Lounge Doctor

THR Left THR

Humbleservant

Country
United States United States
@Layla , mojo, Jaycey, FCBayern, Raftin21 - Hey all! So thankful for you all! I went in a little nervous this morning, again for not ever having surgery(EVER) lol...... I was the first one in at 6am and operating room just before 7 and in recovery by 10! The staff was absolutely awesome and I was able to ask a ton of questions! They gave me something to relax me before anything because I told them it was my first time having surgery! The anesthesiologist gave me the spinal block which actually felt great and then I don’t remember a whole lot after that! Woke up a little groggy! They asked me if I wanted an oxycodone which I gladly accepted and they had me on crutches, showed me stairs and once I was able to use the restroom they let me go home, and I’m home now with ice and elevation! The joint itself is achy but overall not bad at all and I’m very pleased with the process, staff and result thus far! I think I’m gonna sleep in my recliner for at least the first couple nights!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:welome:Welcome to the bright side!

Glad you made it home safely! I hope you’re resting comfortably and your pain is well managed. I slept in my recliner for three weeks. Stuffed a pillow in the side and was snug as a bug in a rug. Didn’t have to worry about rolling over, or getting bumped in bed.

Wishing you comfort and many cozy naps in the days to come. :sleeep: I’ll leave the Recovery Guidelines again below.

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

JohnWilky

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
You're Home !!!! Brilliant , I was done at 15-00 till 17-00 ish , mirror Les the same procedure, spinal was a bit hairy missed the spot s couple of times resulting in massive electric shocks down leg , not nice but apart from the shock no pain , I too dozed off aided and woke feeling groggy but fine. On your feet amazing just content wiggling toes ,don't think I could stand up though that's impressive, treatment by amazing staff here in Salford ,any tips what I should be doing be with legs ,still wired up ( me that is ) no real pain getting a bit achy. Well done

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Humbleservant Welcome to the other side. Just keep in mind - you are discharged from hospital TO heal, not yet healed. Easy does it. Stay ahead of any pain.

@JohnWilky please start your own recovery thread so that we can follow your journey as well!

OP
OP
Humbleservant

Humbleservant

Country
@FCBayern thank you! Keeping with pain meds! The joint area itself is sore and my left buttox is pretty sore! When I get up to go to the bathroom (which I’ve only done once) I feel like I need to tighten my whole leg to crutch along or it feels very weird and uncomfortable!

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
Your leg and hip have been through a LOT of trauma in just the last few hours. It's not unusual to have all sorts of weird feelings, and even the inability to lift your leg into bed (log leg). On top of the trauma they likely put a numbing agent right in the joint during surgery, it really helped with my immediate post op pain, but did seem to add some weird feelings until it wore off.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi @Humbleservant - and welcome to recovery. I'm glad everything is going so well.

I've edited your first post a little, to remove the multiple tags.
When you start a post with a lot of tags, it does make it difficult for people reading on small devices because those tags take up so much room.

You might find this article helpful:
Tagging other members and answering tags

Best wishes for continued good progress.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Move that ice pack around icing any / all areas of discomfort. I iced pretty much whenever I was sitting or laying down, which was often in those early days. I would even fall asleep with an ice pack at night, switching it out during an overnight bathroom run.
Ice...your best friend in the beginning. :yes: :ice:

Shellb

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Wow home the same day! How cool. Are you young? Does anyone medical check in on your are you just left to it with a family member? BP wise/ safety with mobility/ pain etc?
I didn't want to go home on day 2 even though I was allowed. Haha. Private hospital, great meals, no kids!

Take care @Humbleservant

OP
OP
Humbleservant

Humbleservant

Country
@Shellb i am 34 years old so yea pretty young! I went in for 6am and home by 2pm! Even tho it’s hurting, I had the spinal so I’m pretty awake and with it as opposed to others that I know who have had general anesthesia as they said they were out of it for a day or 2! I was very happy with doctors and staff! I’m crunching it to the bathroom (log of discomfort) and my 3 children under 5 years old are taking it pretty well and thus far haven’t jumped on dad

Raftin21

Country
I am so happy that it went so well!!! Congrats!

Now just get lots of rest, ice and sleep! And watch those kiddos jumping on you! I can’t tell you how many times mine have bumped me by accident... not pretty!

:ice::sleep:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good to see you on the Healing Side, new hippy pal.:happydance:
I know these first days are rough, so try to roll with it and rest and Ice all you can.:ice:
I certainly understand your nervousness about the babes.... Their memories are awfully short.:unsure:
Maybe when you get a dressing change, they can check out your big boo boo and that might impress on them to be careful with poor daddy.
Healing vibes coming your way.

OP
OP
Humbleservant

Humbleservant

Country
First night slept actually pretty good! Beginning of day 2 post op and I’m a whole lot more sore and get cold real easy!been keeping up with pain meds through the night still really sore but manageable!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Many of our members report feeling cold post op. Some of this may be shock. Or you may run a low grade fever. All normal. Hot drinks and lots of blankets.

Nap throughout the day if you can.

OP
OP
Humbleservant

Humbleservant

Country
@Jaycey i plan on it lol! I got up to go to the bathroom and felt real wooozy

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good Morning! Happy to read you slept well. The dizziness / lightheadedness could possibly be from meds, so be careful to sit a bit before standing and stand a minute before taking off. Go slow in these early days, obviously the last thing you want to happen is to fall if you’re feeling woozy. Stay adequately hydrated also.
I hope today is a good day! :) We’re here if you need us.
@Humbleservant

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Countrybumpkin
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom