Revision TKR Left, right, left again

Thank you @Layla
CT scan was uneventful. I will get the results on 7th January. My right knee has started to feel much better so maybe it was all due to my left knee problem. My recovery is continuing to go really well. I’ve not needed any paracetamol for a few days now although I will be happy to take some if I feel the need. I’m finding the physio exercises much easier and the aching on my left knee has mainly gone. I really feel very fortunate indeed. No idea what sort of bend I have but I can do all I need to do. I still have some swelling so I’m sure it will slowly get even better as that gradually resolves. Happy Thursday everyone
 
CT scan was uneventful. I will get the results on 7th January. My right knee has started to feel much better so maybe it was all due to my left knee problem. M
Hope this is true.
I certainly found that one joint could lead to problems/ pain on the other side- presumably due to uneven weight bearing.
 
Fingers crossed for favorable results in nineteen days.
Happy Three Month Anniversary. Wishing you a wonderful holiday season!
@Toothfairy
:snow:christmas-angel:snow:
 
Thank you @Layla
I am doing really well. My knee is sometimes a still a bit stiff but it’s early days now. It has taken me through the festive season standing around singing with my choir at several performances and also dancing g the night away at the Christmas Ball. No complaints from me.
I’ll report back in January when I get my scan results.
Wishing you and all at Bonesmart a very happy festive season. ❄️☃️‍
Very best wishes to everyone.
 
I am just over three months in. My recovery has been great and exceeded my expectations so far. This past week or two my revision knee has become a bit more swollen and a bit more tight due to the swelling .
my logical and well educated by bonesmart brain tells me it’s because I am only 3 months through a 12 month plus recovery and I have been doing much more walking/ standing etc and not resting / icing/ elevating.
My panicking brain tells me it is all going wrong. I’ve damaged my new knee.
I know that’s nonsense. I haven’t done anything extreme. I’ve not had any falls etc.
I just need to listen to my logical brain and trust in all my bonesmart knowledge. I’m going to try to rest a bit more for the next few weeks and ice and elevate.
Bonesmart is such a fabulous resource. Thank you to all who contribute and to all those wonderful Staff members who support everyone so patiently. :presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
Bonesmart is such a fabulous resource. Thank you to all who contribute and to all those wonderful Staff members who support everyone so patiently. :presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
Thank you so much for your kind words. They make me feel so good! It is a blessing to know that Bonesmart is helpful to so many out there that have gone through their surgeries. It can be a scary and lonely place when a person doesn't know what to expect.
 
my logical and well educated by bonesmart brain tells me it’s because I am only 3 months through a 12 month plus recovery and I have been doing much more walking/ standing etc and not resting / icing/ elevating.
It sounds like you have an idea as to why you're dealing with swelling. Go with your plan to rest, ice and elevate more over the next few weeks and stay in touch.

Thanks for the sweet sentiment in regard to BoneSmart! It's appreciated...just as we appreciate you!
Merry Christmas, Toothfairy!

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Hi @Toothfairy

Yes, I have noted that many of our knee members reach a point somewhere around 3 - 4 months where mentally being "over it" translates as more activities while slacking of rest, icing, and elevation.

Bear in mind at 3 months, bones, tendons, and ligaments are just achieving basic healing. It's definitely a time for incremental improvements, which is why we encourage folks to record and celebrate every tiny milestone here.

So it's natural that every now and then a person will test their current limits - how else to gauge improvement? - and end up with a day or two in the ODIC.

If you can point to a particular activity or distance or time, it's helpful during your day or two of rest to figure out how to reduce that by about 1/3 and see how that works, then increase by small increments every several days.

Best to you and yours for Christmas and the new year!
 
My panicking brain tells me it is all going wrong. I’ve damaged my new knee.
I had a few spells like that in the first year.
Sometimes it's obvious when you've overdone it - other times it really isn't that clear why something has irritated the healing knee. I remember going to the theatre at around 6 months and the seats were just a bit cramped and it was a long play. My knee hated it and I felt that must be a sign of some underlying issue. I also used to get worried about the continuing temperature difference in my knees.
It is so easy to get into doom scrolling knee complications and hard to get reassured.
Bonesmart is good for helping to get that reassurance. Also I found reading my own thread helped to see the progress.
 
Thank you. I really appreciate all the words of wisdom. I think I have just overdone things in the run up to Christmas. I’ve rested more the past few days and I am feeling an improvement. It’s helpful to hear the advice from others. I do appreciate all of you. . Long car journey tomorrow as we need to go to visit my elderly mother for a few days. It will be interesting to see how that goes. :dubious:
 
Safe travels tomorrow, Toothfaity! Enjoy creating some unforgettable memories with your mom.
Take breaks during the long car ride to stretch / walk and you should do well.
If we don't hear from you again before the end of the year...Wishing you many blessing in 2025!
@Toothfairy
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
Overdue update.
Christmas travel went well. I was a bit stiff and sore the day after each journey but it quickly resolved.
I saw the physiotherapist again on 6th January and she confirmed that all was well and my revised knee is doing really well. My scan review appointment with the consultant was helpful. My right knee is looking good. There is one bit with the beginnings of a potential problem but nothing that needs action for the foreseeable future. I have a review appointment for my left knee in six months. I am pretty much back to normal now. I’m able to recognise when I’m overdoing it and rest so I recover quickly. Life is good. I am back on my exercise bike most days. Taking it gently but enjoying it. I’m hoping to get out on my bike when the weather improves. I’ve not been out on my bike for a long time so it will be short and gentle.
 
I am pretty much back to normal now. I’m able to recognise when I’m overdoing it and rest so I recover quickly. Life is good.
Wonderful!
Thanks for the update. Good to read you enjoyed your vacay and handled it well.
 
Yesterday I got on my bike . It was a lovely morning so my husband dusted it off and we drove to a car park near our destination. It was a bit of a shock discovering that I needed to bend my knee quite a bit more on my bike compared to my exercise bike but I soon relaxed into it. It was a short flat ride, just over two miles each way with a gentle walk and a coffee at our destination. I was so pleased with myself. No significant after effects. Very slight stiffness, no pain. I did realise that I will have to build the distance slowly. I will aim to do this ride again soon and don’t plan to increase the distance or move onto hills until it feels a bit easier. It was so good to be out on my bike.
 
That is brilliant progress. Well done!
Good to plan to improve slowly
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom