST is a huge part of recovery and learning how the ‘patience muscle’ works is probably the biggest lesson for us all on here.
Can you find something you like to do to distract you eg puzzles, colouring, crochet, read etc and maybe this will keep your focus on rest and recovery rather than actual numbers of steps? I keep challenging myself to learn new things. Recently, after an unconnected injury which led to more rest to be required, I learnt to knit a hat on 4 needles instead of two and am now designing and making presents for upcoming birthdays using scraps of wool. I move regularly knowing it’ll be ok and that way I keep positive.
Your body will recover quicker if you give it time to do so and please read the Bone smart guidelines they’re written from many years of experience and thousands and thousands of operations.
Best wishes.
 
Hi everyone, I hope we all are coping well and healing. I have a question, this might be a little bit technical. I have read a lot from my fellow survivors of joint replacement about the after effects of anesthesia and it seems many of us are sensitive to it. Since I am going to have a knee revision, I want to make sure I can advocate for myself well in this regard.

Does anyone know how I can express my needs to the anesthesiologist, and possibly the surgeon before the surgery? I am wondering if Versed is something that I'm sensitive to. My biggest complaint is the brain fog and disinterest in food I have for several weeks after the surgery.

Also Oxycodone is a big no for me and I believe I can handle Hydrocodone better.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! I am so grateful for all of you.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom