Guest viewing is limited

THR Left THR

An answer to an old question and a different joint, but my mother had knee replacement around 25 years ago and they always thought she'd need the other knee done not too long after. But the improved gait seemed to take enough stress off the better knee that, at 90 years old now, she never did need the other done. Still walks well. You are certainly more active but I guess nothing is sure until it happens.

Otherwise, sounds like your recovery is going well--congrats! Back to work is a great milestone!
 
Hello @Humbleservant
I’m doing well, thanks for asking. It’s good to read you’re making such wonderful strides.
I sure hope, Righty, doesn’t hinder you from enjoying the progress you’re making with your new hip. With almost another full month left before your return to work, you’ll be feeling even stronger and steadier on your feet by then. Stay safe and in touch, we love updates as do those following behind you.
Have a great day!
 
3 months post LTHR and back to work this coming Tuesday! Over the past month my physical activity levels have sky rocketed and everything feels great! Had my 3 month post op with surgeon and X-ray and everything looked great again and I’m signed off for work!

The range of motion in my operated hip is amazing compared to what it was preop and for even as long as I can remember! It’s leaps and bounds better than my right hip!

You all were so encouraging to me and I thank you for that! Tho I don’t post a ton, I’m still around and reading/catching up on posts!

Wife is due with our 4th child June 23rd! So what a time to be back to somewhat normal and being able to prepare for another little one in the home!

Something that when I first found out seemed to be a life/job ender, turned out to be a great blessing and allowed me to spend much needed time at home with family as well as allowed me to return to work without the constant pain! As I tried all my gear on the other day and had to do some training with it all on, it gave me no issues!

My wife jokes saying “I’m kind of excited for you to get your right hip done and be home another 3 months”……haha
 
@Humbleservant What a wonderful update!! :yes!: It is terrific to hear you are cleared to get back to work and that your time at home was so great your wife wants another go-round :snork:

Do let us know about the new little one when she/he arrives - are your other littles looking forward to becoming big/bigger brothers?

Blessings to you and your family :cheers:
 
@djklaugh they are so excited for another! They said they need more after their little brother arrives! Thank youuuu!

Ya my wife jokes about that all the time! Haaaaa
 
@Humbleservant Great update! All the best for your return to work. Hope you can ease in and balance activity with just a bit of rest. The first weeks can be tiring.

Looking forward to your update on the new arrival!
 
Great report @Humbleservant! The time you have spent here supporting other members is greatly appreciated! Hopefully you will still have time occasionally to check in, your story is a great one for members to see. Congrats on the new addition to the family! Raising children feels like my biggest accomplishment in life.
 
Oh how I love this update!
Hopefully your first couple days back to work are going well. Your happiness shines through your words, so sweet to read...and soon the joy of another baby. You’re blessed. Life is good!

Thanks for protecting and serving, it’s much appreciated.
Stay in touch! :)
@Humbleservant
 
First couple days back the hip was noticeably sore from having all the gear on, but I was as cautious as possible and very aware of my movements I’ll just say that, and with how quick and jerky my movements were! Was hard not to think about the hip when responding to calls! But all is well and being a week in, the hip feels more adjusted to the extra weight of the gear!
When humidity was high and rainy days I noticed my hip would be more sore which I know is typical!
 
:wave: Please Do rest all you can when not on duty...
New hips can certainly complain about the extra weight.
I was coming home and icing to counteract my return to more strenuous activity ...
Still early days.

Congrats on your new baby on the way.
 
Was hard not to think about the hip when responding to calls!

I can imagine! It seems the hip remains in the forefront of our mind for quite some time. I can honestly say at almost four years post op, while I do think about it several times per day as I’m active, basically cautionary thoughts, it’s no longer in the forefront of my mind. The fact that it comes to mind for you is good as it will help you to remain cautious.
Stay safe out there....crazy world these days!
 
Thank you for all your updates @Humbleservant I just went through your 7 pages of posts. I am a paramedic an going through major issues with mine, so to read what you went through and going through with your recovery is incredibly helpful, especially when it's a fellow crew member. My husband is also an officer. Keep up the good work and looking forwards on your next posts and updates.
 
Coming up on 6 months post op and other than UNWANTED weight gain, everything’s going pretty good! Still not comfortable with anything further then a light jog (very quickly just to see how it feels)……… also noticing I still need to pay attention to my gait and heel to toe bc I still catch myself reverting to a limp!

Funny story, I realized my reverting back to limping at certain points AND THE WEIGHT GAIN by watching myself walk on the security cameras at the police station ! I watched a replay and

I also noticed a lack of energy! I think with being pretty immobilized for a bitafter surgery and maybe eating like **** and weight gain probably had something to do with it! Hahaha
 
Understandable weight gain! After my last TKR I suddenly had to run to get out of the way of a bus which had unexpectedly appeared round a corner. I couldn't believe how uncoordinated I was! It was shocking. I never tried to run again. Too scary.
Good tip re security cameras. I must find some and practise walking in front of them. Should I carry out some sort of petty crime in order to view the film?!
 
@Humbleservant ---So glad you're doing well! Also hope all went well
with your sweet new baby!

@Spex10 ---Soo glad you were able to get away from the BUS! Whoa!

Funny story, I realized my reverting back to limping at certain points AND THE WEIGHT GAIN by watching myself walk on the security cameras at the police station

I must find some and practise walking in front of them. Should I carry out some sort of petty crime in order to view the film?!

LOL at the CAMERAS! Your posts are making me visualize seeing myself on
camera, and ....Noooo!!! The horror! LOL! :yikes:
Not just from my limping and dependence on my walker, but, as Humbleservant said...the WEIGHT GAIN....yes, I'm also CAPITALIZING like he did.


Aside from verrrrry much decreased mobility, mine is also due to the first part of
the pandemic, I was SO freaked out at the thought of quarantine, afraid
to go ANYWHERE, etc. I ate SO. MANY. cookies,
candies, cakes, and rice krispy treats to deal with the worry.
 
Last edited:
@Puggles I did that in the first lockdown but made a conscious effort to lose weight before my op. Yes it's awful at first but once you get used to it's fine. It was lovely seeing the difference but also feeling the increased fitness level.
 
I still catch myself reverting to a limp!

I did this also. Only I didn’t realize it. It was pointed out to me on occasion and seemed to happen when I was tired, just as you mentioned noticing a lack of energy along with your limp. It will ease, I’m quite sure. Mine did.

Weight gain….yes, we’ve heard a lot about the Covid 19, just like the Freshman 15. So much easier and more fun to put on, than to take off. You Can Do It though, I have confidence in that.

Six months already…wow! Happy Six Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a wonderful week. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom