THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

@Coddfish I don't mean to be too negative about the Nuffield. One factor is that it's 2 hours drive to the hospital for me. I'm sure I could request a face to face, session with the physio if I wanted it. It's true they don't put themselves out to offer but during my last video call, my physio did state that I could contact them anytime. So it's partly the distance issue, because I'm not in a hurry to request a session. The other factor is that due to my very poor mobility prior to surgery and the very poor state of the leg up next, what I can and should do is a bit limited.

I'm doing OK. Of course I'd love to be doing better but I'm reminded of that squiggly line drawing depicting recovery. I'm going up, down and round and round but gradually it all gets better. I loved what you said... One day, I'll be walking without aid and this will all be a distant memory.

Thanks for the kind encouragement!
 
Hi @Deni444, quite understand the distance issue. In contrast my hospital is within a 30 minute drive and also my husband is itching to support me until I can drive myself. My first procedure was during Covid restrictions so he had to sit outside in the car when he took me.

Are you keeping a diary of how you feel and what you have been able to do? It might help keep reassuring you that you are making progress. Everyone says it’s different for everyone, and you do carry the burden of your previous period of inactivity and the other troublesome hip. It will indeed get better. If you have real world friends who have been through this, I am sure you will have seen how utterly transformative it becomes. Don’t compare yourself to others. My first experience of getting it done early whilst I was still fairly fit paid dividends and informed my decision to do the same thing this time. On that basis I may well have an easier journey than you but it’s not necessarily going to be the case. Looking forward to both of us being at the point where we have forgotten all about this!
 
@IndigoKnee …. Remember that it is okay to use a walker still. I’ve never felt very stable with crutches and with both knees and my hip, I used my walker until I was walking well enough to use a cane. The good thing about a walker when you’re out and about is that it gives you the best support possible. It’s also a good signal to others that you don’t have full mobility right now. Most people will hold doors or do other helpful things when they see a person with a walker. They also are more aware of you and keep a distance. I found that very comforting until I felt I had good control over my balance and strength.
 
Thanks @Jamie I've never used a walker. In hospital I used crutches once I was get out of bed (had 12 days bedridden due to other problems) and then came home with crutches.
 
If you have access to borrow one, you might give a walker (or “frame” as they are called in the UK) a try. Sometimes you can rent them as well.
 
For me using crutches is like saying hello to old friends. I had bilateral bunion surgery some years ago and with two non weight bearing feet, I became comfortable with them. I'll be happy to put them away but for now they enable me to be more active than I'd be without them. I remember navigating the London underground with them hoping it would bag me a seat... No chance :heehee:
 
I also find the good old elbow crutches are the best compromise. It may be a UK thing but we are always transitioned from a walker to elbow crutches very quickly. I was on elbow crutches less than 24 hours after surgery and found them so much easier to move around with than the walker. I am not sure how you could contemplate stairs with a walker, or use one on uneven ground. I generally find the crutches are enough of a signifier for people to get out of your way - yesterday when I was out on our prom, a mother brought a group of sprawling children under control very quickly when she saw my crutches. I am slightly surprised at the concern on one of the other threads that you might break an arm if you fall whilst using them - true, but I would have thought the whole reason for using them was to reduce the risk of falling! And I really don’t want to fall and dislocate my hip!

As ever I think it’s a case of using the equipment you feel most comfortable with until you reach a point where you feel comfortable without support.

Hiking poles are another step down option - I have a set of ‘bear paws’ on the end of mine, intended for urban power walking. I used them to regain fitness last time and depended on them a lot as I lost mobility ahead of the operation. I think you can put those sorts of feet, or a standard bell shaped ferrule, onto any standard hiking pole. Mine are Urban Poling Activators. Leki make similar things.
 
Thanks for everyone's input. @Jamie I think I'll carry on with crutches outside as a walker wouldn’t be practical where I live. @Coddfish it was the Dr I saw at the hospital following recent Xrays that said about breaking my arm if I fell with crutches! Having dislocated my hip when I fell and fractured the femur I think I’d rather have the option of breaking my arm than going through the agony of that again. Prior to my hip fracture I used Nordic walking poles for a number of years which I found really useful particularly walking here on rough coastal paths. I wasn’t using them the day of the fall because I was in a town situation not doing what I’d call 'proper walking'! I hope to go back to them quite soon, though in fact having done some research I found a company who are now making a similar pole but working with physiotherapists it’s slightly different and unlike the Nordic poles you’re not strapped into it so I’ve just ordered a pair of those. For anyone in the UK that’s interested the company is called WALX Rather a nuisance to buy yet another pair of poles as I already have three sets of Nordic poles but they look a good safe alternative for the moment – spoke to the company on the phone for about half an hour and they were really helpful. I do find people give me space and consideration when using my crutches.
@Deni444 I think the only way crutches would help you on the London underground is if you whacked somebody’s legs with them and asked them to give you a seat :heehee:
 
My poles aren’t strapped in either, they have an ergonomic handle which is both secure and comfortable. I will be grateful to transition back to them - 30 minutes walking with the elbow crutches this morning had no consequences for the hip but was hard on the hands. Despite wearing cycling gloves to cushion them.
 
Thanks for the tips on different feet for walking poles! @IndigoKnee @Coddfish

I've got some good poles and didn't realise you could get different feet! I do have a walking stick with a really useful foot. It's flexible and so grips better on uneven surfaces. Much safer than the standard foot, especially when it's wet. I think it's useful information to know about all the different feet for mobility aids.

It's definitely not a one design fits all scenario. It depends a lot on environment and individual strength and agility. One reason I'm still using my crutches is that my property doesn't have an even surface. I've got a pretty wild garden and indoors has numerous slightly different levels. Not steps but the kind of slight drops or raised doorway that are easy to trip on. I personally find that I pay much more attention to what I'm doing when I use my crutches. It's as much about being cautious whilst I'm still vulnerable than absolutely needing them all the time. A walker was not an option for me as my right leg didn't fit between the gap due to now drifting out.

Following the comments above, I think I'll consider transitioning to my walking poles when ready and purchasing new feet for them.
 
As far as I know the tungsten tip in poles is always the same, so different types of ‘feet’ should help. You probably want the bell shaped ones that are similar to the ferrules on elbow crutches. Your house sounds challenging. My sister in law used to live in an old cottage in the countryside on a ridiculous slope and with very steep stairs etc. She had 2 knee replacements and was more or less grounded for a while because of her environment. But she got through it, and you will.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Deni!
I hope you had a nice weekend and have a lovely week to come. :flwrysmile:
@Deni444
 
Wow, Two Month Anniversary already!

Thank you! @Layla :) What a journey it has been. My recovery has been a bit all over the place the last couple of weeks but today I have been getting around my kitchen quite comfortably on one crutch. I even carried a cup of tea across the house to my hubby in his study. It reminded me of earlier on in my recovery when desperate for a hot drink in the early hours of the morning. I made coffee and put it in a canning jar, so I could carry it in my dressing gown pocket back to my recliner.

A drink carrying milestones :yes!:
 
Morning @Deni444 :wave:
Small milestone like making and carrying a drink are so important. I can do that as well now but to take a drink upstairs I still use an insulated mug that I can put in my small backpack. Also I use a pasta style bowl for my dinner as less chance of the food sliding off the plate when carrying from kitchen to dining room!
Have you got the appointment now to discuss the second hip?
 
We learn all kinds of new ways of getting everyday stuff done after hip replacement. What was once so easy & routine now becomes a challenge but we rise to the occasion & create new ways of getting the job done!
Plus all the great tips we read about here. Invaluable knowledge.
 
No, I haven't received an actual date yet. The wheels on the NHS bus go around very slowly :heehee: @IndigoKnee

@myglasshalffull My latest party trick is picking things up with my crutches and flicking them. Kind of like 'crutches' basketball meets chopsticks. How long was it before you could bend down to pick something up?
 
Hi Deni, Happy Tuesday!
Guessing you've heard of the golfers reach? If not, here is a visual for when the time is right.

Golfers reach
[Bonesmart.org] Lily's recovery

Be sure you hold on to something when you first attempt this.
@Deni444
 
@Layla Thanks! I am using that technique to pick up low down items but sometimes things are in places that make it difficult. I was wondering when we can just bend our knees and reach down. How long was it before you could just stoop or crouch down and grab?
 
Hi Deni,
Honestly, It is difficult for me to remember because it was 8 yrs ago now. I didn't journal very well either, which is a regret of mine. It's great you are taking notes with your first hip so you have a point of reference for your second, even though no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person.

I was pretty disciplined in user the golfers reach. I still don't really squat down very often, but there are certain times I do. When I do squat I normally use my hand / arm as support. Holding onto something will allow you to put as much weight through your hand as needed to allow it to feel comfortable for your hip. Keep in mind also that doing so is usually harder on knees than hips.

I also believe that as far as timelines go, a lot has to do with the physical condition we are in pre-op. If you really struggled going through the motions pre-op, you were in a lot of pain for a length a time and used an assistive device, recovery will undoubtedly be a little slower, but eventually you'll get there.
@Deni444
 
@Deni444 Your crutch flick reminds me of a situation I got into back in the day. Dropped both crutches (this was just a couple of weeks after my BTHR and I was home alone). Tried to use grabber to pick them up ... and dropped that too. Sigh, need to get up was getting urgent. AHA! I had a long handled back scratcher on the table (my feet had been itching and with the no bending rule active I had to reach them some how) ... so I used that to scoop up crutches and then the grabber too.

Since I had both hips replaced at the same time I could not use that handy golfer's bend ... I think it took me about 3 months before I could bend down enough to pick something off the floor. Grabbers work wonderfully for many things .... but not real well for small stuff. I once had to wait all day for house mate to get home to pick up some coins I'd spilled out of my purse.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom